Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign G Kevin Lankinen to 1y/0.875m Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Solid goaltending depth is proving to be more and more important in an era where we have giant goalies constantly in danger of blowing out knees and hips.
Coaches are still very reticent to manage the work load of a goaltender who has a hot hand.
Hopefully, last year showed Tocchet and Allvin that they need to ease off a bit on Demko. And they can do so by having some reliable options that they aren't afraid to play.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Solid goaltending depth is proving to be more and more important in an era where we have giant goalies constantly in danger of blowing out knees and hips.
Coaches are still very reticent to manage the work load of a goaltender who has a hot hand.
Hopefully, last year showed Tocchet and Allvin that they need to ease off a bit on Demko. And they can do so by having some reliable options that they aren't afraid to play.
DeSmith had a good year last year, barring a couple stinkers. He started 27 games but a good chunk of that was once Demko was already hurt. I expect Lankinen to be better than DeSmith, but hope he is given a healthy run of games even when Demko is back to full strength. Between Lanky and Silly I'd like to see them start 35-40 regular season games at least.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
DeSmith had a good year last year, barring a couple stinkers. He started 27 games but a good chunk of that was once Demko was already hurt. I expect Lankinen to be better than DeSmith, but hope he is given a healthy run of games even when Demko is back to full strength. Between Lanky and Silly I'd like to see them start 35-40 regular season games at least.

DeSmith and Lankinen had pretty comparable statistical years, actually. I’d say they are similar in terms of being reliable backup types, but obviously Lankinen is materially younger.

Clearly prefer to have Lankinen on this contract versus DeSmith’s AAV and term.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Over-depth signing which basically means we’ll get a free 3rd round pick from a desperate team in a month when Demko returns, either by trading Lankinen or Silovs.

Reactions: Vector

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Well, there goes the Canucks' $191,000 in cap space. I guess they'll have to operate off of LTIR again, once Poolman is placed on this list before the first game of the season.

Too bad in some ways. Even operating a couple of hundred grand below the cap threshold carries advantages in the regular season.....because the cap space builds up cumulatively. But realistically, the Canucks had little choice.

As good as he was in the playoffs, there's no way you want to go into the regular season with a rookie goaltender in Silovs, who's only played 20 games in the NHL. And if Demko were to end up on LTIR to start the season, then that creates a chunk of cap space.
Only until Demko is ready, at which point they send Silovs down, or am I missing something?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
DeSmith and Lankinen had pretty comparable statistical years, actually. I’d say they are similar in terms of being reliable backup types, but obviously Lankinen is materially younger.

Clearly prefer to have Lankinen on this contract versus DeSmith’s AAV and term.

I have been critical of DeSmith more than most here, but I think DeSmith's stats were worse than Lankinen's last year.

I've said this before. The ideal backup goalie can come in cold after sitting out a while and give the team a good start and be able to handle somewhere between 8-15 consecutive start / games as the #1 should the #1 goalie be injured. This is separate from a 1A/1B type who you can rely upon to split starts.

I feel that DeSmith had a good start here (as did the rest of the team) and he fulfilled the duty of playing well and giving Demko a scheduled rest. He played poorly when he was tasked with filling in as the #1 until Demko returned. This also isn't a fluke. DeSmith had similar failings in Pittsburgh. He's not a 1A/1B guy and can't be relied upon to fill in as a starter for a significant period of time.

I actually think DeSmith is a bit better in coming in cold and giving the #1 a scheduled rest but Lankinen is better if you need a goalie to carry the load for a bit.

I suppose that we have liked Kevin for a while. We wanted Kevin when we signed Collin two years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad