Prospect Info: Canucks Take D Joni Jurmo at 82nd Overall (JYP Jyväskylä)

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
There must be some weakness that most teams were concerned about for a "best skating D with size" to drop to this spot. Is it the way he thinks or approaches the game? On the surface it would sound like training with Heiskanen in the off-season should definitely be a positive.

I think he's an all tools, no toolbox type. Or that's what the scouts believe.

Definitely worth the gamble.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
the more I read about him and watch him, he's incredibly intriguing.

His tools alone will get him to pro hockey, it's just a matter of figuring out the other aspects of the game to keep him in the NHL. Hopefully Sami Salo can mentor him in Finland.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I was referring to style of play.

I wasn't. I was referring to their results. It'll be interesting to compare the results of two Finnish defensemen drafted by the Canucks and playing in the same league. That seems like an obvious enough point to me, but still worthwhile. Your comment that the only thing they have in common is their nationality makes no reference to style of play.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wasn't. I was referring to their results. It'll be interesting to compare the results of two Finnish defensemen drafted by the Canucks and playing in the same league. That seems like an obvious enough point to me, but still worthwhile. Your comment that the only thing they have in common is their nationality makes no reference to style of play.

Well as a Canucks fan it's obviously nice to see them play against each other. But I'm not sure there's much you can get out of it.

Utunen is 2 years older. Their strengths and weaknesses are almost the opposite of each other. Utunen's offensive game never developed despite seemingly having the capacity to do so. He's not an elite skater and isn't going to end up on the highlight reels rushing the puck. He's more like a smaller Tanev: High hockey IQ, reads the play well, defends well and makes few mistakes. Jurmo is like the opposite. He's an elite dynamic skater who likes to rush the puck. But he is raw defensively.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There must be some weakness that most teams were concerned about for a "best skating D with size" to drop to this spot. Is it the way he thinks or approaches the game? On the surface it would sound like training with Heiskanen in the off-season should definitely be a positive.

How is he with the puck defensively, any good?

The "bad" scouting reports think his defensive game is raw and question the quickness of his decision making. He often tries to skate the puck out instead of passing which he probably can't do at the NHL level. He also didn't play in the Liiga in his draft eligible year.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Well as a Canucks fan it's obviously nice to see them play against each other. But I'm not sure there's much you can get out of it.

Utunen is 2 years older. Their strengths and weaknesses are almost the opposite of each other. Utunen's offensive game never developed despite seemingly having the capacity to do so. He's not an elite skater and isn't going to end up on the highlight reels rushing the puck. He's more like a smaller Tanev: High hockey IQ, reads the play well, defends well and makes few mistakes. Jurmo is like the opposite. He's an elite dynamic skater who likes to rush the puck. But he is raw defensively.

I entirely agree. I stand by my outrageous hot take that it will be "mildly interesting" to compare their results. The contrast in their profiles and skills is part of what will make it interesting, but there's not much that can be taken from a direct one-to-one assessment. (If, on the other hand, Jurmo blows away Utunen's results at the same stage, I predict some will see something positive in that.)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I entirely agree. I stand by my outrageous hot take that it will be "mildly interesting" to compare their results. The contrast in their profiles and skills is part of what will make it interesting, but there's not much that can be taken from a direct one-to-one assessment. (If, on the other hand, Jurmo blows away Utunen's results at the same stage, I predict some will see something positive in that.)

Haha well, it would be nice if Utunen takes another step forward in his development. Right now he has 1? career goal playing in the Liiga so the odds are he won't score a goal? He also had 3 points in 32 points last season so the odds are he won't get onto the scoresheet? Thanks can change quickly of course.

Reactions: lindgren

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
This kid better be ready he's going to need to suit up for game one with the Canucks this season.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
On average, 9 to 13 of the 30 players in the third round become NHL regulars. Basically 1 in 3. If this kid sorts out his minuses and continues to develop the pluses he has, I see no reason that he couldn't be one of those players. I really like this pick. Would have been a 2nd round pick in a less loaded draft.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Any time an 18 year old kid is able to hold his own in a full-on men's professional league, it's a promising sign. Certainly Jurmo has an NHL set of wheels.....but the defensive side of his game needs a lot of work.

But he'll get a full year of development playing in Finland and I assume will be in the lineup for the Fins at the WJHC in Edmonton.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Wasn't in the lineup again today, and looks to be the 8th D for JYP (Liiga). I think it'd be best for him to be sent to the U20 team, but some teams seem to be hesitant to move player around due to Covid. Hopefully he doesn't get stuck in roster management limbo for too long.

Edit* - I've been looking forward to watching him live, but it seems unlikely for now.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Wasn't in the lineup again today, and looks to be the 8th D for JYP (Liiga). I think it'd be best for him to be sent to the U20 team, but some teams seem to be hesitant to move player around due to Covid. Hopefully he doesn't get stuck in roster management limbo for too long.

Edit* - I've been looking forward to watching him live, but it seems unlikely for now.

So ... you're in Finland? What town?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
So ... you're in Finland? What town?

Haha! No, I live near Vancouver. I was hoping to catch him play live instead of looking up breakdowns/highlight videos, but atm it looks like he's not going to play often.

Watching him live in arena would be awesome, but that IS unlikely :laugh: (at least until he makes the Canucks :naughty:).

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

An interesting breakdown of his play, from Daniel Gee.

Couple things:

1. Immediately watch him and see a ton of NHL potential.

2. Fantastic skater, the power from that 2nd clip of him is impressive

3. seems smart enough to activate from the point and from the d end into the offensive end.

4. size

5. haven’t watched enough to know if how smart he is.

overall think he has great potential.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With no playoff hockey; no international tournaments; and no scouting combine, this player might have fallen further than he should have simply because of a lack of viewing in the last couple of months of the season.

Last time a d-man in the third round worked out really well for the Canucks was Alex Edler in 2004, who was drafted out of some beer league in Northern Sweden. So you just never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad