Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | These Little Piggies Are Not Going To The Market…

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I like this

Joshua-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Petterson-Garland

DeBrusk also plays both sides to Joshua-Pettersson-DeBrusk could give Pettey a couple big boys.
I think fans forget this team was high scoring and still 27th, it was the huge improvement, essentially 5 of 6 defence spots being replaced that moved the team from 28th worst in GA to 5th best in GA.
The Canucks should never have put all their chips in to try to get Guentzel, they should have been looking to set up for a trade.

What would Rosolvic wanted? 2.5 -3 mil? Bigger, plays center or wing playoff experience. Still unsigned so his phone wasn't ringing off the hook?

It looks like they had blinders on and ignored improving the team and securing some of the future using term for quality players. Taking them past the next two years excuse to do nothing of OEL buyout doubling.

What if DeBrusk doesn't score or isn't able to play with Pettersson?

Frustration, "fans are idiots, they can't know what we know" ya right! If we knew maybe we wouldn't buy tickets. Keep them in the dark and cover them with shat.

Maybe a little more than frustration.

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I love Zadorov but there is absolutely no way you can justify paying your 3rd LD 5 mil a year.

Some of you guys gotta take off the rose coloured glasses. It was a good day for us - sensible signings and staying away from some of the bad contracts handed out.
I don't really see it this way though, with Soucy and Zadorov you have two guys who can anchor pairings and basically you can platoon these pairings at 18 minutes each and keep Hughes under 25. On paper it would look like a 3D scenario but he wouldnt be

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
The signings aren't as bad as I thought. It seems they're focused on guys who'll do well in the playoffs and Tocchet will like. Need to upgrade RD though. It's not nearly good enough.

Reactions: ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Not on paper though - last year they had Mikheyev who still looked like a similar player to DeBrusk and Kuzmenko who was looking like a top line player. That obviously didn’t work out as intended. There is a bit more depth this year though.
Out (from last year opening day): Kuz, Mikheyev, Cole
In: DeBrusk, Heinen, Keef, Forbort, whoever else we sign/trade for.

Still a lot of unknowns. You are right that hopes were high for Kuz and Mikheyev. We'll see what DeBrusk brings, but I think we know what Heinen and Keef will do, and they are cost-effective.

Reactions: Quinton Byfield

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
I love Zadorov but there is absolutely no way you can justify paying your 3rd LD 5 mil a year.

Some of you guys gotta take off the rose coloured glasses. It was a good day for us - sensible signings and staying away from some of the bad contracts handed out.
As far as the coaching staff was concerned - because they absolutely don’t want guys playing their off-side - it was a choice between Soucy and Zads.

They chose Soucy.

The Zads era is over and we’re moving on.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
I'd look at debrusk as one of three pieces for Petey's line. There are three spots there and they have filled two of them. There is still room for a high end player on Petey's other wing, it might not happen this year but they also didn't go bananas and overpay debrusk. If we get a guy like buchnevich or necas to put in that other spot(if they can make the space) I like the look of that.

Debrusk-petey-necas/buch

That's heavy, skilled and a fast line and would cause so many problems containing them.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The forward lines have a lot of variability and configurations. Most of the wingers can play either side and throughout the line-up.

That defence…as someone who vastly prefers a strong defence, I’m not thrilled so far.
The difference between this team and last year’s from a quality perspective is definitely the D. Need another two guys imo.

One now, and then they can figure out another one in training camp or after the season starts

Reactions: Vector

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
As far as the coaching staff was concerned - because they absolutely don’t want guys playing their off-side - it was a choice between Soucy and Zads.

They chose Soucy.

The Zads era is over and we’re moving on.

I agree. And choosing Soucy over Zadorov is absolutely the right choice.

He's cheaper and the better defenseman. I love Zadorov but they money just didn't make sense for us. Management did the right thing here

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
B- so far.

I would have expected all these types of signings without moving Mikheyev.

Still need a goal scoring F and Top 4 d.
Bingo. The only one that moved the needle even a bit was debrusk. He's marginally better than Miks average play and we gave up a second and retained.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
10.75 spent on Sherwood, Heinen, Forbot and Debrusk

13.75 and Boston got Lindholm and Zadorov.

We moved Mikheyev+a 2nd round pick to make room for Debrusk?

Oh well, at least we didn't get Tanev for 6 years and Woll for the price we're paying.

"Better than Toronto" isn't the standard I expect though.
Forgetting Hronek, Blueger, and Joshua. Might consider Silovs too since I think he might get a one-way.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Wish they could have signed 2 less players and ponied up for Zadorov. I don't see a way to properly replace him.

Chychrun would have been decent.

They basically took Zadorov’s contract and gave most of it to DeBrusk. So either you sign Zadorov and have three legit top-six forwards and sign the bottom sixers, or you get another top-six winger.

They couldn’t have afforded another top-four defenseman and addressed wing given the UFA rates today.

I’m sure if they’d gone cheap on forward and allocated more to defense people would be complaining about how paper thin the top six was.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
disappointing the team missed out on marino and chychrun. they both were relatively cheap to acquire, the team has the cap space for either and both would have gone a long way to making the defense look reasonable

i don't think the lineup as-is is terrible but they're gonna have to spend assets to address holes in season again and that didn't work so well last season. they also have less assets to work with this time around

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Nobody should be taking playoffs for granted. This team has shown to be very volatile.

Canucks were a bottom 10 scoring team in 21-22, and bottom 5 since this past deadline.. Personnel wise, the powerplay remains unchanged.

Waiting until in season to address the teams biggest need, which hasn't changed in 4 years, is not a good idea.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Our D looks like a downgrade on paper right now, but let's not forget that we didn't add Zadorov until November. The top 4 is still good enough to get us through the initial part of the season and inevitably somebody will become available to acquire for a draft pick. Also, with our forward depth, we can even move out a surplus bottom 6 guy for a bottom 6 D. I can see Aman being squeezed out given the added depth brought in.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Out (from last year opening day): Kuz, Mikheyev, Cole
In: DeBrusk, Heinen, Keef, Forbort, whoever else we sign/trade for.

Still a lot of unknowns. You are right that hopes were high for Kuz and Mikheyev. We'll see what DeBrusk brings, but I think we know what Heinen and Keef will do, and they are cost-effective.
I think we need a skill star forward and a top 4 RHD. I just don't see how we add, say Buchnevich and a top 4 D, signed long term with the money we currently are working with. Those 2 OEL buyout years are rough.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ian Clark strikes again!.....Canucks have signed Vegas goalie Jiri Patera to a two-year, two way contract. A 25 year old Czech goalie with good size--6'3" and 212. Played well on a poor Henderson Silver Knights team last season.

Goaltender insurance for Abbotsford I guess. And continues a Canuck trend. Every year they seem to sign a free agent goalie or two. Last year it was Tolopilo and DeSmith.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I’m curious if they could fit Kylington in while also finding a way to bank enough cap space for it to be relevant.

Yeah, I'm starting to think an offensive guy may be our best bet. Gostisbehere gets a bad rap sometimes but seems to have success wherever he goes. I doubt he signs for what we would want but maybe he'd like to play on a competitive team on a cheaper one year deal to build value.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Sign Blake Lizotte for the bottom 6? Good PKer and wall guy. Undersized but plays bigger than he is. Bottom 6 is getting crowded though...

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Sign Blake Lizotte for the bottom 6? Good PKer and wall guy. Undersized but plays bigger than he is. Bottom 6 is getting crowded though...

I feel like we've done enough to make our bottom 6 strong by bumping a couple guys down the roster and we have lots of swiss army guys.

Focus needs to be on adding a D, ideally one that can move the puck (Kylington, Brannstrom), and maybe a 1 year low money guy who is a swing to be a offensive hit like Alex Nylander who you can bury if its not working out.

Reactions: Nick Lang and DFAC

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Our D looks like a downgrade on paper right now, but let's not forget that we didn't add Zadorov until November. The top 4 is still good enough to get us through the initial part of the season and inevitably somebody will become available to acquire for a draft pick. Also, with our forward depth, we can even move out a surplus bottom 6 guy for a bottom 6 D. I can see Aman being squeezed out given the added depth brought in.

I still think they’ll add at least one more Forbort-type deal, maybe later in free agency when there are some bargains around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad