Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Linus Karlsson, D Cole McWard, to 1-Year, Two-Way Deals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
As for Karlsson, I figured that unless he got a one-way contact he was headed back for Sweden. But even though he did get a one-way contract, he'll be an RFA in a year. So again, it's a 'show-me' deal.
It's a two-way contract, not one-way. And if Karlsson plays fewer than 74 games next season (playoffs included) he will become a Group 6 UFA.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
In his post Hronek-signing interview, Alvin named dropped McWard as a guy he’d like to see have a great summer and compete for a spot on the roster. Also said he had a great second half this year in the AHL. If we sign Guenztel and Zadorov (and Blueger and Myers) Juulsen is probably our #6 and I could see McWard pushing for #7

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

And again, I don't see it.

Plays in all situations

No, he didn't. He was the 3 RD. He generally played the softest minutes behind Wolanin/Cicek-Woo and Irwin-Johansson. He received some PP2 time but has no projection to that role in the NHL. He generally only played PK when Woo or Johansson was injured.

runs a responsible, no-nonsense brand of hockey.

He's ... OK defensively. This quote sounds like it's describing Woo who is far superior defensively.

McWard is generally positionally sound although prone to the occasional poor turnover. But he's just butter-soft. No physical game at all, probably would be <5th percentile in hits if he was in the NHL and it was getting tracked. 'No-nonsense brand of hockey' is a very weird way to describe him. 'Cerebral defender', maybe. His play-style is 'stereotypically European' if I was going to classify it.

He's got size

No he doesn't. He's 6'1 192. The average-sized NHL defender is 6'2 210. He isn't tiny but he's undersized, and his size plays down when you combine it with his timid physical game (unlike Woo who is similar sized but hits like a truck and plays up).

skates well

No argument here. Smooth skater.

is a perfectly serviceable 6-7 guy

And again, confusion. This was basically a 5D in the AHL last year. He isn't a 6D in the NHL, or anywhere close.

There is a genre of defenders in the AHL who are like 6'1 190 and 'good all-around guys' at that level who are simply below-average at everything relative to the NHL. Guys we've seen like Filip Johansson, Wyatt Kalynuk, and McWard all fall into this same group. Not big enough or good enough defensively to project up (like a Juulsen or even a Brisebois), not good enough offensively to project to help a team's transition game (like a Wolanin). These just aren't NHL players.

Reactions: Dana Murzyn

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
They gave him a bafflingly huge look in the preseason, a callup when he was the 3rd best RHD in Abbotsford, and management and coaches have repeatedly talked glowingly about him, including Allvin again just recently.

I feel like I watched a completely different player in Abbotsford last year. This was generally the 3rd pairing RD down there playing 16-17 minutes/game with a bit of 2nd unit PP time and other than some nice mobility at times there really isn't anything about him that projects.

recall last offseason when allvin was telling the media he was pretty much pencilling johansson into the lineup? i fell for that.

now i think when this kind of stuff happens with guys we signed to elc deals as free agents it is related back to the things allvin said to get them to sign. he's going to follow through as much as he can on that even if it means pretending. if that means mcward gets a cup of coffee or his name in the gm's mouth, that's an investment for future mcwards hearing that the canucks give free agents a fair shake.

it's a lot cheaper than burning off an elc year

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm actually somewhat surprised Karlsson signed a two-way given all the late-season buzz about him bolting to Sweden, but he's probably the closest we have to a solid NHL 13th forward you can plug in and he won't look totally out of place if you need him. If we need to go lean in the bottom six to accommodate Guentzel and some of the signings I don't really hate him as a cheap fourth-liner.

McWard, yeah I haven't seen anything to get excited about there ... from when for some odd reason they were pushing him as a potential Hughes partner in the pre-season. He seems extremely "meh" in all aspects and isn't even a great AHL player. If you're touting this player at all your right-side depth sucks, which it does.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm actually somewhat surprised Karlsson signed a two-way given all the late-season buzz about him bolting to Sweden, but he's probably the closest we have to a solid NHL 13th forward you can plug in and he won't look totally out of place if you need him. If we need to go lean in the bottom six to accommodate Guentzel and some of the signings I don't really hate him as a cheap fourth-liner.

McWard, yeah I haven't seen anything to get excited about there ... from when for some odd reason they were pushing him as a potential Hughes partner in the pre-season. He seems extremely "meh" in all aspects and isn't even a great AHL player. If you're touting this player at all your right-side depth sucks, which it does.
According to Cap Friendly (for a few more days at least), Karlsson's one year contract is a 'one way'. He makes $775,000 whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL.

Same deal as McWard. Which tells me they're going to give both guys a long look at training camp. You don't want to have too many players in the AHL on a one-way contracts even if they're earning the NHL league minimum.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
According to Cap Friendly (for a few more days at least), Karlsson's one year contract is a 'one way'. He makes $775,000 whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL.

Same deal as McWard. Which tells me they're going to give both guys a long look at training camp. You don't want to have too many players in the AHL on a one-way contracts even if they're earning the NHL league minimum.

According to The Vancouver Canucks, they’re both two-way deals.

Reactions: Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They gave him a bafflingly huge look in the preseason, a callup when he was the 3rd best RHD in Abbotsford, and management and coaches have repeatedly talked glowingly about him, including Allvin again just recently.

I feel like I watched a completely different player in Abbotsford last year. This was generally the 3rd pairing RD down there playing 16-17 minutes/game with a bit of 2nd unit PP time and other than some nice mobility at times there really isn't anything about him that projects.
I don’t think management would force Tocchet to overplay any players even in preseason, Tocchet musr see something in him in practice..

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Warched a lot of Abby last year and would say this about these players.

Karlssen - Main talents are stickhandling and scoring from in tight on the goal tender. Down side is that he can disappear and be a non factor in the mid ice and defensive zone much of the time. He is not a play driver and needs good service. Was more physical in his second season but this will never be a strong point. (but he was at least trying to fight back) At this point, I would say his lack of wheels makes him, at best, a player that might provide some depth in case of injury.

McWard - His skating looks NHL level. Has good range and at times showed a good ability to join the rush. Also showed an ability to move the puck up from the back well and and to hit stretch passes. There does appear to be some offensive upside with this player. Main problems were keeping inside position in his end and inability to extend his zone of coverage in his end. Needs to get stronger and use his stick better down low in his end.

Thing to remember here is that Abbotsford was not a good team last year. They did not have a good set of vets to give players like McWard a solid basis to work off of or provide them any protection. In some ways the younger players were simply thrown to the wolves. (this was important but virtually went undiscussed - almost every member of the team was injured and some severely). In many games, Mc Ward was repeatly run and that led to him breaking down. Like others, including Podkolzin, their development was hindered by the beating many of them took.

To me, the best prospects on the Abby team are Raty and McWard. They were not consistent but when on their game, they showed, factoring in age, a level of hockey were you could imagine them in the NHL. Becomes a question of can they do this more of the time.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Surprised to see Karlsson sign a two way good for Abby and our depth. We need some players to insulate the kids and be able to clear waivers up and down if needed in depth roles. Has really improved over the last 2 yrs also so maybe he can still carve a NHL career. Skating is limiting but his size smarts and hands are good enough to produce in the NHL if he can keep up and be responsible defensively.

McWard i'm still high on. Has NHL wheels and bomb of a shot and a excellent stretch pass. There is a huge difference between a rookie AHLer learning gaps timing in the 2nd best pro league vs Woo/Johansson who have had oodles of time to progress in the pro's and don't have nearly the same physical package NHL traits and upside.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Its going to be interesting to see what the Canucks look like next year. I think we are going to lose a number of forwards, and I suspect Lekkerimaki, Raty, Bains and Podkolzin all to get looks, along with Karlsson.

II think one of Boeser and Mikheyev will be gone early. bowser because he is an UFA, and Mikheyev because he has not lived up to his contract (though injury had a bunch t do with that).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ok. If he does make it what then?

I'll be absolutely f***ing delighted to be wrong.

Btw Chris Tanev 6'2" 193 lbs. NHL size but 6'1" 190 lbs is undersized. Remember the discussion about 1" from yesterday.

Chris Tanev is a fairly average-sized NHL defender. Maybe very slightly below average.

In a sport where 98% of the players are with 9 inches of each other, being an inch below the league average is significant.

And again, McWard's size plays down because he's a softish, non-physical player.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Gretchen, stop trying to make Karlsson happen. He’s not going to happen.

I don't know about that - he rounded out his game pretty nicely last year and earned Tocchet's trust and respect. I don't think it's entirely out of the question that he shows he might have what it takes to stick in the NHL at some capacity. Either that, or he'll be arguably Abbotsford's top offensive threat.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'll be absolutely f***ing delighted to be wrong.

Chris Tanev is a fairly average-sized NHL defender. Maybe very slightly below average.

In a sport where 98% of the players are with 9 inches of each other, being an inch below the league average is significant.

And again, McWard's size plays down because he's a softish, non-physical player.

Also, Tanev is like an absurdly, incredibly smart player. Dude took one minor penalty his first two partial NHL seasons - 64 GP across regular season and playoffs - playing probably like 15min per game as a rookie defensive defenseman. That's absolutely mind-blowing. Weird player to compare to, as well, given Tanev's backstory growing up and learning to play D while ultra super tiny.

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I think some if these young depth guys will be given the opportunity to win spots, but management will quickly look for trades if they don't see enough improvement. Like what we saw with Studnicka and then the Laffety trade last year

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Also, Tanev is like an absurdly, incredibly smart player. Dude took one minor penalty his first two partial NHL seasons - 64 GP across regular season and playoffs - playing probably like 15min per game as a rookie defensive defenseman. That's absolutely mind-blowing.

Yeah, there’s this thing where people love to compare any average-sized, average-skilled defensive defender to Chris Tanev and just don’t grasp that Tanev is a) in the 99th percentile for IQ, and b) is in the 99th percentile for grit and taking hits to make plays. The guy is a unicorn. And, oh, he’s probably in about the 95th percentile for backward skating and footwork, too.

He’s a hilarious combination of all the skills fans under-value with none of the skills fans overrate and people (starting with our moron ex-GM) have never been able to figure out why he was so good, or even how good he was/is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad