Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
For anyone that knows cap stuff, will we be below the cap to start the season?

That's with Poolman not on LTIR so we can accrue cap space.

Right now CapFriendly has us at 535k over and it'll be closer to 800k over once Silovs is signed and Patera's money is sent down.

14 forwards and 8 D-men, so once one of these extra skaters is sent down, we should be just barely under the cap?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hate to say it, but I could definitely see Edmonton going all the way next year. Not sure who I see in the West taking them out. Maybe Dallas in a rematch?
They could. But I think a lot of things broke right for them this year and they got on a roll. Goaltending and D still look really suspect.
It’s just not reasonable to expect McDrai to put up those kind of numbers every playoffs.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I still have some suspicions that Garland and/or Hoglander get moved to create space for a PMD.

Can't see Garland being moved at this point considering the offense he produced (and helped produce) last season. Signing Debrusk doesn't make him expendable as we were short on good forwards to begin with.

Hoglander definitely would be in play, though.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
So Carolina looks like an interesting situation right now. Roughly $18.5MM in key RFA contracts to sign (AFP estimates) and a lot less cap space available than that (~$12.5MM). Hard to imagine Necas returning.
I think the Canucks should still go after necas, with a couple moves I think they could fit him long term. Him or buchnevich would look really good next to Petey and debrusk

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Can't see Garland being moved at this point considering the offense he produced (and helped produce) last season. Signing Debrusk doesn't make him expendable as we were short on good forwards to begin with.

I think they'll start largely like this but probably add another cheap-ish UFA defenseman. I could see something like this happening in-season though.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Buch would be the ideal top 6 addition, high skill, good motor, and not easy play against.

Hard to see us landing him without sending Lekk back the other way though. Maybe the 1st and some other pieces?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
At this point I don’t think they are actively seeking to trade Garland or Hoglander—but they are the most clear trade chips on the team should they decide to go fishing for a meaningful forward or defense upgrade this season.

The Heinen signing gives them a ton of flexibility to tinker with the forward lines.

Reactions: oceanchild

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
For anyone that knows cap stuff, will we be below the cap to start the season?

That's with Poolman not on LTIR so we can accrue cap space.

Right now CapFriendly has us at 535k over and it'll be closer to 800k over once Silovs is signed and Patera's money is sent down.

14 forwards and 8 D-men, so once one of these extra skaters is sent down, we should be just barely under the cap?

Right now after all our signings we have $240,833 in capspace without Poolman on LTIR and that's with 14 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 1 goalie.

Once we put Poolman on LTIR we gain $2,740,833 and we still need to resign Silovs.

If we decide to go with 12 skaters, and 6 defenseman and say Silovs resigns for 1.5 million we should roughly have 4.3 million to play with (and if they decide to send down Desharnais, it should go up to 5.4 million)

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Does the cap not apply to us???

The team has about 6m in space realistically.

The team is using 600k of LTIR with a 24 person roster, when one player gets sent down we'll be cap compliant with no LTIR and the team can accrue space as the year goes on.

Making a trade to add a forward would also remove a forward from the roster, adding another 1m in cap space, if they run a 22 person roster it'll add another million. If they go above the cap using LTIR that's another 2.5.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The team has about 6m in space realistically.

The team is using 600k of LTIR with a 24 person roster, when one player gets sent down we'll be cap compliant with no LTIR and the team can accrue space as the year goes on.

Making a trade to add a forward would also remove a forward from the roster, adding another 1m in cap space, if they run a 22 person roster it'll add another million. If they go above the cap using LTIR that's another 2.5.
How are you getting 6M from this? This already factors in the LTIR space and no backup goalie

cap space no backup.png

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

Hoglander's salary doesn't move the needle all that much though. Maybe both Hoglander and Podz getting moved?

I like Garland a lot, but the D is in some trouble at this point and I think they may look to move off his salary. Not sure what the other options are to be honest.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Hoglander's salary doesn't move the needle all that much though.

It doesn't but if you trade Garland you're just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I think they'll start the season pretty much as is, build cap space, and then make a trade during the season to address whatever needs arise.

I think they know themselves that this isn't a Stanley Cup D-core as currently constructed.

Reactions: quat and CanucksMJL

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
To Mon - Vasili Podkolzin, Tucker Poolman
To Van - Jordan Harris, Van 3rd (pearson)

To Nas - Nils Hoglander
To Van - Colton Sissons, 2025 1st (later one)

Debrusk - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki
Heinen - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Sherwood - Suter - Sissons (rh faceoffs)

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Forbort - Juulsen
Harris - Desharnais

Demko, Silovs

Shuttle Lekkerimaki and Silovs down for Karlsson and Patera on offdays and homestands for 500k cap bank per day.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
To Mon - Vasili Podkolzin, Tucker Poolman
To Van - Jordan Harris, Van 3rd (pearson)

To Nas - Nils Hoglander
To Van - Colton Sissons, 2025 1st (later one)

Debrusk - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki
Heinen - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Sherwood - Suter - Sissons (rh faceoffs)

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Forbort - Juulsen
Harris - Desharnais

Demko, Silovs

Shuttle Lekkerimaki and Silovs down for Karlsson and Patera on offdays and homestands for 500k cap bank per day.

Penciling in Lekk already is a sure fire way to rush and destroy his development and confidence.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if they use ltir canucks can add a player worth about $3.3m but that assumes they don't give silovs a raise.

or they can boost the cap a little for the tdl by trying to accrue but it will not be much. with a full roster it would only add about $250k in cap by the tdl. they have no waiver eligible skaters likely to make the squad though so running a 22 man roster to increase accrual would require risking depth guys on waivers.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I think the Canucks should still go after necas, with a couple moves I think they could fit him long term. Him or buchnevich would look really good next to Petey and debrusk
The only contract big enough and movable is Garland and I'd be more than a little hesitant to pull the trigger on that. But Necas has tools that are awfully intriguing and I can't help but wonder if the system in Carolina might be holding him back.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Really didn't like the Desharnais contract - just seems like a waste of $2 million but hey, maybe he proves me wrong. They need some more puck movement back there. Really would've preferred they grab someone like Joseph and/or Boqvist - maybe they do that for cheap. Alternatively, they could take on a contract or make a play for an under the radar RHD with the cap they have. Running 13 forwards, 7 D and 2 G with Poolman on LTIR and there should be roughly $3.5 million to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad