Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Really? You think Pod and a late 1st is an unfair price for Ehlers? What am I missing?
It says Hog or Pod. They don’t have the same value to start with, and as for the trade when considering cap hit I would rather have Hog. I would trade Hog for a solid top 4 RHD or a better forward who was a first line player if it’s a shorter contract or a better rounded top 6 player if it was a medium to long term
Contract.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Lindholm and Zadorov were big-time playoff performers in Vancouver, but a big part of me hopes they do a face-plant in Boston.

And there's a chance that could happen. Bruins are relying on Lindholm to be their No. 1 center. But it's still a debate whether he can carry that expectation. As or Zadorov, he's a 5-6 d-man on most teams. And would probably have been in that role for the Canucks. But $5m a season is far too much for a guy in that role.
I think Zadorov will be good value for most of the contract, Lindholm will just age poorly. I also think that with the cap going up the Lindhol contract will just be meh and not terrible. I would have liked it if he signed here for 7x7.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I'd love to go get werenski from CBJ. They're just wasting him there. Severson would be a nice consolation prize but how is his contract situation?
Peak Werenski would be great, but his durability has been an issue throughout his career. Shoulder injuries, hernias, etc. Those are the sort of mechanical injuries that may keep recurring (as opposed to freak accident injuries like shot blocks.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Sure would have been nice if Mikheyev would have went to SJ and we didn’t need to retain. Next year is going to suck with the peak OEL and the retention.

We still have enough to add a solid player to the line up, I don’t think they go on for to long without drafting in the first two rounds so let’s hope they find some solid college players or reclamation projects that pan out.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Sure would have been nice if Mikheyev would have went to SJ and we didn’t need to retain. Next year is going to suck with the peak OEL and the retention.

We still have enough to add a solid player to the line up, I don’t think they go on for to long without drafting in the first two rounds so let’s hope they find some solid college players or reclamation projects that pan out.
Let's hope they start picking in the first and second rounds.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Can people stop suggesting trades involving pods, our top prospects and top draft picks. Without at least explaining how they intend to be cap compliant. We are going to be one questionable team if we trade off all of our picks and top prospects in a very few short years. Because we will have to sign a few free agents, and fill out the rest of the lineup with waiver fodder to stay under the cap. WE have 2 contracts that we are going to have to sign. Demko, and decide if Boeser is worth the money. We will be shortly getting rid of OEL, and the cap will go up , but we are going to be up against the cap me expects.

Reactions: jd22

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
With that logic, year 1 fubar of our current management completely invalidates their 2nd year success.
WTF? They signed the most coveted international UFA on the market and he had a massive year. Hindsight being 20/20 they should have traded him at the deadline instead of extending him....but the extension was logical at the time given his age, the cap hit and relatively low term and the fact he meshed so well with Pettersson. They took a chance that Tocchet could bring his defensive game up a level and it didn't happen. When it became obvious that was going to be the case they dumped him on a divisional rival.

low cost with asymmetrical upside bets on: Bains, Aman, Joshua, Wolanin, Di Giuseppe...one of which hit jackpot, two have been useful depth pieces and a third has progressed nicely in the AHL.

I'm guessing you're talking specifically about the Mikheyev signing that didn't pan out because he blew his knee out in the first preseason game of year one and still hasn't fully recovered?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Silovs contract dragging on. If they are actually committed to starting the season under LTIR, getting him on a sub-$1M AAV deal will be important, as it may be the difference between adding another depth piece before the start of the season (ie. another defenseman) and running a 22-23 man roster.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
A few months after Eichel was traded he was handing out bloated contracts to Copp and Chiarot.

There have also been other impact players moved. Detroit hasn't found any of them.

In October of 2021 they had Seider, Raymond, Veleno, Rasmussen, Hronek as U25 regulars. By April 2024 ... it was the same group minus Hronek. That franchise has literally gone nowhere for the last couple years as they've accumulated bad contracts.

And as BES said, they've picked all low-upside bets unlike what Florida has done. You aren't going to get good value from giving Copp and Compher $11 million. It was a bet you couldn't win.

Yzerman right now is Benning-lite with better marketing, giving excessive money to third liners instead of fourth liners.

He got fewer core pieces than Vancouver because their scouts unnearthed nothing during their terrible years, now they're stuck in a muddy middle because of these bloated contracts to middling players.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Can people stop suggesting trades involving pods, our top prospects and top draft picks. Without at least explaining how they intend to be cap compliant. We are going to be one questionable team if we trade off all of our picks and top prospects in a very few short years. Because we will have to sign a few free agents, and fill out the rest of the lineup with waiver fodder to stay under the cap. WE have 2 contracts that we are going to have to sign. Demko, and decide if Boeser is worth the money. We will be shortly getting rid of OEL, and the cap will go up , but we are going to be up against the cap me expects.
Yeah, it's something else.

Some posters are like, "let's go get Werenski". Like, my guy. He has a $9.6M AAV. How do you expect to make the cap work?

Allvin's tried to be very prudent of the cap by making mostly short-term, flexible bets. Knowing that key guys (Demko, Hughes, Boeser) need to be re-signed or replaced.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yeah, it's something else.

Some posters are like, "let's go get Werenski". Like, my guy. He has a $9.6M AAV. How do you expect to make the cap work?

Allvin's tried to be very prudent of the cap by making mostly short-term, flexible bets. Knowing that key guys (Demko, Hughes, Boeser) need to be re-signed or replaced.

To further this, assuming one of Hoglander or Podkolzin is involved in a trade the max amount of space the Canucks have to take on is 4.5m. Even then, that doesn't include a back-up goalie so the number is closer to 3.5m on a full 23-man roster and utilizing LTIR.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That and make moves for actual impact players - they should have been big players for guys like Tkachuk, Eichel, etc. If you don't draft star talent, you've gotta trade for it.

Instead they just bloated their roster with a whole host of overpaid middling 30 year old UFAs and condemned themselves to mediocrity.

Like I said, I have no problem with the teardown or accumulation of assets. The exiting of the rebuild has not gone well and for two straight years they spent a lot in free agency without anything to show for it. None of the moves will cripple the franchise but his stated goal was to be a playoff team. He's also not added anyone to the team through drafting and developing. Obviously Raymond and Seider are huge, although Seider's development has stalled a bit, and Edvinsson should step into the line-up this year. The rest of the prospect pool is pretty disappointing. Soderblom is big, Johansson is a 23 year old average-sized defenceman, Wallinder had a rough first year in the AHL, and Kasper's upside isn't that high. Cossa took a step forward but until he breaks through, that's a team playing in the shallow goaltender pool.

This is why he's paying for free agents. The "Yzerplan" was to build through the draft and support them veteran UFAs. Unless there's a big development jump for a lot of those guys, it hasn't amounted to anything.

Any argument for Yzerman is completely invalidated by the Compher, Copp, Chiarot contracts. Woof. Benning-esque.

A few months after Eichel was traded he was handing out bloated contracts to Copp and Chiarot.

There have also been other impact players moved. Detroit hasn't found any of them.

In October of 2021 they had Seider, Raymond, Veleno, Rasmussen, Hronek as U25 regulars. By April 2024 ... it was the same group minus Hronek. That franchise has literally gone nowhere for the last couple years as they've accumulated bad contracts.

And as BES said, they've picked all low-upside bets unlike what Florida has done. You aren't going to get good value from giving Copp and Compher $11 million. It was a bet you couldn't win.
Yep. The lengths Wings fans will go to still defend Yzerman's management is something to behold. Mass delusion.

He's built a team gunked up with mid, overpaid FAs, capped the ceiling of the team to basically "hope for wildcard", and has no premium talent coming that could plausibly be expected to raise the ceiling of the team to another level.

He's done a bad job for years and everyone with eyes could see it. But hey, #trust the Yzerplan.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Would've liked Schmidt back at 800k for the 3rd LD spot.
I would have as well, and certainly would addressed the mobility and puck-moving limitations they have in the bottom-four. I doubt he was ever considering coming back to VAN, and when he was interviewed he said he specifically sought out FLA.

Reactions: DFAC

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yep. The lengths Wings fans will go to still defend Yzerman's management is something to behold. Mass delusion.

He's built a team gunked up with mid, overpaid FAs, capped the ceiling of the team to basically "hope for wildcard", and has no premium talent coming that could plausibly be expected to raise the ceiling of the team to another level.

He's done a bad job for years and everyone with eyes could see it. But hey, #trust the Yzerplan.

Apparently, now with no peeking at his top secret draft plans!

Reactions: Vector and timw33

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
To further this, assuming one of Hoglander or Podkolzin is involved in a trade the max amount of space the Canucks have to take on is 4.5m. Even then, that doesn't include a back-up goalie so the number is closer to 3.5m on a full 23-man roster and utilizing LTIR.
Well they could pay for 75% retention I guess...

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know exactly what it is about Yzerman that inspires people to want to see him fail so badly. If anyone can enlighten me on why they feel that way I'm all ears.

I think it's a bit of a ken holland effect - a lot of casual fans called yzerman a genius "because cups", even after it started to become more and more apparent that julien brisebois was the brain behind tampa's success.

probably some benning ptsd too - "boston won" probably granted that moron an extra year or two in the eyes of the broader casual fanbase

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Highest floor, lowest ceiling player in the middle of the first round is what he will take. It's not much of a secret Lol.
It's hilarious the public prospect writers can just predict their 1st round selection every year. Hopelessly transparent.

I bet the "under" draft position on Kasper, Danielson, and Brandsegg-Nygard each of the last drafts because I figured they just wouldn't get past Detroit lol.

Reactions: ManVanFan

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
As a general rule, I have no problem with management making a 2 year bet on a player that has upside potential that exceeds the contract value. If Desharnais is solid on the PK, adds a physical element, and plays regular third pairing minutes, $2M is a perfectly reasonable price if not a bargain. If he shows there is more upside, fantastic. If he busts and finds himself as a 7/8 on this team, it's only a 2 year bet. This just adds to my confidence that this management group knows what they are doing and are thinking longer term along with trying to win now.

The problem arises when players in this situation get more term. 3 years is too long. 4 years is not good at all. Poolman is the perfect example of too much term.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
This isn't really accurate. We were having trouble generating chances because of a lack of options offensively. Didn't help that Pettersson was messed up.
So you feel when a team has control in an offensive zone, and they pass the puck around continuously with no shots, or minimal it's because of lack of options offensively? Or is it because of shot selection? I guess the answer could be up for debate, I'm of the mindframe that this team chose to have less shots trying to pick perfect shots.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Apparently, now with no peeking at his top secret draft plans!

so-dumb-shoresy.gif

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
yzerman has now had 5 years in detroit.

my rule remains that any gm braintrust has 3 years to get traction. by year four the plan had to come together. if there has not been significant progress you bring in a new guy who is not emotionally invested in or obligated to the players and hockey ops hires.

so yzerman should have been turfed in may.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Tyson Barrie or Justin Schultz on a Forbort-type deal? $1M AAV would be better, since you could then sign Silovs and paper guys down to still be really close to the cap, but probably still under LTIR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad