Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign W Nils Hoglander to 3y/3m AAV Contract

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
They are paying for a bigger breakout, I’m not a big fan of the deal, but I do understand it, and it’s a nice gamble.

I’m obviously not as high on him as others on here, would have preferred and see if he could repeat his goal scoring this past season.

Three years is a decent length. (Cap going up also)

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Weird timing for this it feels like. I like it, but thought he'd be the one traded for a defender later this year.

Reactions: David71

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Honestly was not expecting this. I thought both parties were going to hedge on how this season went. If he pops this is going to be a tidy deal.

Before this deal, he struck me as Vancouver’s best give-to-get trade asset—and maybe he still will be with this cost certainty locked in?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
giphy.gif

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
This is what I like to call a gamble deal. If he breaks out this season then this is a steal.

Also think he is under rated around here.

Regardless, we lockup what is arguably one of our best 2nd round picks in the last decade.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I would’ve preferred to see how Hog does this year before committing a $3M AAV, but can’t complain with this too much. I like the player a lot.

I do wonder what this might mean for Garland in the next 12-18 months. He seems like he’s part of the group, but a weird spot with Joshua/Hoglander locked up in the $3Ms and Garland making $5M not on the “second” line.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I think it is basically fair and addresses two simple facts:

1. They haven't got a lot of cap space or assets to chase bigger fish, and
2. There's no one else in the organization with any realistic chance to fill a middle-six left wing role in the next three seasons.
Still RFA at the end of the contract.
Nope, he'll be UFA when the new deal expires.

Reactions: Lindgren

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Weird timing, thought they’d wait to prove this past season wasn’t a fluke and shooting % bender. He looked great in the limited preseason games I watched, but still skeptical as his hockey sense isn’t amazing.

If he takes another step & can maintain the scoring rate without the high % it’s a steal of a deal, but if not…it could get ugly fast.

Not sure why they decided to take that kind of risk, but we’ll see how it turns out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad