Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers to 3y/3m Contract

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The problem with Myers in the past (besides being overpaid) is that prior to last season, he's been utilized as the RHD of task to handle the toughest defensive minutes or 3rd pairing RHD +PKer. He's actually looked his best here alongside Edler and along side OEL (his first year), but in both instances his pairing handled the toughest defensive minutes. Last season he was utilized more in a 2nd pairing role who wasn't tasked with shutting down the other team's top pairing on a nightly basis. That and playing with better players and with better coaching has allowed him to quiet down this game and excel.

I've said this before, people underestimate the impact the Norris-winning version of Hughes has. The ability to throw Hughes' pairing out there against any line and have him dominate on a nightly basis is huge compared to keeping him away from the other team's top line.

Reactions: Indiana and calnuck

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
With the Desharnais signing, re signing a 34 year old Myers to 3 years just doesn’t make sense to me.

I get it if it was a 1 year contract. Maybe 2. But then they sign a younger 6th defenseman. Desharnais is a solid depth piece but Myers at $3M for 3 years is just unnecessary and it pushes him higher up in the line up which is not ideal at all. Myers was great for us in the playoffs and was deserving of at least a 1 year deal but I just don’t understand giving him another 3 years and further handcuffing the right side with bottom pairing defenseman. If the idea was to push Juulsen/Freidman further down and run Desharnais as the 7D, I would be fine with that but youd still need to fine a top 4 defenseman. But with his contract, it’s quite clear to me they plan on having him be a full time 6RD and that leaves Myers on the 2nd pair.

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
With the Desharnais signing, re signing a 34 year old Myers to 3 years just doesn’t make sense to me.

I get it if it was a 1 year contract. Maybe 2. But then they sign a younger 6th defenseman. Desharnais is a solid depth piece but Myers at $3M for 3 years is just unnecessary and it pushes him higher up in the line up which is not ideal at all. Myers was great for us in the playoffs and was deserving of at least a 1 year deal but I just don’t understand giving him another 3 years and further handcuffing the right side with bottom pairing defenseman. If the idea was to push Juulsen/Freidman further down and run Desharnais as the 7D, I would be fine with that but youd still need to fine a top 4 defenseman. But with his contract, it’s quite clear to me they plan on having him be a full time 6RD and that leaves Myers on the 2nd pair.
I understand your point, but a 3x3 I don't think matters a whole bunch... I don't see it limiting trade value if they need to make changes down the road. hopefully he plays the way he did this year for all 3 years..

Reactions: Indiana

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I understand your point, but a 3x3 I don't think matters a whole bunch... I don't see it limiting trade value if they need to make changes down the road. hopefully he plays the way he did this year for all 3 years..
Yea why should he regress from the 60ish games this year to the previous 300

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Said this before. For reference, Edler was 34 (April birthday) when he started his last season here. He was good at 35 in his first year in LA. His play dropped off significantly at age 36 in his last NHL season. Bieksa was 36 in his last NHL season and he was a frequent healthy scratch that season. Hamhuis is the better case scenario as he was was 34 and 35 when he was in Dallas and defensively he was a good bottom pairing defenseman in his last two NHL seasons (his offensive production cratered).

I'm not so much worried about regression but age-related decline. If we're lucky, Myers is good the next two season and still usable as a bottom pairing defenseman in the last year of his deal.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Yea why should he regress from the 60ish games this year to the previous 300
It takes defensemen longer to develop. He was still developing for the first 15 seasons and 900 games of his career

Said this before. For reference, Edler was 34 (April birthday) when he started his last season here. He was good at 35 in his first year in LA. His play dropped off significantly at age 36 in his last NHL season. Bieksa was 36 in his last NHL season and he was a frequent healthy scratch that season. Hamhuis is the better case scenario as he was was 34 and 35 when he was in Dallas and defensively he was a good bottom pairing defenseman in his last two NHL seasons (his offensive production cratered).

I'm not so much worried about regression but age-related decline. If we're lucky, Myers is good the next two season and still usable as a bottom pairing defenseman in the last year of his deal.
We also just saw 34-35 year old Ian Cole alternate between looking great when rested and awful when run down, which is 100% age related decline. He still had the mind and the skills when sufficiently rested but it all slipped with fatigue and he didn't have the ability to physically endure and recover from the pace of the grind anymore.

Reactions: Indiana and Kryten

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Someone did a breakdown of 6’4”/6’5”+ sized d-men over the last few seasons and how their games have tended to age better than most for some reason.

Yes, it was a smaller sample size but it was still interesting to learn.

I believe it was Drance on his podcast 2-3 months ago and it was regarding possibly re-signing Zadorov if I’m not mistaken (when he wasn’t going to cost anywhere near 5 mill/per)

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Someone did a breakdown of 6’4”/6’5”+ sized d-men over the last few seasons and how their games have tended to age better than most for some reason.

I believe it was Drance on his podcast 2-3 months ago and it was regarding possibly re-signing Zadorov if I’m not mistaken (when he wasn’t going to cost anywhere near 5 mill/per)

Benefits of sustained altitude training

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010

The Foote/Tocchet defensive system really relies on size, strength, and range for execution. Keep everything to the outside (size, strength, and rangey defensemen), have fast forwards chase on the boards and work the puck to low danger areas (speed and fitness forwards), and then collapse and smother the puck carriers in the corners and behind the net for turnovers (size, strength, board battles). I think people will be surprised with how solid our defense looks out of the gate with the four big guys on the back end eating up the hard defensive minutes, and its the bigger guys that don't wear out playing that style over the course of the season. (If Ian Cole had a greater size and strength advantage, I doubt he looks so worn out by the end of the year) Mobility, although always a bonus, isn't as crucial, so if we keep that coaching style, I think Myers' contract will age well.

We just really have to work on our breakouts and zone clears from a system perspective, getting our forwards to pick up the slack for the more cumbersome of our defensemen, as that is what destroyed us in the post season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Myers will be celebrating his 37th birthday in February of the last year of his contract. That's a sobering thought.

More likely he plays two seasons; and then it's a buyout for the third.

Promethean

Jun 29, 2024
6'7 Hal Gill was one of the most effective defensive defencemen of all time and he could barely skate compared to Tyler Myers.

Tyler Myers had the expectations of a #1D man who won a Calder in his rookie season. He was expected to produce 40-50 points while logging 25 minutes a night. Now he's expected to produce 15 points logging 14-18 minutes a night. I think he's in the best position he's ever been in his career.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
6'7 Hal Gill was one of the most effective defensive defencemen of all time and he could barely skate compared to Tyler Myers.

Tyler Myers had the expectations of a #1D man who won a Calder in his rookie season. He was expected to produce 40-50 points while logging 25 minutes a night. Now he's expected to produce 15 points logging 14-18 minutes a night. I think he's in the best position he's ever been in his career.

Gill was a unicorn. He shouldn't have survived the changes that came after the lockout but he did. He was excellent positionally and had a long stick. One of the better shot blockers in the league. More importantly, the guy was huge. When Myers fumbles he can be like Bambi and falls down. When Gill fumbles guys bump into him and gets knocked down so Gill ends up recovering the puck.

Reactions: Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess it's a moot point now.....but would you rather have Myers at $3m for three seasons; or Zadorov at $5m for six seasons?

Myers is 34, and his three year deal carries him through to age 37 if it goes full term. Zadorov is 29, so his six year deal carries him through to age 35. I suppose the extra $2m and three years was too tough for the Canucks to swallow.

Too bad, because Zadorov desperately wanted to return to the Canucks. And while you can rarely second-guess the Canucks front office who are on quite a roll, you really have to think hard about this one.

Just one man's opinion, but I'd rather have spent the extra $2m a season and brought back Zadorov. He brings a lot more offense, and the Canucks are going to dearly miss his physicality and menacing presence on the back end.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Myers played absolutely fantastic last season in the regular season and into the playoffs. Apparently he is well loved by his teammates, and is a student of the game. The coaches love him.
I am not totally against resigning Myers. He was signed at a decent price but I would of liked to see a 2 year contract instead. Honestly after the Canucks resigned Hronek I was hoping for management to go another route with a replacement for Myers. I don't mind Myers, but having him Desharnais and Forbort all penciled I to the lineup, the D really lacks any sort off offensive fire power other than the Hughes/Hronek pairing. I was hoping that the Canucks would of penciled Myers spot with a more two-way defenseman that can start his own offensive breakouts, and occasionally chip in on the scoresheet.
Obviously Foote and Gonchar see big things in Desharnais since they were the main factors on why he signed here, but we are still one Hughes injury away from being completely f%#ked.

We shall see though. With a healthy Demko and a up and coming Silovs. These trees on the backend and well above average goaltending could prove me and other doubters wrong and be the defensive powerhouse that the Canucks needed to move further into next year's playoffs.

Either way I am definitely looking forward to the upcoming Canuck season.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I guess it's a moot point now.....but would you rather have Myers at $3m for three seasons; or Zadorov at $5m for six seasons?

Myers is 34, and his three year deal carries him through to age 37 if it goes full term. Zadorov is 29, so his six year deal carries him through to age 35. I suppose the extra $2m and three years was too tough for the Canucks to swallow.

Too bad, because Zadorov desperately wanted to return to the Canucks. And while you can rarely second-guess the Canucks front office who are on quite a roll, you really have to think hard about this one.

Just one man's opinion, but I'd rather have spent the extra $2m a season and brought back Zadorov. He brings a lot more offense, and the Canucks are going to dearly miss his physicality and menacing presence on the back end.
I would’ve just not signed Myers and Forbort and given their money to Zadorov.

Desharnais was a good depth add with great upside and would’ve been more than fine running a Hughes-Hronek-Soucy-Zadorov-Desharnais d core with Juulsen/Woo/Wolanin fighting for that last 6D spot to start the season.

Hell even if Myers was resigned to a 1 year contract I wouldn’t have minded that. But 3 years is just ugly and probably the only contract I absolutely hate from Allvin that he’s ever signed.

Reactions: Tact

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
IComeInPeace said:

It actually makes a lot of sense. These big guys can handle the wear and tear better. You have one of those accidental collisions, it sure helps to be the 6'8" 230 lb guy and not the 5'10" 180 lb guy.

Reactions: Promethean

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I would’ve just not signed Myers and Forbort and given their money to Zadorov.

Desharnais was a good depth add with great upside and would’ve been more than fine running a Hughes-Hronek-Soucy-Zadorov-Desharnais d core with Juulsen/Woo/Wolanin fighting for that last 6D spot to start the season.

Hell even if Myers was resigned to a 1 year contract I wouldn’t have minded that. But 3 years is just ugly and probably the only contract I absolutely hate from Allvin that he’s ever signed.
I think that when you look at the off-season with the benefit of hindsight, a lot of Canucks would agree with you.

Scrolling back through some of the Zadorov comments, a lot of fans just assumed he was going to get at least $5m a season. In fact the worry was, he was going to demand even more than that. So I was kind of shocked when he left town for the same $5m contract ask.

But I guess the big sticking point was the 'term'. Canucks just weren't comfortable with a six-year deal for a guy who 'may' or 'may not' be a legit top-four d-man. And if he isn't a top-our d-man for the Bruins, then the contract won't look good either.

Allvin and Rutherford get at least a B+ or A- for their offseason work. But letting Zadorov walk might be their only 'mistake'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad