Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah I see no reason for Buffalo to do that Jokiharju finally turned a corner last year and started to establish himself as a top 4 defenceman. Podklozkin who I still really like has very little value at the moment.
Buffalo does have a shortage of grit in their top9 within their young players but yes in either case of Hayton or Jokiharju we're adding to Podkolzin.

If it's a way to save picks and add some value contracts for our defense and a 3C you have to try and make it happen if Pod is not in the top9 plans ( IF you can still leverage his draft pedigree)

As people have been discussing you need to have a next wave as players start to get to their peak cap hits or there is simply no way to improve the team. Free agency once again shows that if that's your way to make an impact that it's gonna come with a world of hurt in 3-4seasons if not sooner.

Some ghastly deals just signed thankfully Allvin avoided the 30yr olds with term.

Reactions: quat

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think they move hoglander and hogs if those two cannot play the system. hogs will likely go because he needs to cheat to score by gassing himself in the ozone chasing pucks with no ability to get back on defence after. pods might make it if he can become a reliable soldier but i think his struggles with hockey iq are coming to a head. if he goes it is because he has turned out to be a jack skille with a less impressive power move.

the battle with kuzmenko established the team is not going to keep any players outside the core who need to play their own game to be productive.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think the bolded is what will happen, given Tocc liking his "spine". As for the rest of the forward combos, I think they'll kinda be constantly mixed up, with most of the players in a tight TOI band except for Miller, Boeser, and Petey (at the high-end) and Hog/Podz (at the low end).

Think we may see something like this to start:

Heinen - Miller - Boeser (primary matchup line)
Debrusk - Petey - Sherwood (primary offensive line)
Joshua - Suter - Garland (we know this unit works too)
Hoglander - Blueger - PDG

The interesting thing is that with DeBrusk-Pettersson you have 2/3rds of a line you can potentially run against anybody (along with Miller-Boeser). So you could have two match-up lines. It will depend who the other winger is on the Pettersson line, as I don't think Tocchet really uses Hoglander in that role. I expect Sherwood will at least start on the fourth line, but will be given some chances up line-up.

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
In one of the Athletic articles they were saying that internally the Canucks see even more potential with Sherwood potentially moving up the lineup given that his ES production/60 is insanely good, he has a good shot/speed, and has been one of the more prolific scorers in the AHL before finally cracking the NHL full time.

I like the idea of trying Debrusk/Sherwood with Pettersson, although both wingers might be a bit too straight-line and not cerebral enough?
Debrusk-Miller-Sherwood
Heinen/Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

Could be worth a try.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i think they move hoglander and hogs if those two cannot play the system. hogs will likely go because he needs to cheat to score by gassing himself in the ozone chasing pucks with no ability to get back on defence after. pods might make it if he can become a reliable soldier but i think his struggles with hockey iq are coming to a head. if he goes it is because he has turned out to be a jack skille with a less impressive power move.

the battle with kuzmenko established the team is not going to keep any players outside the core who need to play their own game to be productive.

yeah i think the heinen signing really indicates neither podkolzin or hoglander are in the plans for this season. the top six wingers are gonna be some combination of boeser, debrusk, garland, joshua, suter and heinen with pdg and sherwood with a chance too. that leaves hog and podkolzin both on the outside and i just don't see tocchet really wanting to go that with with his bottom six

podkolzin probably has minimal value but they should try to convert hoglander into a top 4 d or package him with another winger/picks to upgrade at wing

Reactions: Canucker

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Hopefully more of a plan than “we’re going to strap you to a chair in the video room and show you footage of Chris Pronger”
clockwork-orange-behind-the-scenes.jpeg

BE LIKE THE TALL ANGRY MAN!

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The interesting thing is that with DeBrusk-Pettersson you have 2/3rds of a line you can potentially run against anybody (along with Miller-Boeser). So you could have two match-up lines. It will depend who the other winger is on the Pettersson line, as I don't think Tocchet really uses Hoglander in that role. I expect Sherwood will at least start on the fourth line, but will be given some chances up line-up.
I think you kind of already know my preferences though:
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Heinen - Petey - Debrusk
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Hoglander - Aman - Sherwood

The top-three lines could all be matchup lines in some way, and I think all three would result in pretty cracked xG%.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
yeah i think the heinen signing really indicates neither podkolzin or hoglander are in the plans for this season. the top six wingers are gonna be some combination of boeser, debrusk, garland, joshua, suter and heinen with pdg and sherwood with a chance too. that leaves hog and podkolzin both on the outside and i just don't see tocchet really wanting to go that with with his bottom six
disagree. i think they will try and play three scoring lines again, one built around miller, one pettersson and one garland, likely stapled to joshua. everybody else will rotate looking for a fit. there is no bottom six. just a fourth line which will also be fluid.

also disagree on team plans. i am pessimistic hoglander and pods make it but i think the team has not given up on either. hoglander can absolutely stick if he brings a system first commitment. pods can stick if he can play the system which i think he is already committed to doing. i'd agree they are prepared for the worst if they do not, and are also prepared to trade them for the right deal, but they are not actively shopping either which is what they would do if they were no longer in their plans.

Reactions: Chiripa20 and quat

aregora

Jan 6, 2018
It's fun constructing lines with all of the options on forward. Here's what I'd start off with:

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Petterson - Garland
Heinen - Suter - Sherwood
Whoever - Blueger - Whoever

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
disagree. i think they will try and play three scoring lines again, one built around miller, one pettersson and one garland, likely stapled to joshua. everybody else will rotate looking for a fit. there is no bottom six. just a fourth line which will also be fluid.

also disagree on team plans. i am pessimistic hoglander and pods make it but i think the team has not given up on either. hoglander can absolutely stick if he brings a system first commitment. pods can stick if he can play the system which i think he is already committed to doing. i'd agree they are prepared for the worst if they do not, and are also prepared to trade them for the right deal, but they are not actively shopping either which is what they would do if they were no longer in their plans.

i mean if the top 6 is something like pdg/miller/boeser, debrusk/pettersson/heinen, joshua/blueger/garland then that leaves sherwood, suter, podkolzin and hoglander. there's no way that's a tocchet 4th line imo

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i mean if the top 6 is something like pdg/miller/boeser, debrusk/pettersson/heinen, joshua/blueger/garland then that leaves sherwood, suter, podkolzin and hoglander. there's no way that's a tocchet 4th line imo
the only way pods or hogs are in the lineup is if they play the system and if they do then yes they can be part of a tochett 4th line. hoglander absolutely has the physical game to play hard in his own zone if he chooses. pods is a bruiser.

to me the most likely place for pods would be the fourth line, if he makes it at all.

Reactions: Chiripa20

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I think there's about zero chance PDG is anywhere near the top six following the winger acquisitions. I'm not sure he'll even be a regular in the line-up.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the only way pods or hogs are in the lineup is if they play the system and if they do then yes they can be part of a tochett 4th line. hoglander absolutely has the physical game to play hard in his own zone if he chooses. pods is a bruiser.

to me the most likely place for pods would be the fourth line, if he makes it at all.

neither of them 'play the system' though. that's the problem. podkolzin is a passenger and hoglander has no discipline

I think there's about zero chance PDG is anywhere near the top six following the winger acquisitions. I'm not sure he'll even be a regular in the line-up.

i think they'd prefer to use suter there but i also think aman is on the outs. ideally they'd acquire another center so they can shift suter around

tocchet loves pdg. he's 100% an everyday player again next year

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
i think they'd prefer to use suter there but i also think aman is on the outs. ideally they'd acquire another center so they can shift suter around

tocchet loves pdg. he's 100% an everyday player again next year

I dunno, literally the only guy I can see PDG subbing in for is Podkolzin. The rest of the top twelve forwards are basically spoken for at this point. I see him rotating with Aman and Podkolzin on the 4th line.

Unless they trade Hoglander.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I’d rather have a top 5 PK with some nastiness on the backend than 2 butter-soft defenders that may move the puck a tad better but need to be sheltered defensively. Couple posters acting like we lost 2 great puck moving defencemen in Zadorov and Cole, we lost 2 big strong defensive defencemen & replaced them with 2 cheaper defensive defencemen who are better on the PK. We lost a bit of size as Zadorov was 250 & Cole was 225 (Desharnais is 226 & Forbort is 216). The hits won’t be as thunderous with less mass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiripa20

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Heinen - Miller - Boeser
DeBrusk - Petterson - Hoglander (for now)
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
PDG - Suter - Sherwood

I'd be fine with Hoglander to being moved for an actual tp 6 RW with speed.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This place in the offseason man..

Team once again can't score goals (predictably), solution? Trade our $1M young goal scorer, who was the best player on his line ALL YEAR, be it 4th or 2nd.
Problem is if Hoglander scores 20+ goals again he's not going to be a $1M player next year, and between raises to Boeser and the OEL buyout the Canucks aren't going to be able to afford to pay him the $2-3M he likely earns and you likely have Lekkerimaki on an ELC taking his spot.

In my opinion, if Hogs doesn't step up and provide more value to the team you look at him as a trade deadline asset for a more valuable veteran on an expiring contract that will helps us more in the playoffs. He did score 25 goals in the regular season, but then only 1 goal in the playoffs where it counts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Problem is if Hoglander scores 20+ goals again he's not going to be a $1M player next year, and between raises to Boeser and the OEL buyout the Canucks aren't going to be able to afford to pay him the $2-3M he likely earns and you likely have Lekkerimaki on an ELC taking his spot.

In my opinion, if Hogs doesn't step up and provide more value to the team you look at him as a trade deadline asset for a more valuable veteran on an expiring contract that will helps us more in the playoffs. He did score 25 goals in the regular season, but then only 1 goal in the playoffs where it counts.

I think Hoglander is exceedingly unlikely to be on the team's roster in 25-26.

The question is whether you move him now or whether you use up the value on his contract through this season before moving him next summer (or at the deadline).

Next summer he's going to have an arbitration case with a 24-goal season on his resume and I think we walk before we pay him $3 million unless he does something crazy this upcoming year.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Hoglander is speedy, give the kid a chance, he did score 24 goals last year, if he can progress even more.
i think people will be sad when he doesn't shoot 20% again. likely he'll have to work harder and improve just to maintain.

I think Hoglander is exceedingly unlikely to be on the team's roster in 25-26.

The question is whether you move him now or whether you use up the value on his contract through this season before moving him next summer (or at the deadline).

Next summer he's going to have an arbitration case with a 24-goal season on his resume and I think we walk before we pay him $3 million unless he does something crazy this upcoming year.
seems like a no-brainer to use him and his cheap contract to try and extract a nice piece from a capped out contender.

i would love to try and get Theodore with him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad