Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012

It increasingly feels like the Canucks got an absolute steal in the Mikheyev cap dump.

Yup. I never saw Joseph as a cap dump - pretty good 3rd liner and PKer. Ottawa is just a dumpster fire - run by WallStreetBets bros or something. Buy high on Debrincat and Chychrun and sell so god damn low on them. So much talent there and they fumble hard.

Reactions: timw33 and Vector

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
so is juulsen still in the canuck's plans? signing friedman and desharnais is not definitive but certainly not an endorsement.

i had a feeling at the time that the goal juulsen caused against the oilers might have killed his canuck career. one of those plays that is so important and so dumb and badly timed and typical of your particular weakness as a player that it finishes you in an organization.

if they add a left hand depth dman more credible than friedman i'd say it is official.

I think he'll play the same role as last year - #7 D-man.

I don't think the Friedman signing changes much. I think the coaching staff made it pretty clear last year that they prefer Juulsen over him. Friedman will likely spend a lot of time in Abby.

i have a feeling Mcward is gonna be on the team this year.

AFAIK he wasn't anything special in the AHL so it'd be a pretty big jump for him to make the team.

Reactions: Nick Lang

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
At the expense of who? They already have 10 defencemen signed to one-way contracts and 11 that require waivers.
Someone is really going to have to blatantly win a spot for the Canucks to put a player on waivers that they wouldn't need too.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
McWard was at best a #4 AHL defenceman last season.

I think he'll play the same role as last year - #7 D-man.

I don't think the Friedman signing changes much. I think the coaching staff made it pretty clear last year that they prefer Juulsen over him. Friedman will likely spend a lot of time in Abby.

AFAIK he wasn't anything special in the AHL so it'd be a pretty big jump for him to make the team.
Just based on them always bringing his name up

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I know some here prefer not to list Canucks rumours from X on the rumour message board but here you go:

1719948556203.png

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Signings:
-Canucks did a good job of keeping quiet
-Western Canada really appealed to DeBrusk
-thought DeBrusk would end up in Seattle
-Patera was thrown into weird spots and gave them everything he could

Guentzel:
-doesn't think he would have ended up in Vancouver
-the reason he didn't stay in Carolina was because he heard about Tampa's interest

Tanev:
-was the Maple Leafs #1 target
-wanted to trade for Tanev and Zadorov last year
-Maple Leafs strategy was always to offer him a 6 year deal

Mathieu Joseph:
-breaks the trade live
-ends the interview

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
That was a weird article because it said that if Guentzel hit UFA they would have made it work to sign him but also that Debrusk was their top priority ... and both can't be true.

It seems like their #1 priority was Guentzel but that they liked their Plan B (Debrusk) enough that they were comfortable not over-committing for their Plan A.

I think they correctly recognized that Guentzel was a long shot so they were mainly focused on Debrusk. If Guentzel or Reinhart dropped into their lap I'm sure they wouldn't complain but Debrusk was the main target that they considered achievable.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
in Drance's latest article, apparently their Guentzal interest was all a smoke screen and DeBrusk was their true target all along.

Cites that they were really uncomfortable with their ability to meaningly do other things on the roster with a 9.25million caphit taking up resources

It's a fair conclusion to come to and I certainty see how DeBrusk at a more reasonable caphit fits in to their team concept instead...

but don't play with my heart like that!

in the end i think both stamkos and reinhart made more sense as big signings due to being right handed centres who would/could play the wing. guentzel i assumed was an obsession for management based on the pens history. i was only interested if they wanted him.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Canucks can do an offersheet in the $2.29M to $4.58M range. Compensation due would be a 2nd rounder. Wonder what price would would put Ottawa into potentially not matching. Their cap situation is now a bit improved with the Joseph trade though.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
sidebar but we really underestimate the free agent part of free agency in our discussions. these guys choose where they go and they are unlikely to engage with a team that is not a target. the outcome of yesterday suggests canucks are not a top tier ufa draw but are in the game without overpaying. which is progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad