Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek to 8y/7.25m Contract

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Nice that we can focus on guys staying long term and want to be here versus all the mercenary attitude from the UFAs who want to stay AND want it all.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
just going on record to say i hate this deal

too much term and too much money for a guy who has two decent half seasons in six years in the league. would have rather have spent it on theodore next season

i hope someone is able to rub my face in this post in the future but this is the worst transaction of the rutherford/allvin era so far imo

I totally get this view. You could very well be right and Hronek better achieve more consistency in the 2nd half and carry his own pair.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Agreed that it's an overpay (hoped for 6.5 max) but this is the market reality for top pair rhd. At least it's lower than Hughes.

Reactions: LandfiII

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I totally get this view. You could very well be right and Hronek better achieve more consistency in the 2nd half and carry his own pair.

I can't help but wonder if this formed part of Alvin's reasoning. Imagine how good the Canucks D-corps might be if a prospect or FA ends up as Hughes's partner, thereby freeing up Hronek to anchor a second pair. Honestly, when the Hronek trade was first made, my immediate assumption was that he'd anchor the second pair behind the Hughes pair. I was surprised to see them paired up this season, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Reactions: quat

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I can't help but wonder if this formed part of Alvin's reasoning. Imagine how good the Canucks D-corps might be if a prospect or FA ends up as Hughes's partner, thereby freeing up Hronek to anchor a second pair. Honestly, when the Hronek trade was first made, my immediate assumption was that he'd anchor the second pair behind the Hughes pair. I was surprised to see them paired up this season, but it's hard to argue with the results.
Tanev.

Reactions: nucks88

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed that it's an overpay (hoped for 6.5 max) but this is the market reality for top pair rhd. At least it's lower than Hughes.
Age plays a factor as well. Toews is only $500K higher on the AAV but he's 30 and just beginning his $7.75 mill per deal next season. Hronek is 26 going on 27 later in the year and Hanifin is also 27.

So, do you take the higher AAV without the likely declining years?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Fair deal. Money probably could have been used better elsewhere to bolster the lineup. This team is skilled but just too soft and had too many “passengers” in the playoffs and that was with Zadorov, Joshua, Lindholm in the lineup, imagine this team without them, yikes! The team seriously lacks tenacity & grit.

Last edited:

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Veeeeeery risky deal. Don't like it one bit. The money is actually fine, but Hronek's play fluctuated way too much through the season to warrant long term, let alone 8 years. Would've been fine with shopping for his rights if he didn't want to do 2-3 years even at a higher caphit.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
Didn't guess the term but I knew it would be 7.25. Paid the high cost to acquire him and he's been a great fit for Hughes. Trying to replace him would be a nightmare. Who's next?

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Age plays a factor as well. Toews is only $500K higher on the AAV but he's 30 and just beginning his $7.75 mill per deal next season. Hronek is 26 going on 27 later in the year and Hanifin is also 27.

So, do you take the higher AAV without the likely declining years?
I guess my take is colored by the 2nd half of his season and playoffs. For the future, it will be a fantastic deal if he brings his 1st half play on a consistent basis and conrtibutes more offense.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
neutral.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad