Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
That's a stinker before the ink is dry.

Certainly makes me feel better about Debrusk at 5.5MM for the next few years, Olofsson is just a complete 5 on 5 sink offensively and defensively, doesn't drive the play at all, buttery soft.

Vegas doesn't want Marchessault at 5.5 (yes, the term thing) but happy to give 4.75MM to a much, much worse player?

Edit: Report of Olofsson 4.75MM completely wrong, was a misread tweet.

Last edited:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Ooooop sorry folks I may have jumped the gun on Olofsson skimming the tweet it for some reason references his LAST contract that just lapsed, which is an insane thing to add into your tweet about a player signing.

Reading below I think you'll see why I was confused just browsing the timeline

So he's getting more money?

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Had some time to think and process all the moves from yesterday. Some preliminary thoughts:

The ES scoring potential of the forward group is amazing. I don't quite understand how we were able to pick up Heinen and Sherwood given some of the stupid money that was handed out yesterday. While the term on DeBrusk scares me, his ES scoring profile, along with his style of play, fits the mold of what Tocchet wants out of his forward group. There's 11 guys on this roster who put up pro-rated 30 ES points/82 last season in similar minutes to what they'd expect to play this season - that is absurd.

On the flipside, they're taking a gamble on DeBrusk being able to play PP1, a unit that's struggled since Kuzmenko left (his ability to make the right play to let the other 4 do their thing was severely underrated). He has filled the bumper role in Boston, but often on PP2. He also doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to be cerebral enough to play the fluid/positionless style Tocchet is pushing for in that 1st unit. Will be interesting to see how Tocchet adapts to his personel here.

I'm not sure what in the world is going on with the bottom 4. For all the scoring upside we have at ES, it could be severely stunted by a lack of a secondary puckmover. You could split Hughes and Hronek, but sacrificing your elite pairing because you wanted Forbert/Vinny over a Brannstrom is...interesting. My guess is they see its not working 10-15 games into the season and flip a 3rd-5th round pick in exchange for this kind of player (similar to what happened with Big Z), or make a waiver wire claim.

The upside of those acquisitions is that the PK should continue to improve. People forget that even with the upgrades last season, it wasn't until the halfway point that we really got out of the bottom 10 in the league. The forward acquisitions are equally as important as the ones on d here - we really shouldn't be seeing JT Miller play significant PK time like he was at the beginning of last year.

As of right now I think the team should be fighting for 2nd/3rd in the division. Edmonton is in the last year of their Bouchard/Drai sweetheart deal window, and barring a hangover/hoard of injuries (very possible given the type of player they acquired and how much hockey the played this year) looks like the team to beat in the division with their savvy winger acquisitions. Vegas should be healthier next season, but the rest of the division looks to have taken a big step back.

Would not be surprised to see Hoglander dangled with picks/prospects at the deadline for a big-time forward or dman acquisition to push the team deeper into contender status.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Even if Debrusk maintains his inconsistency he's had over his career he's still a solid player at 5.5M. He's a lock for 20G, he PK's and he plays well defensively. The added bonus is we can strap him to either Pettersson and Miller and hopefully unlock a new gear. It's such a great signing. As the CAP continues to climb over the next 7 years that % of his CAP hit will keep reducing - I think it's getting overlooked how cheap 5.5 is for this player.

Also enamored with the depth fwd signings of Sherwood and Heinen. Heinen has shown he can slot in the top 6 and be a complimentary winger- an upgraded Suter. And Sherwood has a ton of upside and bite in his game.

Overall we haven't had offensive punch like this since 2011. There's a ton of versatility and depth. Love that.

Not a big fan of our blueline. Size is obviously our advantage but puck moving worries me. They must have plans to add a top 4 dman at the deadline.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
24-25 schedule is out

GRfoENKXUAAiMwS
GRfoENvb0AEzAnv

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not even considering the 7 pieces your Vancouver Canucks gave up to acquire them to play around 60 games total, they let 2 players go that are better than the ones they signed.

Forget the fact they went to their arch rivals who were Cup contenders even before their signings, if you view it as a trade, Boston got the best players and the Canucks got the most bodies.

How do trades like this usually turn out.
There’s a thing called the salary cap.

Glad big Z got his payday,and he will be a great addition..That Lindholm deal is a wildcard,he could be the next Louie Eriksson (especially given last year’s regular season he had..dismal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad