Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jake DeBrusk to 7-Year, $5.5M AAV Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
AFP had him estimated at 5.8. If Zucker got 5.0 this is way better. He's a fast skater that can forecheck. I think he's a great fit, plus he's one of the youngest Free Agents on the market. The term might be a bit on the higher side but people have been saying the team should be weaponizing term to get AAVs lower all off-season so far, now they did and people are still complaining.
I think it’s a fair contract and it fills a desperate need for this team of someone who plays Tocchet hockey and can actually score. People are just being pissy because we didn’t sign Guentzel. This has JT Miller trade and contract eating crow written all over it

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Don’t like it.

Term is ridiculous but they likely had no choice.

Not happy bout the AAV but price of having to bring him in with not much other options.

Could have had him for almost nothing two years ago.

Still only a middle 6 signing though.

No actual Top 6 but it is what it is.

Reactions: BimJenning

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
AFP had him estimated at 5.8. If Zucker got 5.0 this is way better. He's a fast skater that can forecheck. I think he's a great fit, plus he's one of the youngest Free Agents on the market. The term might be a bit on the higher side but people have been saying the team should be weaponizing term to get AAVs lower all off-season so far, now they did and people are still complaining.
Zucker is a declining player that only looks to get as much money as possible, anywhere he can. Zucker is also on a 1 year, whereas Debrusk is on a 7 year.

I don’t like it, but I can only hope it works out because there’s no use in wining about something that’s already done.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Don't mind the player or the AAV. But that term?! Yikes. I really don't like that term. I don't hate this signing, but that term makes me not like it either.

My thoughts too. He’s one of the younger guys on the market, but nonetheless, that’s a beefy term. Like the size, speed and two way ability - and clearly this is a fit with Tocchet’s identity. But the term is the shocker for me.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Don’t like it.

Term is ridiculous but they likely had no choice.

Not happy bout the AAV but price of having to bring him in with not much other options.

Could have had him for almost nothing two years ago.

Still only a middle 6 signing though.

No actual Top 6 but it is what it is.
This is it, Peteys winger, Jake Debrusk

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
not horrible, he's a decent finisher with speed on the wing.

Maybe its me, but I rather have Marchessault than Debrusk at the same cap hit

Feb 19, 2018
In a period where Tanev is getting 6 years this is a great deal. Debrusk over Zadorov might be a little questionable, but hopefully he meshes well with the top 6

Reactions: Indiana

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'm sure the extended term is just something you have to offer this time of year to get a deal done. At least he's a healthy player and this should not age too poorly.

I think he'll be good for 25+ goals and I like his north-south style and speed.

Likely the best out of what was left and handed out honestly.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Pleasantly surprised that we got one of the younger UFAs available, so the term doesn't faze me. He should be a welcome add for a Tocchet team, and we know what this coaching staff can do to improve a player's game. Playoff type of player, too. I'm good with this.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
really like the player, was hoping he'd be a target over blowing the full wad on guentzel/reinhart, and could offer a lot more versatility by being paired with other signings (ie. heinen and sherwood, who i am very happy with). so conceptually, this is a win.

don't love the term or hit though. this contract should be worth about half of the value that it is. i'm shocked jake debrusk is getting nearly $40m - i assumed he'd be a 4.5 x 5

Reactions: Indiana and Sonny A

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad