Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Akito Hirose to 1-Year ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
great signing, the depth of this team is slowly improving. make enough of these signings and hopefully one of them will contribute consistently on a bottom pair down the road.

Reactions: mossey3535

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm fully on board with ol' Lou.

- goalies may only wear 1, 30, 31, 35
- 2,3,4,5,6 are for defenders.
- forwards may wear numbers between 7 and 29.
- numbers in the 30s (excluding goalie numbers) are for callups.
- numbers should only be retired in extreme circumstances.

High numbers suck. And I'm sticking to this. *Shakes fist at cloud*

Old uniforms and old highlights looked so much cleaner and stylish compared to 74 passing to 86 passing to 40.
Jean Beliveau says hello. Or he would if he were still alive. (Or does he say "hold my beer"? This stuff confuses me.)

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Old uniforms and old highlights looked so much cleaner and stylish compared to 74 passing to 86 passing to 40.
I disagree entirely. To me, the high number euro players of my youth (Mogilny, Jagr, Fedorov, Bure for a bit, Palffy for a bit, etc) were super intriguing and fascinating.

I think that what you're speaking of is pointless rigidity which our history has a hell of a lot of (not turning this into a bigger issue than personal preference on numbers ftr).

One place I do agree is goalie numbers. Wasn't Koskinen number 17? I hated that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He looks dynamic in those Twitter-YouTube highlights......but his stats are pretty pedestrian....only two goals on the season.

As others have pointed out, Jack Rathbone had better stats as a younger player at Harvard. And I guess it's Hirose that Rathbone he'll be competing with for a job with the Canucks. Don't see how the Canucks could go with three relatively under-sized d-men on their back end though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I disagree entirely. To me, the high number euro players of my youth (Mogilny, Jagr, Fedorov, Bure for a bit, Palffy for a bit, etc) were super intriguing and fascinating.

I think that what you're speaking of is pointless rigidity which our history has a hell of a lot of (not turning this into a bigger issue than personal preference on numbers ftr).

One place I do agree is goalie numbers. Wasn't Koskinen number 17? I hated that.

I'm sort of half joking which I hope my tone conveyed.

But old highlights and photos of Rocket Richard in #9 or Bobby Orr in #4 is so much cleaner and crisper and cooler and more classic than guys wearing 43 and 74.

I actually don't mind the double-barreled numbers like 44 and 55 and the backstory behind why guys like Mogilny and Jagr wore their numbers was at least kind of interesting and cool.

But Bure in 10 was great and looked great and Bure in 96 was dumb and crap. Jeremy Roenick going from 27 to 97 was dumb. Guys wearing weird numbers like 73 that look like someone barfed across the back of their jersey look dumb. And thank god Joe Sakic didn't stick with 88.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Andy Carroll, but only on an AHL ATO.
800px-AndyCarrollSeptember2015.JPG

Reactions: Peen

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
His name reminds me of Tenkawa Akito.

A gimpy little shit from the anime Martian Successor Nadesico, turned into a vengeful badass motherf***er when his wife got kidnapped in the OVA Prince of Darkness.

Also, in the OVA, he piloted this:
10527434a3_m.jpg

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He looks dynamic in those Twitter-YouTube highlights......but his stats are pretty pedestrian....only two goals on the season.

As others have pointed out, Jack Rathbone had better stats as a younger player at Harvard. And I guess it's Hirose that Rathbone he'll be competing with for a job with the Canucks. Don't see how the Canucks could go with three relatively under-sized d-men on their back end though.
Just depends how good he is...I'm sure everyone would be pretty happy if we had 3x Quinn Hughes on the left side.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'm sort of half joking which I hope my tone conveyed.

But old highlights and photos of Rocket Richard in #9 or Bobby Orr in #4 is so much cleaner and crisper and cooler and more classic than guys wearing 43 and 74.

I actually don't mind the double-barreled numbers like 44 and 55 and the backstory behind why guys like Mogilny and Jagr wore their numbers was at least kind of interesting and cool.

But Bure in 10 was great and looked great and Bure in 96 was dumb and crap. Jeremy Roenick going from 27 to 97 was dumb. Guys wearing weird numbers like 73 that look like someone barfed across the back of their jersey look dumb. And thank god Joe Sakic didn't stick with 88.

I don't really care about numbers, but I do kind of miss the rite of passage where players would have like 63 as a callup or fringe player, and then would get to choose a "real" number when they made the team.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
No one cares if some hockey player in Canada has Japanese ancestry. The league tried that with Paul Kariya and it went absolutely nowhere.

not exactly

in the fall of 1997, the ducks and canucks were starting the season with two games in tokyo. we brought our doomed first year of messier team, with bure, linden, young naslund, rookie ohlund in his first two NHL games, and holdovers like lumme, gelinas, and mclean in net. mogilny was holding out, so he didn't make the trip.

for the ducks, kariya was holding out.

that was the great missed opportunity. when kariya did eventually sign, he was taken out for the year by a gary suter cheapshot and missed the nagano olympics.

i'm willing to bet that if kariya had played those two games in tokyo, that could have generated some real excitement about the olympic hockey tournament. exciting japanese-canadian superstar, disney tie in, it should have worked. and then if he was on that olympic team, and they don't lose in the shootout to the czech republic, and assuming they beat russia in the gold medal game, i think that could have really been something for the sport in japan and, i'm guessing, east asia more broadly.

and if i was gary bettman staring down a potential yao before yao situation, i would have locked don baizley and the ducks GM in a room together and not let them out until they got a contract signed. but of course, bettman was more interested in season two of the phoenix coyotes.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
i'm willing to bet that if kariya had played those two games in tokyo, that could have generated some real excitement about the olympic hockey tournament. exciting japanese-canadian superstar, disney tie in, it should have worked. and then if he was on that olympic team, and they don't lose in the shootout to the czech republic, and assuming they beat russia in the gold medal game, i think that could have really been something for the sport in japan and, i'm guessing, east asia more broadly.

The Japanese don't care about half-Japanese guys that were born and raised in Canada. They pay a lot of attention to homegrown stars that make it big outside Japan (Ohtani, Hachimura, Osaka)

Just because a star and some teams show up for a few games, doesn't make sport any more popular.

It took 20 years or so, but Gretzky's journey into California has shown some results in hockey players coming from California. But that involved a lot of local kids adopting the sport, rinks being built and coaches popping up all over the place.

Baseball and soccer are so dominant in Japan that hockey will always be a regional sport.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver

I agree with the “numbers should only be retired in extreme circumstances “ part. For a franchise that’s never won it all, the Canucks have a lot of sweaters in the rafters. At what point does an unretiring ceremony happen??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad