Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | These Little Piggies Are Not Going To The Market…

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I
It looks like Garland + Joshua are getting promoted next season.

Debrusk-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-EP-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood
Heinen-Blueger-Podkolzin
PDG-Aman

Is what I would roll with. Maybe EP's linemates where here all along?
I think Podkolzin ends up in the third line and Suter is the other winger. I would love a 3c upgrade.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I like this

Joshua-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Petterson-Garland

DeBrusk also plays both sides to Joshua-Pettersson-DeBrusk could give Pettey a couple big boys.

Reactions: timw33

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Pretty underwhelming work done today IMO...Kiefer Sherwood was the only signing I feel good about. DeBrusk is a decent winger but if we're looking to find someone for Petey to generate some offensive chemistry with, I'm not sure he's the guy I'd be focusing on...and 7 years is a crazy commitment to make for a guy as consistently inconsistent as DeBrusk. Heinen is a reasonable middle 6 winger, depth is always welcome and I don't have a big issue with him, but its money being used that creates problems with you want to add someone with REAL talent...Forbort is meh, if hes a regular in the lineup I think its a problem. Overall its been a disappointing day so far.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Not very good so far, looking like a repeat of 2016 is possible.

Zadorov? So he got 5 mil. The Canucks just spent 1.5 mil for a guy that couldn't play in the league regularly, so they step backwards on defence. Smaller and a lot less skill. 4.5 X 7 and the 5th best defence in the league stays intact and improved, now a big leap back, bottom 3 are smaller AHL guys now. Still need a top 4 dman just to tread water, LH or RH and Forbert isn't even the "absolutely must have RHD" to play with Hughes.

This Russian hate needs to stop.

In this day and age of supporting the club regardless of outcome this gets muffled as much as possible.
Essentially they will spend more being worse.

Everything is about Hughes being better in the easy season, how he is going to carry the team on his shoulders. He IS the TEAM, so what happens when he gets hurt?

Very worried this is a repeat of 8 years ago. Capped out and defence depth issues. 2016 over again?

So far 650 is all about how good it was they didn't over pay in FA, but hardly a peep about whether the team has improved or not? Yesterday players still listed on the team the team had the 5th best defence, today 22nd.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Not very good so far, looking like a repeat of 2016 is possible.

Zadorov? So he got 5 mil. The Canucks just spent 1.5 mil for a guy that couldn't play in the league regularly, so they step backwards on defence. Smaller and a lot less skill. 4.5 X 7 and the 5th best defence in the league stays intact and improved, now a big leap back, bottom 3 are smaller AHL guys now. Still need a top 4 dman just to tread water, LH or RH and Forbert isn't even the "absolutely must have RHD" to play with Hughes.

This Russian hate needs to stop.

In this day and age of supporting the club regardless of outcome this gets muffled as much as possible.
Essentially they will spend more being worse.

Everything is about Hughes being better in the easy season, how he is going to carry the team on his shoulders. He IS the TEAM, so what happens when he gets hurt?

Very worried this is a repeat of 8 years ago. Capped out and defence depth issues. 2016 over again?

So far 650 is all about how good it was they didn't over pay in FA, but hardly a peep about whether the team has improved or not? Yesterday players still listed on the team the team had the 5th best defence, today 22nd.

The team is better today than they were at last season's opener, the only players we don't have are Ian Cole, Sam Lafferty, and Casey DeSmith.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
The Zad contract is good. The Lindholm contract is, IMO, not good.

DeBrusk is a big swing, but I like it. Sherwood and Heinen are really good value pick ups. Forbot is hopefully a good bottom pairing guy.

I don't mind our day, but am still hoping for some more D help.

Considering what other teams did Nucks had an okay day. Still need a scorer on the wings but that could be had at the deadline. Need a top 4 dman though. Defense took too much of a hit. Relying on Myers in the top 4 isn't smart and if Soucy can't stay healthy, it gets very weak.

Also, we have $3m in cap space, more balance in the line up and should be faster, harder to play against and with a better PK. I actually make that trade. We still need some depth on LHD and could really use a top 4 dman in the RHF side. I would like to see us sign sprong for the third line so we can move Joshua further up the line up.

I think if we get spring we can move out Garland to free up cap to get a dman.

The team is better today than they were at last season's opener, the only players we don't have are Ian Cole, Sam Lafferty, and Casey DeSmith.

Feels like we would have had to stupidly overpay for anything major so instead we incrementally improved while focusing on depth over top-end and keeping flexibility (both with cap space and shorter deals on the bottom end) to wait for a chance to make a swing. I'm okay with that.

Reactions: ziploc

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
It looks like Garland + Joshua are getting promoted next season.

Debrusk-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-EP-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood
Heinen-Blueger-Podkolzin
PDG-Aman

Is what I would roll with. Maybe EP's linemates where here all along?
We're going to see Heinen, Suter, Debrusk, even Sherwood play with that Miller line at times this season. I really wish Garland would work with Pete on that line, but we've already seen that with mixed results.

My issue is that up front, there's only Miller and Pete that are the line drivers, which is something I hoped we would have addressed. A guy that can do special things independent of Miller/Pete. Not sure if there's enough cap resources to go big fish hunting for a long term solution in that regard.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
on a day when ian cole got a raise, when chandler stephenson got paid more than marchessault and when sean monahan got 4x5m, we did ok.

i have come around to thinking debrusk is a targeted mikheyev replacement that they wanted for utility and coachability as well as scoring. still not happy with it but if i think of it as overpaying for a high end middle six player it is easier to stomach than the idea they thought of him as filling a true top 6 role.

i believe there is a rhd move coming. maybe they are waiting on carrier to make up his mind.

Reactions: ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Who is still out there for defencemen? We need another one. The loss of Zadorov is massive
Lots of options but they all come with some question marks.

Carrier and Hakanpaa probably have the best resumes, but Carrier might be signed already and Hak-tuah is more of a defensive defenceman, not a puck mover.

PO Joseph, Kylington, Boqvist are all available, but are either injury prone or not really top 4 guys projectables.

Reactions: pitseleh

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Outside of Debrusk, everything is pointing towards a priority to flexibility which is the prudent thing to do in a plan B scenario. I'm not really sure what happened with Debrusk, I like the player but I don't love that contract.

Something non-obvious to mention is the emphasis on size as well. Forbort's obviously a bit of a tree, but the other guys play bigger than listed.

Reactions: MarkMM and ziploc

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
10.75 spent on Sherwood, Heinen, Forbot and Debrusk

13.75 and Boston got Lindholm and Zadorov.

We moved Mikheyev+a 2nd round pick to make room for Debrusk?

Oh well, at least we didn't get Tanev for 6 years and Woll for the price we're paying.

"Better than Toronto" isn't the standard I expect though.

Its day 1 of free agency - the team still has plenty of time to sign or trade for someone. Cap space is king.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Outside of Debrusk, everything is pointing towards a priority to flexibility which is the prudent thing to do in a plan B scenario. I'm not really sure what happened with Debrusk, I like the player but I don't love that contract.

Something non-obvious to mention is the emphasis on size as well. Forbort's obviously a bit of a tree, but the other guys play bigger than listed.
Agreed. DeBrusk is a calculated risk, I think. They are hoping he is the type of guy who can really click in the top 6 and bring other elements as well. He could very well outscore Lindholm, but Lindholm carries more value as a C.

I am hoping we look back on this contract as a steal in a few years, but it could go either way.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Considering the context that the Tier 1 market was gone in a matter of minutes, I feel like they did a good job adjusting to the circumstances and made some nice value signings to bolster the depth of the team.

At the end of the day some players just don't want to come to Canada/Vancouver and we have to accept that, you can't just assume that if we offered the same or a little more a player would come here for sure.

Was hoping for Arvidsson or Marchessault, the former going to rebuild his value in EDM and the latter signing a contract until he's 39, probably not something that would work out well for us.

A lot of absurd money and absurd term was thrown around today and we gave a 7 year deal to the youngest of anyone who signed that term.

One thing I like about the three new forwards is they all have been fantastic ES producers relative to their ice time and cost. None of them are butter soft, they are all 6' 200lbs and get at least 1 hit/gp (Sherwood a buzz saw). Good versatility in Heinen and Debrusk being able to play multiple forward positions. Those two also have good PK utility.

I've got no problem with Forbort at 1.5MM (400k above the bury line) and 1 year, considering much worse players in Lybushkin and Edmunson just got 3.25MM and 3.8MM respectively with term.

I think they need to focus on finding that D upgrade with the rest of the available money. Alex Carrier I see no official signing for, and also like Brannstrom/Kylington for a more puck moving upgrade to our bottom-4 which is a need for sure.

It's too bad we couldn't land one of the big boys but our depth is looking really solid and I do feel that Debrusk is a big upgrade as a linemate for EP compared to Mik/Laff/crud.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Not on paper though - last year they had Mikheyev who still looked like a similar player to DeBrusk and Kuzmenko who was looking like a top line player. That obviously didn’t work out as intended. There is a bit more depth this year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad