Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Just a note. I said at the time that the Lindholm would be outrageous overpayment unless we were able to re-sign him. of course, we would still have Kuzmenko unless we were able to trade him, but we would have brewski, a 1st round pick etc.

Mind you, we might not have won a playoff round without him, but so what.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
in Drance's latest article, apparently their Guentzal interest was all a smoke screen and DeBrusk was their true target all along.

Cites that they were really uncomfortable with their ability to meaningly do other things on the roster with a 9.25million caphit taking up resources

It's a fair conclusion to come to and I certainty see how DeBrusk at a more reasonable caphit fits in to their team concept instead...

but don't play with my heart like that!

To be more specific, they would have taken a shot on Guentzel if he made it to market, but weren't going to trade for his rights, and were worried about fitting a $9M+ cap player into their broader strategy. They prioritized DeBrusk due to his age, lower cap hit, and general overall fit into the roster they were building.

I think they had every intention of making an offer to Guentzel if he made it that far. I do wonder if Garland or someone may have been a cap casualty on that route.

Reactions: aregora

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
A day later I find I'm generally ok with the outcome on July 1st. They have way more depth up front, more offensive (still need high end winger but they are better), faster and more physical. Lindholm was elite defensively. Time will tell whether they are as good defensively as a group of forwards.
They should be better on the PK.

Was a little surprised that they didn't spend some of the cap on a more skilled top 4 D-man. Their biggest weakness is at the 3/4 slots on D. It's been said by all the pundits but, if they could add a top 4 puck mover, things would look a lot better. instead it looks like they re-upped Myers to play in the top 4 (not ideal) and signed a few short term depth guys. Almost makes you wonder whether they think Willander and D-Petey are closer than we realize...

Edit: wanted to add that it would be hiliarious to see the look on Lekkerimaki's face when he walks into the dressing room and sees Soucey, Myers, Forborg, and Desharnais stadning in front of him. Collectively average 6'5" 215lbs!

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Weird to think because we replaced
Kuzmenko with Debrusk .49 to .50
Mikheyev with Heinen .40 to .49
Lafferty with Sherwood .30 to .40
I think the lines work better. It feels a bit like the team that started the year at the top of the league last year.

Not just a slight uptake in regular season scoring, 3 can produce in crunch time and in the playoffs, the other 3 simply can’t. DeBrusk led the Bruins in playoff scoring, a Bruins team that took the Panthers to a hard fought 7 games and DeBrusk out produced superstars Pastrnak & Marchand, whereas Nils Aman & Linus Karlsson where an upgrade for us over Lafferty & Milheyev. 1 goal in 62 games playing in the top 6, how is that even possible!?? Lol

Reactions: ziploc

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
in Drance's latest article, apparently their Guentzal interest was all a smoke screen and DeBrusk was their true target all along.

Cites that they were really uncomfortable with their ability to meaningly do other things on the roster with a 9.25million caphit taking up resources

It's a fair conclusion to come to and I certainty see how DeBrusk at a more reasonable caphit fits in to their team concept instead...

This seems like a complete media spin given how things played out.

They absolutely would have made a major run at Guentzel if he hit the market. He's a top line, 40 g winger with a proven track record in the regular season and playoffs.

But I do believe they legitimately had DeBrusk as plan B and thankfully they had plenty of time to switch gears.

Most had mentioned Alberta as a landing spot for him so coming to Van made sense.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so is juulsen still in the canuck's plans? signing friedman and desharnais is not definitive but certainly not an endorsement.

i had a feeling at the time that the goal juulsen caused against the oilers might have killed his canuck career. one of those plays that is so important and so dumb and badly timed and typical of your particular weakness as a player that it finishes you in an organization.

if they add a left hand depth dman more credible than friedman i'd say it is official.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Not just a slight uptake in regular season scoring, 3 can produce in crunch time and in the playoffs, the other 3 simply can’t. DeBrusk led the Bruins in playoff scoring, a Bruins team that took the Panthers to a hard fought 7 games and DeBrusk out produced superstars Pastrnak & Marchand, whereas Nils Aman & Linus Karlsson where an upgrade for us over Lafferty & Milheyev. 1 goal in 62 games playing in the top 6, how is that even possible!?? Lol
Tdl management knew they needed to get Petey a winger and instead traded away his half decent winger. Hope that Karlsson and Bains can improve after their cup of tea's last season. Valuable to have decent replacements that don't need waivers.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
so is juulsen still in the canuck's plans? signing friedman and desharnais is not definitive but certainly not an endorsement.

i had a feeling at the time that the goal juulsen caused against the oilers might have killed his canuck career. one of those plays that is so important and so dumb and badly timed and typical of your particular weakness as a player that it finishes you in an organization.

if they add a left hand depth dman more credible than friedman i'd say it is official.

I think it's pretty obvious they view him as, at best, a #7. Bringing in Desharnais basically put him in direct competition with Juulsen. Friedman is just cheap depth that can play both sides, and has even taken some shifts at forward in a pinch.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
I don't understand how anyone can rationalize the Nucks July 1 as good in any way.

Ok? Passable? Understandable given circumstances? Sure. But not good.

They clearly had their money allocated for Guentzel. But that went out the window when Tbay traded for his rights.

I'm fine with DeBrusk. I don't like the term but I get that they had to do it to keep the AAV as low as possible. But I would have expected more upfront if they were allocating say $9.5M for Guentzel and turn that into DeBrusk ($5.5M) and Arvidsson ($4M). Team needs actual goal scorers. This was evident in the playoffs. DeBrusk is more of a "puts in a shift and goes to the right areas" rather than a pure scorer.

So from that perspective, they still need another goal scoring winger in the Top 6.

On defense, they have gone backwards. No way you can have an older Myers in your Top 4 no matter how he played last year. They need another Top 4 dman and preferably RHD.

I assume they had interest in Tanev, but much like the TDL, the price did not make sense. So they pivoted and went for depth instead.

But the backend is not good. People can state the Oilers backend sucks but they have the horses upfront to compensate for it. Nucks don't, especially if Demko continues to be plagued by injuries.

People state we can make trades. What are we trading exactly to acquire what this team needs? Willander and Lekk aren't going anywhere. Can't see them trading their 2025 1st right now either. So you have Hoglander, Pod and maybe Garland. Hoglander's contract makes him more valuable to the Nucks than other teams, Pod won't have much value at all and removing Garland creates a further hole upfront.

So I just don't see it.

And then the comments of "we will just pick up a player at the TDL"? Jesus. That's literally 8-9 months away. You cannot expect this team to play the way they did to start last season. What if they play the way they did in the 2nd half? You're screwed.

So as much as it was fine to do what they did to focus on depth after the Guentzel option disappeared, this team still needs more quality. Right now they have focused on quantity over quality and that will only get you so far.

Team is still a playoff team but they aren't close to contenders atm.
I agree with what you are saying.When I look at this team there are to many what if,s.Does Petty come back better and stronger!Does Boeser score another 40 or is he injurie riddled all year.Do we have enough fire power.Can our power play get any better or is it trash.To me there are still alot of question marks.But we have time to tweek
this team...let's see what happens.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

That was a weird article because it said that if Guentzel hit UFA they would have made it work to sign him but also that Debrusk was their top priority ... and both can't be true.

It seems like their #1 priority was Guentzel but that they liked their Plan B (Debrusk) enough that they were comfortable not over-committing for their Plan A.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

I think they are structuring the team in a way that it forces bubble guys (Aman, PDG, Podkolzin, Juulsen, Friedman) to fight like hell for their career. No gimmies. Better come to camp in the best shape of your life and be ready to compete.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Juulsen is signed for this season. I assume that he and Friedman will compete for the 4th RD slot; loser goes to Abbotsford.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Heinen-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Hoglander
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Sherwood-Suter-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Desharnais

Demko
Silovs

Depth wise overall it looks good, you can easily argue the defense is worse but hopefully Foote can teach Desharnais and Forbot some better puck skills, but unlikely. Upfront the forwards are definitely deeper and will fit Tocchets system hopefully there's enough skill there to score more goals than the other team. But I think it's easy to see that the offense likely dies with the bottom 4 d. So if that's the defense we run we're likely looking at low scoring games.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
All three are also as good/better defensively, and bring speed and hitting as well. Mikh was obviously speedy, and Lafferty had wheels and could hit, but I certainly prefer our forward groupings now.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
That was a weird article because it said that if Guentzel hit UFA they would have made it work to sign him but also that Debrusk was their top priority ... and both can't be true.

It seems like their #1 priority was Guentzel but that they liked their Plan B (Debrusk) enough that they were comfortable not over-committing for their Plan A.
that's probably closer to reality. hopeful but not confident enough to overcommit.

and you know, tampering is a reality, they had probably a much better indication of that Guentzal was a long shot far longer than we did. Probably even before Tampa cleared cap space.

Reactions: racerjoe and Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad