Prospect Info: Canucks select D Elias Pettersson , 3rd Round, 80th Overall, 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hmm, interesting. Hockey cards for the length of his Canucks career seem to have him at 6'3 220 but online rosters I can find from 2008 or so seem to have him mostly at 6'2 220.

I can't find a single 6'4 listing from his time as a Canuck and he left here at age 34, so presumably had stopped growing.

I always perceived him more as wide and powerful than overly tall. A big human, but not really taller than Jovanovski.

Same. I always thought Ohlund was between 6'2" and 6'3" but closer to 6'3". Maybe Ohlund is actually 6'3"+ as whenever he's together with Edler Ohlund doesn't appear to be much shorter.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The only way you get massive ELC value on a team is to have lots of recent top-5 picks and those teams still usually suck because of where they are in their cycle.

The notion that you need multiple players on ELCs playing major roles to be successful is a total myth that fans latched onto because Chicago did it once upon a moonbeam.

It's also just like, kind of a clearly ridiculous notion: I'd put forward that probably the overwhelming majority of defensemen who are able to establish themselves as strong, everyday players to the degree that they're the providing significant excess value on their ELCs (ie. they're replacing Soucy in the lineup rather than Juulsen) required to make OP's claim make sense will go on to have legitimate NHL careers, but how would that even be possible if almost every team supposedly has to have 1/3 of its defensive roster spots held by players on ELCs at any given time? Where are all these players going? Are they just supposedly falling out of the league after their ELC runs out? Is this why they added Vegas and Seattle? Did they all go home to get their stuff?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks keep going out in the off-season and inking UFA d-men, but it isn't sustainable over the longer term.

Sooner rather than later, they need kids like Wilander, D-Petey, McWard or even Kudryavtsov to work out. The only way to build a blueline in this salary cap era, is to have a couple of drafted d-men playing everyday on ELC's.

Without top picks it really isn't a viable way.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Also, unless I'm mangling the Puckpedia search function, there were 35 Defensemen on ELCs who played a game last season. 17 who played more than 20. 13 who played more than 40. 8 who played more than 60.

Not sure where one begins to become an "everyday" player, but has anyone bothered to tell the GMs about "the only way to build a blueline?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This could be a future Vancouver Canuck trivia question. Who was the last drafted d-man, other than Quinn Hughes, to play a single league game for the Canucks.? You'd probably have to go back to Oli Juolevi, who played a few games three or four seasons ago, before he totally bombed.

So it bears repeating. If you can't draft d-men who can play in the NHL, you're probably never going to be able to build a solid blueline.

• Wow
Reactions: Coffees

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
This could be a future Vancouver Canuck trivia question. Who was the last drafted d-man, other than Quinn Hughes, to play a single league game for the Canucks.? You'd probably have to go back to Oli Juolevi, who played a few games three or four seasons ago, before he totally bombed.

So it bears repeating. If you can't draft d-men who can play in the NHL, you're probably never going to be able to build a solid blueline.
But now we got a couple of promising prospects in the back end so let’s try again

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Sequentially in draft order or in the line-up? Because Brisebois has played games more recently than Juolevi.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
and before that probably only Tryamkin and Corrado lol

I forgot about Jack Rathbone and he was drafted after Juolevi. So the actual answer is Rathbone.

2018 - Quinn Hughes
2017 - Jack Rathbone
2016 - Olli Juolevi
2015 - Guillaume Brisebois
2014 - Nikita Tryamkin
2013 - Gustav Forsling
2012 - Ben Hutton
2011 - Frankie Corrado
2009 - Kevin Connauton
2008 - Yann Sauve
2005 - Luc Bourdon, Kris Fredheim
2004 - Alex Edler
2003 - Nathan McIver
2002 - Brett Skinner
2001 - Kevin Bieksa

Reactions: supercanuck

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Ignoring that nothing in this post shows how your first paragraph and your second paragraph are supposed to be related to each other, the only Panthers defenseman this past season who arrived on their team via the draft was picked in 2014.

Reactions: rypper

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I forgot about Jack Rathbone and he was drafted after Juolevi. So the actual answer is Rathbone.

2018 - Quinn Hughes
2017 - Jack Rathbone
2016 - Olli Juolevi
2015 - Guillaume Brisebois
2014 - Nikita Tryamkin
2013 - Gustav Forsling
2012 - Ben Hutton
2011 - Frankie Corrado
2009 - Kevin Connauton
2008 - Yann Sauve
2005 - Luc Bourdon, Kris Fredheim
2004 - Alex Edler
2003 - Nathan McIver
2002 - Brett Skinner
2001 - Kevin Bieksa

That's a sad list. I don't even recall a guy called Kris Fredheim. LOL

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That's a sad list. I don't even recall a guy called Kris Fredheim. LOL

I once did an analysis on every team's ability to draft and develop defencemen since 1970. The Canucks were very very very bad. The weird thing was some times are extremely good at it. Through regime changes and the game changing, they've always been able to draft and develop defencemen. Canucks, though, the number is so thin.

Reactions: supercanuck

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He was a 6th round NCAA pick that we didn't sign out of college so he never really played in the organization. Got signed by Minnesota and got a 3-game NHL cup of coffee.

FWIW, I think he got an end-of-season ATO with the ECHL affiliate so technically he was kind of in the org, but I could be mixing things up. I also think he only got the NHL deal out of the Wild so they could dress him immediately once they learned about the only way to build a blueline.

• Haha
Reactions: rypper and Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
FWIW, I think he got an end-of-season ATO with the ECHL affiliate so technically he was kind of in the org, but I could be mixing things up. I also think he only got the NHL deal out of the Wild so they could dress him immediately once they learned about the only way to build a blueline.

Yeah, played a couple games for the Salmon Kings.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
The only way you get massive ELC value on a team is to have lots of recent top-5 picks and those teams still usually suck because of where they are in their cycle.

The notion that you need multiple players on ELCs playing major roles to be successful is a total myth that fans latched onto because Chicago did it once upon a moonbeam.
The closest we see normally is luck* gifting a team one or two players (Wyatt Johnston, Robertson, Aho, Point, Kucherov, Gadreau, Faber, Andersson, Parayko, Slavin).

Luck isn't a plan.

*I'm not convinced Dallas, Carolina or Calgary are scouting on a different level despite the players I just listed. Tampa was, but NHL teams have course-corrected on undersized forwards since then.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The closest we see normally is luck* gifting a team one or two players (Wyatt Johnston, Robertson, Aho, Point, Kucherov, Gadreau, Faber, Andersson, Parayko, Slavin).

Luck isn't a plan.

*I'm not convinced Dallas, Carolina or Calgary are scouting on a different level despite the players I just listed. Tampa was, but NHL teams have course-corrected on undersized forwards since then.

Dallas was really the only contending team in the NHL last year that was getting substantial ELC premiums with Johnston/Harley/Stankoven.

Reactions: RobsonStreet

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I once did an analysis on every team's ability to draft and develop defencemen since 1970. The Canucks were very very very bad. The weird thing was some times are extremely good at it. Through regime changes and the game changing, they've always been able to draft and develop defencemen. Canucks, though, the number is so thin.

I don't think we are that bad. But I think that partly has to do with the fact that the Canucks haven't really used a high pick on a Dman and bombed aside from Juolevi. Before the Juolevi pick, the last defenseman the Canucks drafted in the first round was Bourdon, who had he lived, would have enjoyed a long NHL career. Allen was a good pick. Ference was kind of out of sight out of mind. He wasn't a good pick but in the grand scheme of things there was a high number of busts after. Before Ference it was Ohlund. Before Ohlund it was Wilson (who like Ference was also out of sight out of mind). You have to go back to Jason Herter for another high pick Dman bust.

Of course there are disappointments along the way but we also drafted Bieksa, Sopel, and Edler along the way. Burke in general is pretty good at acquiring defenseman.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad