Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign HC Travis Green to multi-year extension.

Why do Green and his staff not have an extension?

• Total voters

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Tortorella gone, Tocchet let go, the season is barely over and opportunities are abounding. Carolina still hasn't done a deal with Brind'Amour yet.
Green should be concerned because some of these teams might hire sooner than later.
Or
Benning will panic and give Green Babcock type money and term, 7 years @ 6 mil, something stupid like that, at least if Benning still controls the finances he would.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
tortorella round 2? :naughty: tocchet not a bad choice either.

I’m not particularly high on either of them - and a big hell no to Tortorella. All due respect to him as a coach, but he mailed it in hard in his year in Vancouver.

More just interested that Green’s list of options appears to be growing.

Reactions: LordBacon

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m not particularly high on either of them - and a big hell no to Tortorella. All due respect to him as a coach, but he mailed it in hard in his year in Vancouver.

More just interested that Green’s list of options appears to be growing.

It’s so bizarre to me that Green is considered to have so many options.

Has anyone out there actually been watching this team in the last 4 years? We’re consistently a defensive mess outplayed on a vast majority of nights and only ever have experienced any success on the back of Vezina-caliber goaltending. I have no idea what this guy has done to make him so popular with media-types.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

Has anyone out there actually been watching this team in the last 4 years? We’re consistently a defensive mess outplayed on a vast majority of nights and only ever have experienced any success on the back of Vezina-caliber goaltending. I have no idea what this guy has done to make him so popular with media-types.

I think that in sports a lot of people are basically completely let off the hook if they're in a bit of a chaotic situation. i.e. people on the mainboard talking about how Willie didn't deserve to be fired because his team was bad, Benning being excused of his actions because Aquilini is a shit owner, goalies being given too much leeway because their defence isn't good.

If Green isn't brought back there'll be a ton of people talking about how what he's working with isn't good enough.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Green wouldn’t be the first coach who was less than stellar in his first stint with a team that went on to have a fruitful career, though. Clearly people see some things they like about him.

Reactions: mossey3535

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Green wouldn’t be the first coach who was less than stellar in his first stint with a team that went on to have a fruitful career, though. Clearly people see some things they like about him.

I don't disagree with you here, but I don't think this is a case where several teams should be lining up for him.

I want to like him and he seems to be a decently intelligent guy, but his lineup decisions just have become too much.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I get that and it's something I've said for years - generally NHL coaches don't become quality until their 2nd job when they can apply the lessons from the first one. Vigneault is a prime example.

But I don't see Green as being that guy. He hasn't changed a bit since he started in Utica 8 years ago and keeps holding himself back with all the same patterns.

And I honestly don't know what he does well. I don't see on-ice results. I don't see an obvious quality system. I don't see player development outside of guys who arrived fully-formed.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I am basically ambivalent towards Green, but it would just be so pathetic for nobody to get fired after this season. Basically the embodiment of the losing culture that they talked about avoiding ad nauseum.

No meaningful change after this year would be a huge slap in the face. This org needs a massive overhaul at so many levels.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Green is gone. He's the face of the season - a big reason why Jim has stayed out of the media IMO. He'll walk the plank.

I know Benning is saying he wants him back, but he was saying the same stuff about Judd Brackett too.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I feel like a lot of coaches get by on reputation and hearsay in the OBC.

If you actually watch them coach it's obvious what their weaknesses are.

Green isn't an NHL-level coach, and he hasn't shown the growth and evolution that's needed to become one. He repeats the same mistakes over and over.

Reactions: Peter10

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I am basically ambivalent towards Green, but it would just be so pathetic for nobody to get fired after this season. Basically the embodiment of the losing culture that they talked about avoiding ad nauseum.

We can avoid that losing culture if we re-sign Sutter though. Foundational.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Skilled upper level Managers know how to survive / self preservation by throwing other managers/ coaches /scout directors / team pres - under the bus..........

JB has shown that he is primarily concerned about his own job.

Look for Green to be stabbed in the back and thrown under the bus...... no loyalty in this group.

images

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Dhaliwal is insufferable with his marketing of Travis Green.

Donnie and Dhali just basically said keep Travis because the team "tries hard". So does Columbus. Who cares.

Coaching in the NHL should be less about the players giving effort for their coach and more about the teams structure. Players like Travis, especially veterans, because they get praised in the media, have ironclad roles on the team, and suffer no repercussions for blown "assignments" (in quotes because nobody has assignments, it's all about just go hard forward, chase hard back.....it's why the defense has to back in.....there is no structure. Of course NHL players like all out attack vs a disciplined hard to play against style.

The impact of a good coach is oh so visible by looking at the Islanders pre and post Trotz. They play hard too. They play a lot smarter though.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
That is the hope.

I fear with lost revenues the owner won’t let Benning go with 2 years left to pay him on his deal though.

We are talking about a multi BILLIONAIRE. He paid 6million dollars this year for 52 minutes of Lui Erikssons hockey.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dhaliwal is insufferable with his marketing of Travis Green.

Donnie and Dhali just basically said keep Travis because the team "tries hard". So does Columbus. Who cares.

Coaching in the NHL should be less about the players giving effort for their coach and more about the teams structure. Players like Travis, especially veterans, because they get praised in the media, have ironclad roles on the team, and suffer no repercussions for blown "assignments" (in quotes because nobody has assignments, it's all about just go hard forward, chase hard back.....it's why the defense has to back in.....there is no structure. Of course NHL players like all out attack vs a disciplined hard to play against style.

The impact of a good coach is oh so visible by looking at the Islanders pre and post Trotz. They play hard too. They play a lot smarter though.

I think it's more nuanced than that but I mostly agree. I do think a coach's ability to communicate and manage personalities is important. It has always been important, it's just that it was done a bit differently back then. A coach also has to make the necessary adjustments. I think with Green his system relies on outworking everyone. Full court presses rarely work for an entire season and into the playoffs.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Hell no to Torts - good thing we can't afford him. I doubt he wants to come back anyway, if his last effort here was any indication.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Torts would be an improvement to Green and, would actually give the team structure. However Bo would probably leave as a free agent and, Hughes, Boeser, and Pettersson would all want to be traded with in 2 years. For that reason I am out.

Reactions: JimmyJiveJones

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't think we can attract an unblemished marquee name after this season. there are too many question marks and headaches plus the fishbowl high pressure market. just the state of the cap and all the dollars on the shelf for another year would make a candidate with options hesitate at our situation. there's not a lot of known quantity help coming this off season, and pressure to bring along prospects who are not proven.

so i think we either get a new guy or a guy with some fleas, and aquaman won't accept the fleas. trent cull does not seem like an nhl coach in waiting, so if we hire i assume we will be poaching an ahl coach.

but knowing aquaman, he's probably trying to extend green for a year or two hoping to end next season on an up note and fire him and hire someone sexier.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00