Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Curious what the asking price would be for Laine I figure cbj is retaining the max possible on him. Doubt they trade for him due to his issue but he would be an intriguing player for tocc.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Do you really think that was important? and the Athletic disagrees

View attachment 891600

and Puckpedia

View attachment 891601

and CapFriendly

View attachment 891602

Literally everyone says exceed.

edit:

also everything you said is wrong, the cap hit isn't removed, you literally do exceed it, and you can't exceed the cap in the playoffs because there isn't one.
I mean you exceed it from the perspective of you have 2 players using the same cap hit.
I never said it was removed. Like for us, it’s not like we can just go ahead and sign players up to 88M and then use Poolman’s LTIR to get to 90.5. If we use Poolman’s LTIR, it still can’t go past 88. We technically exceed it because we have 2 players occupying that Poolman 2.5M contract but it’s functionally useless for us because Poolman will never return and even if he does, is useless.

He hated playing for a hopeless Jim Benning team more than he hated Vancouver, I'm pretty sure.

That said he's fallen off a cliff in the last year or two and I doubt we had any interest.
I dunno, if you have a bad experience somewhere, you are most likely not going to go back and give it another go, especially when there are other options.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I mean you exceed it from the perspective of you have 2 players using the same cap hit.
I never said it was removed. Like for us, it’s not like we can just go ahead and sign players up to 88M and then use Poolman’s LTIR to get to 90.5. If we use Poolman’s LTIR, it still can’t go past 88. We technically exceed it because we have 2 players occupying that Poolman 2.5M contract but it’s functionally useless for us because Poolman will never return and even if he does, is useless.

Read the second screen shot, you're just incorrect.

You don't overwrite the hit, you just go over by that much, aka exceeding, because Poolman still counts but you exceed it to replace him.

Last edited:

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Our penalty killing looks like it could leaps and bounds better, but not sure if the powerplay is going to be any better. Forbort and Desharnais will definitely help kill penalties. Maybe even Desharnais could give out some secrets on stopping the Oilers powerplay, but a puck moving defenseman on the backend would of been a nice addition to the lineup. In the playoffs the Canucks couldn't shoot the puck into the ocean on the powerplay. Not sure if the addition of Debrusk is going to bolster it all that much. Brannstrom was a nice cheap gamble for Colorado, hoping the Canucks can snatch a player like that for ourselves. I honestly would be happy with Schultz or Kylington on a cheap show me deal.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012

if we didn't even already know.

Friedman who I despise thinks that even if Guentzel was to hit free agency, Vancouver had no chance at signing him.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

lawrence

May 19, 2012
yeah, at least Schultz can helped out the powerplay?

also won a cup too. I can't see him not being useful at all.
So after the smoke clears on July 1st, 'in' are DeBrusk, Heinen, Sherwood, Forbort and Desharnais; and 'out' are Lindholm, Zadorov, Cole, Lafferty and DeSmith

If the Bruins end up getting the 'playoff versions' of Lindholm and Zadorov, then clearly the Canucks have taken a small step back. But of course just how those guys will perform in Boston is a great unknown.

But most experts agree that with other teams out there offering crazy, stupid money and term to guys in their 30's, the Canucks spent 'wisely'. They replaced their starting blueline depth; and added more size and physicality at the bottom of their lineup.

And in goal; they end up replacing DeSmith with like Silovs, which basically already happened in the playoffs. And they signed Jiri Patera for goaltending depth in the minors.

Looking around the league, other teams excited the UFA Frenzy Day 'talking heads' with some sexy signings. But the Canucks UFA day might have been the most underrated in the entire league.
Its gonna be fun seeing him bully the maple laffs granted I didn't like he went to Boston.

Pacific Canuck

Oct 26, 2017
Defensive Depth = having a 6-4 defender to insert into the lineup when your 6-6 defender gets a 1 game suspension for crosschecking mcdavid in the teeth in the playoffs.....

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Read the second screen shot, you're just incorrect.

You don't overwrite the hit, you just go over by that much, aka exceeding, because Poolman still counts but you exceed it to replace him.
Yeah that’s what I am saying, you “exceed” it from a technicality because you still have 2 players making that hit. But it’s useless unless you have a guy like Kucherov who can come back in the playoffs and you get a 8M guy to replace him in the regular season.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

if we didn't even already know.

Friedman who I despise thinks that even if Guentzel was to hit free agency, Vancouver had no chance at signing him.

Drance said something similar, that the team was always in on DeBrusk and used Guentzel as a smoke screen

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Kylington is 27 and has had one serviceable season in his career, in which his partner was Chris Tanev.

I'm far from convinced he's any sort of positive asset.

Not at the apparent price (he wants term and a slight raise) but on a show me deal of 1y/1.1m, I’d be all over it.

But at this point, I’d rather spend any remaining cap space on a true defensive upgrade.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Yeah that’s what I am saying, you “exceed” it from a technicality because you still have 2 players making that hit. But it’s useless unless you have a guy like Kucherov who can come back in the playoffs and you get a 8M guy to replace him in the regular season.

You don't "exceed" it, you exceed it.

You don't have two players making that hit, you're allowed to spend that much over the cap. This is called exceeding the cap.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm kinda surprised, someone like Patrik Kane is just signing 1 year deal after 1 year deal. Stamkos went for a 4 year deal, its hard to imagine nobody offered him anything signinficatnt

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I'm kinda surprised, someone like Patrik Kane is just signing 1 year deal after 1 year deal. Stamkos went for a 4 year deal, its hard to imagine nobody offered him anything signinficatnt
Kane just seems like someone who takes pride in his play. If his play tanks then he will retire...

Stamkos will likely try to keep going no matter what.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You don't "exceed" it, you exceed it.

You don't have two players making that hit, you're allowed to spend that much over the cap. This is called exceeding the cap.
Sure, we exceed it but it’s guess the original convo was about how we can use it. I think normal cap can accrue but LTIR is basically you can use that amount as is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad