Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jake DeBrusk to 7-Year, $5.5M AAV Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I … don’t love this.

I also don’t absolutely hate it.

Very streaky player. Can look like a first-line 30+ goal sniper at times but has ended up being basically a 40-45 point player for his career. Does add team speed.

Term is terrifying.

Could see a scenario where he breaks out with a top C and pops 30 goals next year. Could also see this being another of those $5 million winger deals that just get in the way.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
You know I'm starting to develop a theory that is totally and completely unfounded. There has been so so much talk this particular free agency period about longer length contracts to get the AAV down. Obviously we've been there done that and this the current rule of 8 or less, but this period seems to be a little more blatant and "in your face about it".

With the current CBA expiring in 2 years, and the cap going up, I wonder if GM's have some sort of inside knowledge about negotiations for the next CBA that haven't gone public?

7 years Debrusk is not great but ...
Tanev at 6 years is bad
Monahan at 5 years is bad bad
Zadorov got 6 years which seems crazy

Bob McKenzie specifically tweeted about teams potentially exploring "deferred payment" style contracts during the FA period, which is not something I think I even knew you could do in the NHL.

I think there's something come down from the league in the past month or so

And that's my deranged Ted Talk

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
7 years? gross

i don't think he's a bad player and he'll help but this contract is gonna be an anchor

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He's usually scoring 20 ESG and 35 ESP which is pretty solid for a 2nd line player.

Good speed, good defensive impacts and a solid PK option. I'm going to just squint my eyes until that term blurs out but if he clicks in our top 6 we've got ourselves a player.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I think we're going to be surprised with his play, its an over pay in both salary and term, but I think Tocchet will help this guy unlock the consistency he's been missing and I would not be shocked if he flirts with 55-60 pts once he and Petey (or Miller) get clicking.

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
This is a very interesting signing, dude is an analytics darling, but has inconsistency issues. The term is long, but 5.5 is not a huge cap hit and will look even smaller by the last few years of the contract even if he falls off a cliff. The structure is also quite good.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Like the player but the contract is definitely a bit scary.

He's essentially what we wanted Mik to be and is an upgrade in every way. Solid skater, great forechecker, plays a reliable two-way game. Seems to be very streaky and hasn't been able to put it all together consistently.

He is a Tocchet type player.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I … don’t love this.

I also don’t absolutely hate it.

Very streaky player. Can look like a first-line 30+ goal sniper at times but has ended up being basically a 40-45 point player for his career. Does add team speed.

Term is terrifying.

Could see a scenario where he breaks out with a top C and pops 30 goals next year. Could also see this being another of those $5 million winger deals that just get in the way.

exactly, there's going to be nights where he looks like a slightly bigger Beauvillier.

Thought the canucks needed a needle mover who can create. Debrusk is a 2nd line straight line goal scorer.

And then we added quantity.

Rule of thumb in FA, is always quality over quantity.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
The main determining factor of success for this particular contract is Petey.

I’m guessing mgt expects them to mesh well and be able to carry one another, at the very least we know this is a guy that can finish and plays a good 2way game.

I’m looking at this trade in a way that this is an upgrade from Cress Destroyer Mikeyev.

But the term is just… yikes.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Injury prone guy who has stone f***ing hands. This guy is a middle 6 forward who will squander a ton of opportunties.

You paid a lot to get rid of Mikheyev and basically signed a slightly better version at higher cap and term.

f***ing panic move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad