Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Why are we so dead set on accumulating Pettersson's?
1720035924461.png

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
i mean if the top 6 is something like pdg/miller/boeser, debrusk/pettersson/heinen, joshua/blueger/garland then that leaves sherwood, suter, podkolzin and hoglander. there's no way that's a tocchet 4th line imo

I do wonder about the fourth line too. I think Hoglander is a great fit there and played excellent tenacious checking hockey there last year before his goal scoring got him promoted ... started when Garland was playing there and became infectious. Sherwood will obviously be a perfect fit there ... as far as center not sure if Tocchet will want a Suter in there or someone more traditional like Aman. Which would put Suter up with Miller and Boeser.

the only way pods or hogs are in the lineup is if they play the system and if they do then yes they can be part of a tochett 4th line. hoglander absolutely has the physical game to play hard in his own zone if he chooses. pods is a bruiser.

to me the most likely place for pods would be the fourth line, if he makes it at all.

With our additions Pods is in very tough to have a role, if he even makes the team. Unless he comes into camp a different player. Both PDG and Aman are better players who offer more. I would probably trade him and then a waiver eligible player could be papered down on non-game days, if we even keep two extra forwards. I can't see Hogs not making the team, he was fourth in goal scoring with a whopping 24 goals. No way you sit him on the bench.

I think there's about zero chance PDG is anywhere near the top six following the winger acquisitions. I'm not sure he'll even be a regular in the line-up.

No way PDG is top 6. He almost played his way off the team last year. He didn't add very much. He's an extra forward in my eyes with 3 better wingers signed this off-season. I mean there are tonnes of ways for it to shake out but PDG and Pods are easily 13 and 14 in my books.

Debrusk Petey Heinen/Hogs
Suter/Heinen Miller Boeser
Joshua Blueger Garland
Hoglander Aman/Suter Sherwood
PDG/Pods

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
the 'we expect our young players to compete for spots' stuff is just standard gm patter. no gm ever says 'oh yeah we need to sign a bunch of guys because our farm is just total garbo'
Haha, no kidding. GM says something and people actually think that's set in stone. Are they new to hockey all together haha. Situations are very fluid.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We are ragging on Hoglander (who was in his first taste of playoff action) for fading in the playoffs at 1.1 mill/year... yet we have a guy who did the same thing for 11+ mill, with an "A" on his sweater and has been in the league a lot longer.

mmk.

I mean, people are ragging on Pettersson, too. He'd better be an absolute f*** ton better next year. Everyone knows that his bad play was a much bigger problem than Hoglander's.

But he's also a guy who scored 90 points and that buys you some slack, unlike a guy who is hanging onto the bottom of an NHL roster.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
We are ragging on Hoglander (who was in his first taste of playoff action) for fading in the playoffs at 1.1 mill/year... yet we have a guy who did the same thing for 11+ mill, with an "A" on his sweater and has been in the league a lot longer.

mmk.
I mean Petey got way more heat than Hog, not even close to the same tier, it felt like a right amount of criticism for both for the reasons you just stated.

Hoglander was a footnote, Petey got the negative headlines.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I hope Bains comes to camp ready to compete, strong and quick. Not sure I see Raty or Sassons outcompeting anyone but they’re outside chance I guess. But I agree virtually no room for anyone to come up.

Reactions: Chiripa20

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
I mean, people are ragging on Pettersson, too. He'd better be an absolute f*** ton better next year. Everyone knows that his bad play was a much bigger problem than Hoglander's.

But he's also a guy who scored 90 points and that buys you some slack, unlike a guy who is hanging onto the bottom of an NHL roster.
Well I mean he scored 24 goals and played a good portion of the season on the 4th line.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I hope Bains comes to camp ready to compete, strong and quick. Not sure I see Raty or Sassons outcompeting anyone but they’re outside chance I guess. But I agree virtually no room for anyone to come up.
I see Raty/Sasson having a higher chance of becoming an everyday NHLer than Bains to be honest. But it’s close between them and yeah agreed there’s basically no one that really stands out and no room for anyone to come up.

Reactions: Fraser28

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
TOI all situations after Pettersson Miller Boeser last year

Debrusk 16:49------------Lindholm 17:42------Kuzmenko 14:21
Suter 15:29
Blueger 14:56
Garland 14:32
Heinen 14:27--------------Mikhayev 14:15
Joshua 14:23
Sherwood 12:10-----------Lafferty 11:32
Hoglander 12:06-----------Beauvillier 13:39
PDG 12:05

Bains 11:48
Podkolzin 10:48
Amen 10:20
Karlsson 10:08

I see...
*Debrusk with Pettersson replacing Kuz and Lindholm/Mikh who didnt really work with EP40
*Suter moving back to the middle
*2 spots up for grabs with Miller and Pettersson one will be Heinen and Hoglander probably getting the first chance to make the other work

Reactions: ManVanFan

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hogs played with our 2 worst forwards in the playoffs.

Suter played with Miller and Boeser, didn't miss any games, and had only 1 more point....

Hogs is a better goal scorer than Joshua or Garland, who we are happy to pay more than Hogs next contract will likely be.

Lekkermaki is in no way some replacement any time soon. Hogs had a 20g pace in the NHL already, at the same age. People forget how young he is, largely because he forced his way onto the club as a teenager. Pretty unheard of for non 1st round picks.

We need his goals now, this coming season. He's an RFA, ain't just gonna walk. It's a good problem to have if he plays well this year and commands a hefty raise. Absolute hard no to any trade.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Hoglander and/or Podkolzin are going to be traded this year with our 1st. It’s almost guaranteed.
Rasmus Andersson plz. (Add whatever it may take to the above if needed)

Or someone of that ilk. May as well go back to the Calgary well since we've established a trading relationship with them.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If reports are accurate, three names come up every time the Canucks talk 'trade' with another team. And those players are Wilander, Lekkerimaki and Hoglander.

I mean the Hoglander scores 24 goals, without the benefit any PP time and a roll call of various line-mates all season long. And he's signed for next season at a paltry $1.1m at which point he's an RFA.

He's the poster boy for everything you're praying for from a young guy on an ELC. I don't worry about playoff scoring at all. A lot of even star players get shut down in the playoffs when they're young.

Reactions: Chiripa20 and quat

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It's worth noting that after management gave some lip service to a 'push from the farm' and some posters here were expecting a bunch of Abbotsford guys on the team next year, there is basically no room for anyone except Silovs and maybe Podkolzin, both of whom we already saw lots of last year.

not that they'd have a huge amount of trade value, but wonder if we see any of bains + raty + pod moved to teams like tampa or toronto that are always hunting for value at the bottom of the roster

Definitely seemed that was going to be the case when it was presented to everyone that they were going to be big game hunting. Funny how the actual strategy was the complete opposite.

Still, if they end up moving out Podkolzin and Hoglander for a defenseman or scoring forward then we’ll most likely see someone from the farm get a spot.

there's still guys like pdg and aman that may not necessarily pencil into the opening night roster even after the younger guys. the actual strategy could still be to consolidate for a big game player like konecny.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I see Raty/Sasson having a higher chance of becoming an everyday NHLer than Bains to be honest. But it’s close between them and yeah agreed there’s basically no one that really stands out and no room for anyone to come up.

Eh.... if any one of the kids shows well during training camp or preseason I'm sure they'll make room for them. The problem is, is there anyone that will impress?

The most likely candidates are probably Bains or Sassons IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad