Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
i think the washington captials are over the cap. any interest in their defensemen? like tvr?

ramus anderson from calgary. or cernak? The forward group 100% got better , defense is more of the same. but slower. depends on who they get for that 2nd pairing down the road should be okay.
TVR I actually like quite a bit. Would be an interesting target. But the $3M AAV is probably a bit much, I'd rather preserve the flexibility in-season. I think Washington also might believe Oshie just can't be healthy anymore, and will also get shifted to LTIR.

I don't see Andersson or Cernak moving. Canucks don't have the assets to acquire them, or space.

still need more speed in your top 6. adding debrusk was the beginning. if they can find another speedy forward to play alongside ep40 it would do wonders.
They have Heinen and Sherwood as options already.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I think there are more acts to come from Vegas, but yeah, watching some of this blow up in their face is a bit enjoyable. I've said it a few times, biggest asshole franchise in the league. Yes, it's a business and yes hard decisions get made sometimes, but that franchise is so quick to cast things aside to chase other shiny toys. They look to be in a bit of a cap conundrum right now, and with Shea Theodore becoming a free agent next year, it'll be interesting to see what they juggle and prioritize.

They'll still be a good team, and the acquisition of Hanifin is a really good one for their back end - but I didn't love the Hertl trade for them.
LOL. Talk about making something out of nothing.

It's no different than Lindholm and Zadorov leaving and the comments he made about Marchessault leaving were pretty well exactly like what Allvin has said about his free agents leaving.

Imagine a franchise trying to win a SC. Lol. Where did OEL, Montour go from Florida. Why in the world is Aaron Ekblad on the trade block? It's almost as if it's a regular occurrence players get traded or leave in free agency from every team that wins a SC.

Reactions: bossram

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Kaliyev would be Tocchets whipping boy. He's just good hands with a high end shot.

Slow shit work ethic and compete level not really interested
Yep. Not interested. Way too slow, won't mesh with Tocc.

Like that combo too, also intrigued by @bossram idea just drop ep between the two new ex bruins. Or between joshua and garland.

You know brock & Miller work so leave that alone, but I also think you have to staple Hoglander into the top 6(9) for awhile, if he's going to break out give him the chance to really provide surplus value with skilled players.
I really want to see Heinen - Petey - Debrusk. I think that will be an excellent line.

I don't have a problem with Hoglander going back to the 4th line for now, and moving up for injuries or a line shakeup.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If Pod has some intrigue which he will as teams love to give the high picks 2nd and 3rd chances you try and find a similar player on D and move on at this point.

It's pretty obvious to me that the organization is building over and around him now and it wouldn't surprise me if he asks for a fresh start if he's benched or on a 4th line to start the year getting 10minutes a game. If his camp is anything like last year he's going on waivers anyway.

It pains me to say it because i've held out as much hope as anyone but reading the tee leaves and after last years nothing performance i just don't see how they would pass an opportunity to get some asset value back and it's probably the smart play given we need to find a young puck mover and maybe a 3C.

Jokiharju and Barrett Hayton are 2 RFAs that i would be sniffing around

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Knights GM Kelly McCrimmon Knights press conference.

Closing comments
Days like these hard for fans, but even harder for GMs. “I know these players better than fans”. “We didn’t trade these players.” “We made fair offers, and they had the chance to chase something different.”
“One of the big reasons why we won the Cup is because we had a lot of players outperforming their contracts, but when their contracts are up, there’s not much you can do.”
-------------

I had said it months ago Miller, Joshua, Petey, Hughes, Hronek, Hoglander, Zad, Lindholm, Demko. I'd say all of them out performed their contracts last season. Clear raises and gone are Lindholm and Zad. Hronek and Joshua getting much larger contracts but staying.

Slippery slope for the next couple of years to find good ELC's and be able to afford to pick up what they need at the TDL.

We still have that though.

Miller, Hoglander, and Demko are all still here under the same contract. Then you have Boeser, who I feel you missed. And, to a lesser extent even Soucy.

Some of our re-signings and new players still have the ability to out perform their current contracts, I would put all of DeBrusk, Heinen, Blueger, Sherwood, Podkolzin, Forbort and even Desharnais in that category. Next year, a lot of those players are still signed under the same contract, and we will potentially have some ELCs coming in.

I really don't think we're in bad shape, it's just right now were still in that unknown category. This time last year, all of Hronek, Joshua, Hoglander, Zadorov, and Lindholm were all unknown quantities or not on the roster. Trust our pro scouting and trust the process, but I think overall our frame work has us in pretty good shape.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I would love to get Byram out of Buffalo but i doubt we have what they would be looking for in return

Podkolzin for Jokiharju i would entertain. I think Pod not being able to crack our roster last year and with growth from Lekk Raty Bains and the likes of Sherwood Heinen and Joshua signed is almost redundant here now. All the Russians are gone also so it seems like a move that is inevitable for a fresh start
Yeah I see no reason for Buffalo to do that Jokiharju finally turned a corner last year and started to establish himself as a top 4 defenceman. Podklozkin who I still really like has very little value at the moment.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Oshie is going to get LTIRed. Otherwise there’s no way they would be cap compliant. He also said as much at the end of the year.

Predators have eaten up all their cap space and will be right up against it.

There’s still a lot of work left to be done for most teams. Canucks at least can go into their season comfortable with their line-up and ability to make in-season moves.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If Pod has some intrigue which he will as teams love to give the high picks 2nd and 3rd chances you try and find a similar player on D and move on at this point.

It's pretty obvious to me that the organization is building over and around him now and it wouldn't surprise me if he asks for a fresh start if he's benched or on a 4th line to start the year getting 10minutes a game. If his camp is anything like last year he's going on waivers anyway.

It pains me to say it because i've held out as much hope as anyone but reading the tee leaves and after last years nothing performance i just don't see how they would pass an opportunity to get some asset value back and it's probably the smart play given we need to find a young puck mover and maybe a 3C.

Jokiharju and Barrett Hayton are 2 RFAs that i would be sniffing around
I love Hayton but I don't see any scenario where Utah gives him up.

Atleast not to Van.

Reactions: Nick Lang

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

I really want to see Heinen - Petey - Debrusk. I think that will be an excellent line.

I don't have a problem with Hoglander going back to the 4th line for now, and moving up for injuries or a line shakeup.
I wouldn't get too stuck on trio's.

Its basically Miller-Boeser Pettersson-Debrusk Joshua-Garland and fill in the blanks as injuries and player performances flow.

Even Blueger who will likely start with Joshua and Garland i could see getting subbed for Suter and maybe even Raty if he shows some growth for stretches.

Blueger has 11 goals in his last 160 games so as good as he is at defending he's not a lock to be centering that line for any length with no finish.

Reactions: Kryten

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I wouldn't get too stuck on trio's.

Its basically Miller-Boeser Pettersson-Debrusk Joshua-Garland and fill in the blanks as injuries and player performances flow.

Even Blueger who will likely start with Joshua and Garland i could see getting subbed for Suter and maybe even Raty if he shows some growth for stretches.

Blueger has 11 goals in his last 160 games so as good as he is at defending he's not a lock to be centering that line for any length with no finish.
I'm not stuck in trios. They have a lot of forward options and guys will get moved around.

I just want to see Heinen - Petey - Debrusk because I think they'll be very good.

Reactions: sting101

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Blake seems like an idiot.

Trade Pod for Kaliyev since LA appears to value size over anything.

Stick Kaliyev on EP's wing.

Don't think Kaliyev is a fit here. If we're trying to exploit Blake, the guy I would be trying to pry out of LA is Jacob Moverare. He can be the supporting puck carrier to swap in with Forbort as needed, with some upside.

I also wonder if Montreal would be willing to give up one of their puck-movers. Obviously Hutson and Reinbacher are untouchables, and I want no part of Meilleux, but maybe Harris or Guhle...Damn the Habs are asset rich, lmao. Would also look at Heinola and Samberg in Winnipeg.

This would crater his asset value - I'd rather the team just move on, even if all you get is a pick. Could potentially see a contender with minimal cap room giving up a 2nd for him.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Oshie is going to get LTIRed. Otherwise there’s no way they would be cap compliant. He also said as much at the end of the year.

Predators have eaten up all their cap space and will be right up against it.

There’s still a lot of work left to be done for most teams. Canucks at least can go into their season comfortable with their line-up and ability to make in-season moves.

If WSH is going to be deep into LTIR (Backstrom, Oshie), does acquiring more LTIR help them at all (Poolman for example). Thinking about the Seabrook situation with TBL but my gut tells me that generally being in LTIR is bad and adding more doesn't help much.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Don't think Kaliyev is a fit here. If we're trying to exploit Blake, the guy I would be trying to pry out of LA is Jacob Moverare. He can be the supporting puck carrier to swap in with Forbort as needed, with some upside.

I also wonder if Montreal would be willing to give up one of their puck-movers. Obviously Hutson and Reinbacher are untouchables, and I want no part of Meilleux, but maybe Harris or Guhle...Damn the Habs are asset rich, lmao. Would also look at Heinola and Samberg in Winnipeg.

This would crater his asset value - I'd rather the team just move on, even if all you get is a pick. Could potentially see a contender with minimal cap room giving up a 2nd for him.
I don't know what value you think Hoglander has? He's a small, feisty winger that doesn't produce that much offense, doesn't have defensive utility, and doesn't PK. Look at the Holtz deal, that is probably the high-end of what Hoglander is returning. Any team can sign a similar player in Kailer Yamamoto for league minimum right now. No team is giving the Canucks a 2nd for him.

"Cratering his value" is probably more beneficial to the Canucks than anything, because they can get him on another cheap contract.

Another point: The team is in contention mode. It's not about asset-management mode. If Hoglander isn't one of their best six wingers (and I think this is the case now), he won't be in top-nine. The org's goal is not to manage his trade value. Maybe they can swap Hoglander for one of the lower-value defensemen you mentioned above (Harris or Heinola), but that's about it.

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I don't know what value you think Hoglander has? He's a small, feisty winger that doesn't produce that much offense, doesn't have defensive utility, and doesn't PK. Look at the Holtz deal, that is probably the high-end of what Hoglander is returning. Any team can sign a similar player in Kailer Yamamoto for league minimum right now. No team is giving the Canucks a 2nd for him.

"Cratering his value" is probably more beneficial to the Canucks than anything, because they can get him on another cheap contract.

Another point: The team is in contention mode. It's not about asset-management mode. If Hoglander isn't one of their six wingers (and I think this is the case now), he won't be in top-nine. The org's goal is not to manage his trade value. Maybe they can swap Hoglander for one of the lower-value defensemen you mentioned above (Harris or Heinola), but that's about it.

This is all fair, and yeah, I would definitely be dangling Hoglander as trade bait for a league minimum defenseman with upside.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

We were at our best when our fourth line was buzzing and Hoglander was ripping in some goals for us from there. I like that configuration.

I'm guessing you would keep Suter with Miller Boeser, and then Aman with Hoglander and Sherwood?

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
In one of the Athletic articles they were saying that internally the Canucks see even more potential with Sherwood potentially moving up the lineup given that his ES production/60 is insanely good, he has a good shot/speed, and has been one of the more prolific scorers in the AHL before finally cracking the NHL full time.

I like the idea of trying Debrusk/Sherwood with Pettersson, although both wingers might be a bit too straight-line and not cerebral enough?
Here's the amount of "cerebral" they'll need.

Petey should tell them; "get me the puck, head to the net, keep your f***ing stick on the ice and score when I put it right on your tape, if you can do that you dumb f***s we'll get along fine!"

• Haha
Reactions: Chiripa20

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
If WSH is going to be deep into LTIR (Backstrom, Oshie), does acquiring more LTIR help them at all (Poolman for example). Thinking about the Seabrook situation with TBL but my gut tells me that generally being in LTIR is bad and adding more doesn't

Adding LTIR salary only makes sense if you are shipping inefficient money out. Eg, when Tampa Bay added Seabrook's LTIR contract a few years back, it made sense because they had Tyler Johnson's anchor contract going the other way.

I don't really see any inefficient money on Washington's books they'd want to move. Maybe Ethan Bear? But that doesn't feel worth it for Vancouver.

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
If WSH is going to be deep into LTIR (Backstrom, Oshie), does acquiring more LTIR help them at all (Poolman for example). Thinking about the Seabrook situation with TBL but my gut tells me that generally being in LTIR is bad and adding more doesn't help much.
Can't imagine it being too much help unless you're getting assets. If you're for sure over by $5M, why not be $12M over and recoup some assets and weaponize that cap "space"

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Adding LTIR salary only makes sense if you are shipping inefficient money out. Eg, when Tampa Bay added Seabrook's LTIR contract a few years back, it made sense because they had Tyler Johnson's anchor contract going the other way.

I don't really see any inefficient money on Washington's books they'd want to move. Maybe Ethan Bear? But that doesn't feel worth it for Vancouver.

i don't think bear can be traded right now. isn't he in the player assistance program?

even if he could be traded he'd be an issue for vancouver if he returns (assuming they don't want to play him and i doubt tocchet or foote would really be interested given how little they used friedman) as his contract can't be completely buried and they couldn't even move him to ltir like they have the option to do with poolman

poolman being moved for bad money only really helps vancouver if they intend to use the player they get back and they can replace someone like desharnais or heinen that are making money comparable to poolman

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We were at our best when our fourth line was buzzing and Hoglander was ripping in some goals for us from there. I like that configuration.

I'm guessing you would keep Suter with Miller Boeser, and then Aman with Hoglander and Sherwood?
Yeah, I think Hoglander, for now, is more effective when his game is simple. He doesn't quite have the vision or IQ to get the most with Petey.

My preference is Suter - Miller - Boeser as that line was excellent. I don't expect Tocchet to run that though, and if does, it'll get shifted quickly.

I think Sherwood starts on the 4th line, so that would be my combination. But I also want to see Sherwood gets looks up the lineup (and he will at points).

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah, I think Hoglander, for now, is more effective when his game is simple. He doesn't quite have the vision or IQ to get the most with Petey.

My preference is Suter - Miller - Boeser as that line was excellent. I don't expect Tocchet to run that though, and if does, it'll get shifted quickly.

I think Sherwood starts on the 4th line, so that would be my combination. But I also want to see Sherwood gets looks up the lineup (and he will at points).

My only question is how high Joshua and Garland are pencilled up the line-up, or another way, how committed they are to run the Joshua-Blueger-Garland unit. There is an argument that they should be higher on the depth chart than Heinen and Suter. No clue what they'll do, but I expect some line testing in camp. Garland had some success with Pettersson when the Lindholm experiment on the second line was abandoned (and Lindholm was injured), before they went with the Joshua-Lindholm-Garland configuration.

I also think there will be some appetite to run Suter at centre, since the original plan was to run Suter/Blueger at 3/4C, and that gives you four NHL centres. Considering they tried to sign Lindholm, there is obviously a desire to run four deep at centre.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
This place in the offseason man..

Team once again can't score goals (predictably), solution? Trade our $1M young goal scorer, who was the best player on his line ALL YEAR, be it 4th or 2nd.

This is rebuild and trade Miller from 12 months ago all over again :facepalm:

tumblr_ad04c458e9cec972721a40d1d1c61f5b_ec861259_500.gif

Reactions: Nuck Bonino

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
My only question is how high Joshua and Garland are pencilled up the line-up, or another way, how committed they are to run the Joshua-Blueger-Garland unit. There is an argument that they should be higher on the depth chart than Heinen and Suter. No clue what they'll do, but I expect some line testing in camp. Garland had some success with Pettersson when the Lindholm experiment on the second line was abandoned (and Lindholm was injured), before they went with the Joshua-Lindholm-Garland configuration.

I also think there will be some appetite to run Suter at centre, since the original plan was to run Suter/Blueger at 3/4C, and that gives you four NHL centres. Considering they tried to sign Lindholm, there is obviously a desire to run four deep at centre.
I think the bolded is what will happen, given Tocc liking his "spine". As for the rest of the forward combos, I think they'll kinda be constantly mixed up, with most of the players in a tight TOI band except for Miller, Boeser, and Petey (at the high-end) and Hog/Podz (at the low end).

Think we may see something like this to start:

Heinen - Miller - Boeser (primary matchup line)
Debrusk - Petey - Sherwood (primary offensive line)
Joshua - Suter - Garland (we know this unit works too)
Hoglander - Blueger - PDG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad