Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

olafsson

Jun 18, 2017
Calgary, AB
Been updating my spreadsheet before CapFriendly goes dark and discovered that the Oilers are nearly 2.5m over the cap with 22/23 contracts. They haven't signed Broberg or Holloway. I have no idea what they are planning over there.

Nugent-Hopkins-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Henrique-McLeod-Skinner
Janmark-Ryan-Perry
Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Brown
Stecher

Skinner
Pickard

22/23

-2.45m

Holloway and Broberg are projected at around 2m total but that's put them at -4.33m.
Somebody better bend this team over a barrel with no lube during a trade. No favours to Edmonton

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Given the premiums teams are placing on these guys, I think Allvin did well with the Forbort and Desharnais acquisitions. Are they actually worse than Edmundson and Boosh getting twice the pay? I don't think so.

And a guy like Desharnais actually has some plausible upside. Whereas Boosh or Edmundson, you're pretty much staring at a downhill slope in terms of performance, with essentially no chance of unexpected upside.

I think Allvin had the best day of any GM on July 1st. Creative and shrewd signings. No landmines. Still has cap space.

Yeah the writing was sort of on the wall when you saw the Dillon, Edmunson and Cole contracts. They needed the extra space to allocate to forward so were looking for defensemen in the $1.5-$2M range. Given that constraint, and the signing of DeBrusk, I think they did really well. Forbort was a value signing coming off injury, so they must think he's healthy, and with Desharnais the coaching staff obviously sees something (I think they're looking at him on the second pair, personally).

This premium on these guys sounds like it's connected to how they're coaching defense these days (based on Drance's article). It seems you put more responsibility on the forwards overloading support and taking the main responsibility for carrying/moving the puck up ice. The role of these big blue liners is to seal off the centre of the ice and get the puck to the boards for the forwards to win. I suspect this may be popular across the league based on the premium teams are putting on big defenders with wing-span who can seal off the centre and cross-ice stuff. The issue, as we saw in the playoffs, is you're a bit more susceptible off the rush with these guys, but if you can force dump and/or cycle you will bury teams with the size. Then you have speedy wingers on support that can win the battle and move the puck quickly up ice.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah the writing was sort of the wall when you saw the Dillon, Edmunson and Cole contracts. They needed the extra space to allocate to forward so were looking for defensemen in the $1.5-$2M range. Given that constraint, and the signing of DeBrusk, I think they did really well. Forbort was a value signing coming off injury, so they must think he's healthy, and with Desharnais the coaching staff obviously sees something (I think they're looking at him on the second pair, personally).

This premium on these guys sounds like it's connected to how they're coaching defense these days (based on Drance's article). It seems you put more responsibility on the forwards overloading support and taking the main responsibility for carrying/moving the puck up ice. The role of these big blue liners is to seal off the centre of the ice and get the puck to the boards for the forwards to win. I suspect this may be popular across the league based on the premium teams are putting on big defenders with wing-span who can seal off the centre and cross-ice stuff. The issue, as we saw in the playoffs, is you're a bit more susceptible off the rush with these guys, but if you can force dump and/or cycle you will bury teams with the size.
Good puck movers that can defend is expensive.
For what we want to spend, it will either be bad defensively or bad offensively. I don’t think it’s acceptable for this coaching staff to get guys who are not good defensively.
If you want guys who can defend and move the puck at a reasonable price, that will have to come internally.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Good puck movers that can defend is expensive.
For what we want to spend, it will either be bad defensively or bad offensively. I don’t think it’s acceptable for this coaching staff to get guys who are not good defensively.
If you want guys who can defend and move the puck at a reasonable price, that will have to come internally.

Yeah those are basically top-three defensemen by definition, and are costing you $5M+. They've pretty much admitted it's a system thing, and to be honest, I don't think they're all that concerned about getting a puck-mover on defense, though I'm sure they'd like one. Seems the way Tocchet's system works you don't necessarily need them in the bottom four as long as you have enough speedy wingers.

Reactions: arttk

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
He hated playing for a hopeless Jim Benning team more than he hated Vancouver, I'm pretty sure.

That said he's fallen off a cliff in the last year or two and I doubt we had any interest.

Hopeless? Preposterous!

Do you think we should give oqvist a shot?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah those are basically top-three defensemen by definition, and are costing you $5M+. They've pretty much admitted it's a system thing, and to be honest, I don't think they're all that concerned about getting a puck-mover on defense, though I'm sure they'd like one. Seems the way Tocchet's system works you don't necessarily need them in the bottom four as long as you have enough speedy wingers.
I wonder what changes they will make to the system, he did talk about how the coaching staff is looking into ways to get more offense. Not sure how we will do that without giving up more rush chances against.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
just allows you to surpass the salary cap by that amount
You don’t really surpass the salary cap… you still need to be cap compliant. LTIR just lets you have 2 players for that cap amount while one of them is injured. You can only exceed it in the playoffs.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yeah the writing was sort of on the wall when you saw the Dillon, Edmunson and Cole contracts. They needed the extra space to allocate to forward so were looking for defensemen in the $1.5-$2M range. Given that constraint, and the signing of DeBrusk, I think they did really well. Forbort was a value signing coming off injury, so they must think he's healthy, and with Desharnais the coaching staff obviously sees something (I think they're looking at him on the second pair, personally).

This premium on these guys sounds like it's connected to how they're coaching defense these days (based on Drance's article). It seems you put more responsibility on the forwards overloading support and taking the main responsibility for carrying/moving the puck up ice. The role of these big blue liners is to seal off the centre of the ice and get the puck to the boards for the forwards to win. I suspect this may be popular across the league based on the premium teams are putting on big defenders with wing-span who can seal off the centre and cross-ice stuff. The issue, as we saw in the playoffs, is you're a bit more susceptible off the rush with these guys, but if you can force dump and/or cycle you will bury teams with the size. Then you have speedy wingers on support that can win the battle and move the puck quickly up ice.
Yeah, they found guys similar to what other teams are paying a premium on, for a discount. And they likely think they can fit into their system well.

Re: the bolded, IIRC reading an article by one of the then-blogger-now-NHL-team-analysts that forwards have a higher relative impact on the team's overall performance than forwards (intuitively makes sense, there are more forwards on the ice at all times). The conclusion of the piece was that it was better to have a stronger overall forward group, even if at the expense of the blueline. At the time, the cup-winning Pens kinda embodied that.

You also see it with the Panthers system. Most of the neutral zone burden and forechecking is on the forwards to chase pucks hard, pressure the opposition, and then funnel them into their "surfing" Ds for breakups (most of their D being pretty large as well). This is pretty similar to what the Canucks are trying to accomplish in their NZ forecheck. On DZ exits, the Panthers also don't put much burden on their D to make clean possession exits. They let them flip/rim pucks out and have the forwards contest up-ice. Again, quite similar to the Canucks (and why the Canucks don't have much of a rush game). Allvin/Tocc probably don't see the puck-moving limitations of the new guys as much of a liability, considering their system doesn't ask them to do it a ton.

Reactions: Britton and TruGr1t

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You don’t really surpass the salary cap… you still need to be cap compliant. LTIR just lets you have 2 players for that cap amount while one of them is injured. You can only exceed it in the playoffs.

Do you really think that was important? and the Athletic disagrees

1719963988596.png

and Puckpedia

1719964019816.png

and CapFriendly

1719964064391.png

Literally everyone says exceed.

edit:

also everything you said is wrong, the cap hit isn't removed, you literally do exceed it, and you can't exceed the cap in the playoffs because there isn't one.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
More interested in Schultz than Schmidt all things being near equitable

Schultz is a name that wouldn't surprise me since he's coming off a tough season and could come cheap. I doubt he's looking for a part-time role, which he'd likely have here, but maybe later in the off-season if he's still hanging around. He's a player I could see some cap-floor team overpaying for, though, based on stats.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Been updating my spreadsheet before CapFriendly goes dark and discovered that the Oilers are nearly 2.5m over the cap with 22/23 contracts. They haven't signed Broberg or Holloway. I have no idea what they are planning over there.

Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Henrique-McLeod-Skinner
Janmark-Ryan-Perry
Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Brown
Stecher

Skinner
Pickard

22/23

-2.45m

Holloway and Broberg are projected at around 2m total but that's put them at -4.33m.
Assume they know Kane will be LTIR for at least a chunk of the season.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Henrique-McLeod-Skinner
Janmark-Ryan-Perry
Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Brown
Stecher

Skinner
Pickard

22/23

-2.45m

It's because of stuff like this that I'd have preferred the Canucks hadn't signed Desharnais and, rather, just waited to see what would shake out. Eventually some remaining free agents will be desperate for a spot, and some teams will be desperate to get out of a cap crunch. It'd be handy at that moment to be an organization with cap space.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Would love to sign Kylington on a one year show me deal. Very good defenseman who can move the puck up the ice. Could be a decent project.

He's apparently looking for a two-year deal at a "slight bump" in salary from his last contract, which was at $2.5M AAV. We'll see if that price comes down.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
From watching Zadorov’s interview when he signed with Boston and watching Friedman’s interview - it seems like the Canucks and Toronto both put offers July 1st but Boston was the team that finally matched Zadorovs number at 5M. Zadorov really had a tough decision, think he really wanted to stay.

This makes me feel better - I thought all discussions stopped once PA went out publicly that he would be hitting July 1. I still would have gave him the 5M and not sign the other two defenders and dipped into LTIR. Then use Juulsen/Friedman at your 6-7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad