Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Linus Karlsson, D Cole McWard, to 1-Year, Two-Way Deals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Guessing each of these is going to be $775,000 at the NHL level. Nice work - I definitely thought Karlsson had an inside track on a one-way deal, and I do see him as a leading candidate to crack the fourth line in training camp. Tocchet seemed to like and trust him.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Guessing each of these is going to be $775,000 at the NHL level. Nice work - I definitely thought Karlsson had an inside track on a one-way deal, and I do see him as a leading candidate to crack the fourth line in training camp. Tocchet seemed to like and trust him.
Allvin during negotiations to Karlsson. "We won't have much cap space, if you want to play you will have to take less" ;)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Karlsson looked to be heading back to Sweden and then really found something in the 2nd half.

I don't know if he's a regular NHLer but he's at least a quality callup option that was good to retain.

This was my mindset, too - also why I thought he might get a one-way deal given I'm sure he had options back in Sweden. Heartened that he accepted a two-way, and intrigued to see how he does this fall.

McWard is probably what passes for our best defensive prospect in Abbotsford at the moment...I hope he has a big summer.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This was my mindset, too - also why I thought he might get a one-way deal given I'm sure he had options back in Sweden. Heartened that he accepted a two-way, and intrigued to see how he does this fall.

McWard is probably what passes for our best defensive prospect in Abbotsford at the moment...I hope he has a big summer.

I like Cicek more than McWard but he's already 24 years old and left-handed.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'll keep saying that I don't understand any of the organizational hype around McWard.

If he was a CHL player he would be off his ELC and waiver-eligible now, and he's basically an undersized 4-5 AHL defender who doesn't produce much offensively. I thought Filip Johansson was better for Abbotsford last year, isn't really much different in age, and literally nobody cared when they let him walk back to Sweden.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I'll keep saying that I don't understand any of the organizational hype around McWard.

If he was a CHL player he would be off his ELC and waiver-eligible now, and he's basically an undersized 4-5 AHL defender who doesn't produce much offensively. I thought Filip Johansson was better for Abbotsford last year, isn't really much different in age, and literally nobody cared when they let him walk back to Sweden.

it looks they are locking up rhd depth as a priority for some reason. the mcward contract was probably on allvin's desk when he took that press conference and so front of mind. it does not necessarily mean they have super high hopes for the guy.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Karlsson looked to be heading back to Sweden and then really found something in the 2nd half.

I don't know if he's a regular NHLer but he's at least a quality callup option that was good to retain.
Tocchet seemed to trust him more than most farm call-ups.

It will be interesting to see if he was given specific off-season instructions to improve.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I'm only laughing at this post because the last sentence made me guffaw in surprise. :laugh: I don't disagree at all, per se.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I'm only laughing at this post because the last sentence made me guffaw in surprise. :laugh: I don't disagree at all, per se.

No one even noticed for 5 days!

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
it looks they are locking up rhd depth as a priority for some reason. the mcward contract was probably on allvin's desk when he took that press conference and so front of mind. it does not necessarily mean they have super high hopes for the guy.

They gave him a bafflingly huge look in the preseason, a callup when he was the 3rd best RHD in Abbotsford, and management and coaches have repeatedly talked glowingly about him, including Allvin again just recently.

I feel like I watched a completely different player in Abbotsford last year. This was generally the 3rd pairing RD down there playing 16-17 minutes/game with a bit of 2nd unit PP time and other than some nice mobility at times there really isn't anything about him that projects.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kinda' surprised on both deals.....the Canucks brass has been singing the praises of McWard since they signed him as a college UFA. but he gets only a one year deal at which point's he's an RFA again. He may need real breakthrough year to get qualified at the end of next season.

As for Karlsson, I figured that unless he got a one-way contact he was headed back for Sweden. But even though he did get a one-way contract, he'll be an RFA in a year. So again, it's a 'show-me' deal.

But I suppose the 'positive' is that if both guys were to actually make the parent Canucks next season, they're both signed for basically the league minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad