Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
This team has more than enough forward options to be able to determine who fits the team and the timeline and who doesn't. There is enough high level talent, solid goaltending, and defensive buy in for this team to be able to win games and be top 3 in the division despite line shuffling, new acquisitions adjusting, shooting % going down for certain players, experimenting with adding more offense and taking more risks, etc. By the TDL (probably before that, considering how this management group likes to work), they'll know which guys are staying, which guys are going, and act accordingly. If a guy like Willander looks like he's years away, for example, he's gone. If Tocchet still doesn't trust Hogs defensive game, he's gone.

I definitely think they will extend Boeser. We just saw Buchnevich extend for 6 more years, and barring a surprise trade, it sounds like Konecny is going to extend in Philly. These are two mid-late 20s wingers on non-playoff teams. There is really no point in letting him walk in free agency next year.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Assuming the Canucks stand pat this off-season and dump Poolman, I'm expecting them to trade Hoglander+2nd for an upgrade at forward and a 1st+non-top 4 d-man + maybe another piece for a top 4 d-man some time around Feb/March if they're in a similar spot as last season.

Reactions: ameselare

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Assuming the Canucks stand pat this off-season and dump Poolman, I'm expecting them to trade Hoglander+2nd for an upgrade at forward and a 1st+non-top 4 d-man + maybe another piece for a top 4 d-man some time around Feb/March if they're in a similar spot as last season.
The asset we will need to give up to dump Poolman will sting, but Allvin & co. definitely believe it's worth it to not have to operate in LTIR, and I tend to agree.

Reactions: Nuckles

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's worth noting that after management gave some lip service to a 'push from the farm' and some posters here were expecting a bunch of Abbotsford guys on the team next year, there is basically no room for anyone except Silovs and maybe Podkolzin, both of whom we already saw lots of last year.
There's all sorts of room but unlike the past they will have to earn it.

But yes the "lip service" was a thing im just not sure they thought they would get Blueger Joshua back plus a couple good bargain signings in Heinen and Sherwood.

Also this seems to be the trend here to get players to commit and not let agents try and leverage the Canucks down and we're also in a contention period now so not much room for players to make a lot of mistakes or not play their roles well.

Last edited:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
i think people will be sad when he doesn't shoot 20% again. likely he'll have to work harder and improve just to maintain.

seems like a no-brainer to use him and his cheap contender to try and extract a nice piece from a capped out contender.

i would love to try and get Theodore with him.

If there is a trade based around Hoglander for Theodore then we absolutely do it. Would be a steal.

I also wonder what the price is on Laine - would only do a trade if significant retention is involved

Reactions: Wisp

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's worth noting that after management gave some lip service to a 'push from the farm' and some posters here were expecting a bunch of Abbotsford guys on the team next year, there is basically no room for anyone except Silovs and maybe Podkolzin, both of whom we already saw lots of last year.

Definitely seemed that was going to be the case when it was presented to everyone that they were going to be big game hunting. Funny how the actual strategy was the complete opposite.

Still, if they end up moving out Podkolzin and Hoglander for a defenseman or scoring forward then we’ll most likely see someone from the farm get a spot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i get the feeling that

There's all sorts of room but unlike the past they will have to earn it.

But yes the "lip service" was a thing im just not sure they thought they would get Blueger Joshua back plus a couple good bargain signings in Heinen and Sherwood.

Also this seems to be the trend here to get players to commit and not let agents try and leverage the Canucks down and we're also in a contention period now so not much room for players to make a lot of mistakes or not play their roles well.

I think that the lip service was basically just a PR thing to get out in front of it in case they struggled to land players in free agency.

It's good to be a good team again with a coach that players want to play for. Opposite of the Benning years when we could only get guys by paying a premium and having them hold their noses to sign.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Definitely seemed that was going to be the case when it was presented to everyone that they were going to be big game hunting. Funny how the actual strategy was the complete opposite.

Still, if they end up moving out Podkolzin and Hoglander for a defenseman or scoring forward then we’ll most likely see someone from the farm get a spot.

Yeah I would rather have someone on the farm who is doing so damn well that you make a move to get them on your NHL roster than put yourself in a position where you need 1-2 farm guys to fill the team or you're hooped and have to hit the waiver wire/sign vets in October.

It's not like anyone blew the doors off the AHL, it was more that we had positive steps from a few players and still need further steps. Bains the closest to ready for a spot but was up and down in his NHL audition.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I don't really see Podkolzin being traded because...he just doesn't have much trade value anymore unless he has a breakout year. His AHL and NHL numbers the past couple of years aren't anything special.
He's a bust. People need to accept it already. Guys like PDG and Karlsson have already passed him on the depth chart.
I'm sure they'd trade him if he requests a trade to have a fresh start somewhere else, on a rebuilding or retooling team or something. But yeah, he's not moving any needles when it comes to a trade for a high end forward or defenseman. He'd be a throw in.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
the 'we expect our young players to compete for spots' stuff is just standard gm patter. no gm ever says 'oh yeah we need to sign a bunch of guys because our farm is just total garbo'

Exactly, and they have already done enough of the light throwing under the bus of the previous regime which developed essentially no players using the farm system that are currently on this roster. Can't keep harping on that one now that they are working towards 3 years on the job and need to show that they themselves can develop useful NHL players using their development system.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I could see a world where the Penguins get off to a bad start and trade Marcus Pettersson early like Calgary did with Zadorov. Pettersson though I think is a legit number # 3 that was top pairing quality last year. Also if the Kings fall off the Canucks will be all over Gavirkov.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
He's a bust. People need to accept it already. Guys like PDG and Karlsson have already passed him on the depth chart.
Yep, but that's not to say he can't carve out a role as a physical, high energy bottom 6 winger. He threw a f***ton of hits last year (20.74 hits/60), and even though he didn't score any goals he had a number of good scoring chances.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I don't really see Podkolzin being traded because...he just doesn't have much trade value anymore unless he has a breakout year. His AHL and NHL numbers the past couple of years aren't anything special.

Most teams in the league have a "Podkolzin" in that weird space where they have just become waiver eligible and need to stay on the NHL roster and start getting waived and other teams go "woah! a top 10 pick on waivers lets get that guy without contextualizing what that player has done since being drafted.

I think we could see us trade Podkolzin for someone's "Podkolzin" that brings a different skillset or position.

Reactions: ameselare

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I could see a world where the Penguins get off to a bad start and trade Marcus Pettersson early like Calgary did with Zadorov. Pettersson though I think is a legit number # 3 that was top pairing quality last year. Also if the Kings fall off the Canucks will be all over Gavirkov.
Yeah I think the Penguins are soft-rebuilding/retooling right now without saying so. Could have some guys available throughout the season. Will be interesting to see if they go the Calgary route this year. I honestly think they should, these next few drafts are absolutely loaded, and we know Pittsburgh has great draft lottery luck. Part of me is already expecting them to get McKenna in 2026 lol.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Most teams in the league have a "Podkolzin" in that weird space where they have just become waiver eligible and need to stay on the NHL roster and start getting waived and other teams go "woah! a top 10 pick on waivers lets get that guy without contextualizing what that player has done since being drafted.

I think we could see us trade Podkolzin for someone's "Podkolzin" that brings a different skillset or position.

The difference with Podkolzin is that normally these 23 y/o borderline waiver guys are top-6 or PP QB/bust skill players who can't really re-profile whereas in Podkolzin's case he has a pretty clear path and skillset to be a guy with bottom-6 utility.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
i think people will be sad when he doesn't shoot 20% again. likely he'll have to work harder and improve just to maintain.

seems like a no-brainer to use him and his cheap contract to try and extract a nice piece from a capped out contender.

i would love to try and get Theodore with him.

Biggest concern with Hoglander is how he seemed to fade down the stretch and into the playoffs. He never even showed potential that he could raise his game when the intensity ramps up. He was totally pushed around and neutralized in both series.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think Pod's confidence issues are going to be an issue for him as a bottom 6 player, he needs to change his mindset if he wants to carve out a career as a bottom 6 energy guy

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Why are we so dead set on accumulating Pettersson's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad