Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
At $4.5m AAV over 2 years he would have been a good signing here. He would have given Pettersson another option, and perhaps some utility in the bumper on the Powerplay.

Would have probably prevented you from signing Heinen and one of the two defensemen. And Tarasenko had less goals than Hoglander.

Reactions: bossram

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Would have probably prevented you from signing Heinen and one of the two defensemen. And Tarasenko had less goals than Hoglander.

Hoglander had an unsustainable conversion rate and Tarasenko is the proven top6 talent. Pettersson being flanked by DeBrusk and Tarasenko is a lot better than adding depth, imo.

Ironically, this is the type of deal I thought Toffoli would sign. Almost exact on AAV.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hogs played with our 2 worst forwards in the playoffs.

Suter played with Miller and Boeser, didn't miss any games, and had only 1 more point....

Hogs is a better goal scorer than Joshua or Garland, who we are happy to pay more than Hogs next contract will likely be.

Lekkermaki is in no way some replacement any time soon. Hogs had a 20g pace in the NHL already, at the same age. People forget how young he is, largely because he forced his way onto the club as a teenager. Pretty unheard of for non 1st round picks.

We need his goals now, this coming season. He's an RFA, ain't just gonna walk. It's a good problem to have if he plays well this year and commands a hefty raise. Absolute hard no to any trade.
I agree with this. Hogs just had the same hiccups almost every good young player has in his development. He's just outside the top5 goal scorers in his draft year and many of the top performers still have much to work on 200ft

Reactions: CanucksSayEh

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
If Hoglander follows up last year with another decent year, he's absolutely someone management can use to get an upgrade at the deadline. By that point, you'll have gotten most of the juice out of the contract, and there's no guarantee of similar outperformance on the next one.

All this depends on who's available and the return obviously, but he's the one guy on the current roster where it's easy to see how he'd have more value to another team post deadline than he would here.

The ask for an elite upgrade is often a young roster who can play top 6/top 4, a 1st, and a high-end prospect. Rarely does anyone actually meet that price (its usually 2 out of 3 unless the player you're acquiring is young like Eichel), but if the right fit shakes loose & the player is truly elite, they shouldn't hesitate to throw Lekk in there too.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
lol is Yzerman going to try and bridge Seider and Raymon? Jim Benning-esque.
If Hoglander follows up last year with another decent year, he's absolutely someone management can use to get an upgrade at the deadline
I'd trade him before the season starts given his shooting percentage is likely to regress.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The Wallman deal was inexplicable but it speaks well of Yzerman that he didn't get into the overpays we saw on July 1st. Tarasenko on a short-term deal is a solid add for them, especially with Fabbri going out the door.

Bridging Raymond/Seider would be monumentally stupid - but i don't think he's going to do that.

Verbeek is also having a good summer - taking on expiring contracts to get supporting pieces is much smarter than trying to win UFA bidding wars. It looks like he learned from that moronic Killorn contract last year.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hoglander had an unsustainable conversion rate and Tarasenko is the proven top6 talent. Pettersson being flanked by DeBrusk and Tarasenko is a lot better than adding depth, imo.

Ironically, this is the type of deal I thought Toffoli would sign. Almost exact on AAV.

Toffoli is a much better scorer than Tarasenko at this point.

They went for depth and upside. Heinen had 17 goals, they think they can get more out of Sherwood and Joshua offensively, and Hoglander should be good for 15-20 goals.

I’ll take the two-way play and depth over a 32-year-old ~20 goal guy at north of $4M AAV.

Of course you take a look at him if cap is no consideration, but that’s way too high an annual salary number for the Canucks given the cap situation post-DeBrusk.

I’d look at a guy like that at the deadline pro-rata if we’ve accrued some space.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
The Wallman deal was inexplicable but it speaks well of Yzerman that he didn't get into the overpays we saw on July 1st. Tarasenko on a short-term deal is a solid add for them, especially with Fabbri going out the door.

Bridging Raymond/Seider would be monumentally stupid - but i don't think he's going to do that.

Verbeek is also having a good summer - taking on expiring contracts to get supporting pieces is much smarter than trying to win UFA bidding wars. It looks like he learned from that moronic Killorn contract last year.
Yzerman annoyed he wasn't able to land anyone decent, signing old guys and amassing cap space. I think he realizes that rebuilding on the fly isn't going to work and he needs a top talent out of the draft.

Their 2nd line is Tarasenko-Compher-Kane. On defence it's Seider and an untested Edvinsson then a bunch of 3rd pair guys. 4 goaltenders that are all shit. Prospect pool has some nice mid-good talents but really nothing special that Yzerman will not rush. What do ya do. lol.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Do not move Hoglander unless you're bringing in a young player like Pinto etc.
Canucks have done this in the past.. you draft a guy, bring him in, a bit of early success and then they're too fkin impatient to watch him further develop. McCann anyone? there were a few others too that slip my mind.

23 years old, 24 goals, 36 points. you dont trade this guy. You let him develop and you teach him and foster growth... then when he's 28 he's putting up 60 points and you have a legit top 6 winger.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Tarasenko is running on fumes. Talk about a body that's beat up.

I really dont want more opportunity taken away up front right now. Best to see how some of this comes together save the cap space and make a deal for an impact player at the deadline. Hopefully one we can retain that's a top4 D

Tarasenko fits right in with how Detroit played last year. 9th in GF 24th in GA.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Do not move Hoglander unless you're bringing in a young player like Pinto etc.
Canucks have done this in the past.. you draft a guy, bring him in, a bit of early success and then they're too fkin impatient to watch him further develop. McCann anyone? there were a few others too that slip my mind.

23 years old, 24 goals, 36 points. you dont trade this guy. You let him develop and you teach him and foster growth... then when he's 28 he's putting up 60 points and you have a legit top 6 winger.

Well that’s sort of the point. We now have a lot of middle six wingers, so if you can parlay those numbers into a younger defenseman (especially on the right) with second-pair upside, you probably look at it.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Tarasenko is running on fumes. Talk about a body that's beat up.

I really dont want more opportunity taken away up front right now. Best to see how some of this comes together save the cap space and make a deal for an impact player at the deadline. Hopefully one we can retain that's a top4 D
Agreed. I'm excited to see the energy these new forwards will bring. The pattern we are seeing from management is trying to get guys they believe are on the cusp of taking the next step, but before they have done so. Heinen and Sherwood are definitely that - I think they hope that DeBrusk and even Desharnais will be that as well.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Fabbri was a good looking player at one stage. He's missed 336 games while playing 320 over his last 8 seasons.

Injuries derailed his career. He was fast skilled and aggressive at one time

Reactions: Szechwan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It happens every Free Agent Frenzy day.......the panels and talking heads go ballistic over the latest big ticket signing, speculating on who 'won' and who 'lost'.

But the reality is that very few of these big name signings ever live up to their contracts with their new teams. You look at guys like Guentzel, Stamkos, Marchessault and Lindholm, and there's just no way they're going to 'out-perform' those bloated contracts. That's just the price you pay on July 1st.

It's usually the 'under the radar' signings that prove the best on July 1st. So in guys like like Heinen, Sherwood, Desharnais, Forbort and even DeBrusk, the Canucks are getting clear value--relative to the their contract numbers and term.

Still waiting for somebody on TSN or Sportsnet to write a column on "underrated UFA's' on July 1st.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fabbri was a good looking player at one stage. He's missed 336 games while playing 320 over his last 8 seasons.

Injuries derailed his career. He was fast skilled and aggressive at one time

Yeah, he was a guy who had some potential and a ton of injuries. But he's never done anything remotely to earn a $12 million contract. Even when he signed it he had 14 points in 29 games to start the 21-22 season.

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Could also be that UFAs just don't want to go there unless he offers insane term/money
i would think Anaheim would be a easy sell for any UFAs

Maybe the tax structure isnt as good as some if your looking for top NET incomes but what a great place to live during Oct to May and a great young core

Carlsson MacTavish Sennecke Mintyukov Zellweger look fantastic and Zegras Gauthier might not be too popular and a bit overrated but are still 2 fine young talents as well

Gibson Fowler Vatrano Terry are good vets

It's more likely after the Killorn and Gudas contracts that they dont want to lose future opportunities and assets by signing contracts that don't fit their upswing

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, he was a guy who had some potential and a ton of injuries. But he's never done anything remotely to earn a $12 million contract. Even when he signed it he had 14 points in 29 games to start the 21-22 season.
oh absolutely....i remember when that was signed thinking 4 million for what???.....the possibility that he for once in his career can stay healthy and actually show he's worth it?

Reactions: MS

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Well that’s sort of the point. We now have a lot of middle six wingers, so if you can parlay those numbers into a younger defenseman (especially on the right) with second-pair upside, you probably look at it.
If Hoglander can be a piece you move to get a young 2nd pairing defenseman, you absolutely consider it. However, I do like the scoring depth we had early last year, when we were getting regular contribution from the bottom 6. When guys like Suter and Hoglander got promoted, we got basically nothing from the bottom 6 (doesn't help that Joshua got hurt and Lafferty/Blueger went ice cold). The team's lack of scoring depth hurts when the top 2 lines got shut down.

I think a Hog-Suter-Sherwood 4th line has a lot of potential and can contribute some key offense and destroy the other team's bottom end of the roster. This will be valuable, especially at a combined cap hit of like $4.5m. Hog may not be perfect (he is still young and can still improve) and his shooting percentage may regress, but for a contending team, he is a valuable depth piece on a low cap hit. Keep him, you worry about his next contract after the season (similar to Boeser).

**also, some of those middle 6 guys are inevitably going to hit a cold streak. Having guys like Suter and Hoglander on the 4th line to start the season allows Tocchet to change things up during the season.

Reactions: Chiripa20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad