Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jake DeBrusk to 7-Year, $5.5M AAV Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
He will be the same age as Marssasault is now when his deals done. The later just signed for the same amount and 5 years. Way better contract here.

Marchy had 40 goals, Debrusk had 40 points

just saying

We should have just kept Mikayhev at 4.75. more or less he and Debrusk bring the same

• Haha
Reactions: calnuck

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I like DeBrusk and like the deal other than the term being a couple years too long, but he’s more of a finisher/puck retriever which makes me wonder if both he and Hoglander would work next to Petey.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Like the player, hate the term, and worry about how this affects our ability to add an actual elite talent. We may end up having to let Boeser go next off-season if, for some reason, Rantanen/Draisaitl head to market, and there's also lots of other attractive options like Verhaeghe and Konecny. But surely this contract will age better than Guentzel, right...?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
If he can forcheck and get to the net he will be solid there are enough playmakers team needs some greasy finishers

He can do that but it's totally going to depend on his line mates. Personally I think we'll have a unstoppable 3rd line with Joshua on his wing & Suter or Blueger as the C

Tocchet is going to love that and so will the fans :thumbu:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Why not? Speedy, two way players that can PK. Debrusk’s 3 year average is 49pts. Mikheyev’s average the two years before his knee injury, 50pts.

Fine, Mikheyev’s speed might never be the same, and Debrusk seems to be a good playoff performer, but they are more similar than people here want to admit. And Debrusk has also had some dud playoff years as well.

He brings more physical play and willingness to go to the net than Mik, but yea, he probably won’t be a huge upgrade on what Mik brought in 22-23 before he went down. But Mik was so bad last year that I don’t think you could take the chance on him bouncing back

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Like the player, hate the term, and worry about how this affects our ability to add an actual elite talent. We may end up having to let Boeser go next off-season if, for some reason, Rantanen/Draisaitl head to market, and there's also lots of other attractive options like Verhaeghe and Konecny. But surely this contract will age better than Guentzel, right...?

Doubt it. Guentzel’s smart enough to be a contributor for a long time. DeBrusk’s lack of creativity suggests he might decline hard if his tools go. I always trust high end players having better longevity

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Don't like it, or dislike it...That is a whopping term..Having said that, Allvin must have really liked the player, so I'll defer to his good judgement here.

Obviously, for the GM to commit to that term, he must see that the player brings something to the table where they are deficient at.

Pretty sure they got burnt on Zadorov & Lindholm as their AAV came in exactly where it should have. Probably originally offered Debrusk 5 years, got burnt and quickly raised that to 7 to secure his services.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Massive overpayment. I have a bad feeling about this.
Piss poor post.

Pretty sure they got burnt on Zadorov & Lindholm as their AAV came in exactly where it should have. Probably originally offered Debrusk 5 years, got burnt and quickly raised that to 7 to secure his services.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened.

Jesus H

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He’s the kind of player that is useful, coaches will love him, and his cap hit will be fine going forward. The term doesn’t bother me as he’ll be 34 when it’s over. There’s a good chance he actually provides full value. He also seems to be a good locker room guy and wants to be in Western Canada.

My main complaint is I’d rather use that cap space on an actual true goal scorer.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I think the likelihood of elite talent making it to market will be diminished over the next few years. A rising cap, parity and teams being flush with picks means VAN is in tough to get anything done there.

Boeser being the best winger on the team likely gets re-signed.

I think VAN is now set on the path of winning via depth, not top end talent, but we'll see.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
The question now becomes who we move out to acquire a top 6 winger mid season, and how we make room to bolster the D as well. The D looks weakish right now.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Doubt it. Guentzel’s smart enough to be a contributor for a long time. DeBrusk’s lack of creativity suggests he might decline hard if his tools go. I always trust high end players having better longevity

Doubt that will happen as he's still young and has the HAPPY feet and can forecheck like the devil.

It's guys like Boeser or Miller who really hit the wall around 32- 34 yrs old and it' mostly because of their foot speed (never really had it in the first place) & the league just passes them by.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
DeBrusk is one year removed from scoring at a 35 goal, 64 point pace. It all depends on the fit in our top 6, but it isn't out of the question he can be a consistent 30 goal, 60 point player under Tochett.
I see that as the outlier of his career, but who knows. I’m just going to look at this as objectively as possible, rather than reach and hope for something he hasn’t proven to do.

I would love to be proven wrong, he is a Canuck and he will be for a long time. We all want him to work out and overperform, breakout and whatnot.

It’s not doomer to say he’ll most likely produce at his career numbers at the age of 28.

He also might not be has good defensively as his player card suggests. You can tell that year he played with Bergeron. This past year should be the one you give more weight to.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I think a change of scenery from the toxic east coast Boston sports fans is exactly what Jake needs.

Like this right now and anticipate will love it in the future.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
i don't disagree that high end players have better longetivity, but i'm still probably not taking the bet that guentzel from ages 29-36 won't experience a decline more significant than debrusk from 27-34... and i don't entirely buy that guentzel losing his tools won't result in a massive downtick in production. we all saw what happened with pettersson and his knee injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad