Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | These Little Piggies Are Not Going To The Market…

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Still some quality defencemen on the board:

Pesce
Montour
Skjei
I think a good amount of players will have handshake agreements already. Pesce is going to NJ. Haven’t heard much from Montour or Skjei, but those two will price themselves out of our range.

Montour’s AFP prediction is 7.7x6. Skjei is 7.5x5.

Montour kinda needs a PP1 role to get the most out of him as well.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Stephenson was someone we were linked to at some point - I wonder if they circle back to him.

I have a weird feeling we might make a push for Bertuzzi.

Stephenson - very useful player. I'd be happy enough with him and Toffoli.

Bertuzzi - not stoked about. I feel like he will fall off a cliff as soon as he gets term. And not to mention the optics of having that last name in a Canucks sweater again lol

what about brandon montour?

He was horrible in the season and playoffs. Tremendous last year.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I think a good amount of players will have handshake agreements already. Pesce is going to NJ. Haven’t heard much from Montour or Skjei, but those two will price themselves out of our range.

Montour’s AFP prediction is 7.7x6. Skjei is 7.5x5.

Montour kinda needs a PP1 role to get the most out of him as well.
he can play pp2 for vancouver. their lineup decisions for that unit was horrible. soucy? myers

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
so basically you're running it back with the same squad with a few abbotsford guys in there. yeah that team isnt making the playoffs let alone getting out of the first round. number 1 priority is to get petterson some winger help. theres so many what ifs... what if hughes gets hurts? miller boeser? whose replacing them?
It's roughly the same as the team that started last season. Building up the team for the playoffs is a process that largely starts July 1st but goes into the season and ends at the trade deadline. It's pretty much the same thing as last year, people were wondering how the Canucks could possibly compete but they were being compared to the prior seasons playoffs with deadline acquisitions included.

The Canucks have a good base roster to start the season, and the 1st and 2nd rounder are in place to make a big acquisition in season.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I wonder if Foote and Gonchar could work with someone like Boqvist. Getting out of the Columbus dumpster fire and into a better environment could help him get his game back on track - and we do need people other than Hughes to transition the puck.

Reactions: Hansen and Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t like most taj opinion tweets but I think he has a good take about trading Hoglander.

His contract value helped when you wanted to preserve space for Guentzel.

Now? If he gets you a big time player and you don’t think he will improve significantly by the playoffs / have reservations about paying him, maybe weaponize him.

——-

Does anyone have a take on Boqvist?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It's roughly the same as the team that started last season. Building up the team for the playoffs is a process that largely starts July 1st but goes into the season and ends at the trade deadline. It's pretty much the same thing as last year, people were wondering how the Canucks could possibly compete but they were being compared to the prior seasons playoffs with deadline acquisitions included.

The Canucks have a good base roster to start the season, and the 1st and 2nd rounder are in place to make a big acquisition in season.

Except, we all know now the team that started last season massively overachieved for the entire first half.

Without that insane run, they were a 5-7 seed even after adding Zadorov and Lindholm.

And at some point here, we are going to need to make our 1st and 2nd round selections or risk having a completely bare cupboard.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I don’t like most taj opinion tweets but I think he has a good take about trading Hoglander.

Now? If he gets you a big time player and you don’t think he will improve significantly by the playoffs / have reservations about paying him, maybe weaponize him.

——-

Still think something like Hoglander+ for Ehlers would make a lot of sense for both teams, but not sure what the plus would be.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This is a failure of epic proportions.
I really wonder if we could have pressured him a lot more if we traded for his rights sooner.

I think this is the first time they misunderstood other teams interest.

It’s gonna be fascinating what happens tommorow

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Except, we all know now the team that started last season massively overachieved for the entire first half.

Without that insane run, they were a 5-7 seed even after adding Zadorov and Lindholm.

And at some point here, we are going to need to make our 1st and 2nd round selections or risk having a completely bare cupboard.

This was always just baked into the strategy they chose though. By trying to maximize over the Hughes/Demko deals (and previously Pettersson), your window would likely be relatively shorter, you might hit a ceiling lower than you’d like, and when the rebuild does come it will be deeper and more painful. Not only do you have to walk a fine line on the salary cap (which they’ve been pretty good with) but you’re avenues for improvement would be narrow and largely market-driven.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'd love Martinook here, I've always had a soft spot for him since his time with the Giants. I think he'd be a low-key great signing. Doing that could allow you to bump Joshua up to Petey's line and roll with Martinook - Blueger - Garland as your third. It also allows you to have Hoglander back on the 4th where I think he's more suited. I'd love to see what Joshua can do in a bigger role now that he's locked up and earning some actual coin now. He could be the Bertuzzi to Pettersson's Naslund.

Joshua - Petey - Marchessault
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Martinook - Blueger - Garland
Hoglander - Aman - Podkolzin

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Brandon Montour will be a good option now.

Mathew Dumba might be a fun project for Foote and Tocchet to work with. Dumba is a physical player but declined recently.
Dumba is somebody I really want honestly, seems like a guy rick can fix

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021

——-

Well Rutherford is never afraid to go big fish hunting, so maybe he does a Kessel 2.0 with the Leafs? Not sure what kind of assets it would take, but Hog would be the kind of hard working, small salary type the Leafs love throwing next to Matthews.

Boqvist is probably too injury prone to generate interest from serious teams. I can see Chicago or SJ giving a 1 yr to give him a shot.

• Wow
Reactions: Peen

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'd love Martinook here, I've always had a soft spot for him since his time with the Giants. I think he'd be a low-key great signing. Doing that could allow you to bump Joshua up to Petey's line and roll with Martinook - Blueger - Garland as your third. It also allows you to have Hoglander back on the 4th where I think he's more suited. I'd love to see what Joshua can do in a bigger role now that he's locked up and earning some actual coin now. He could be the Bertuzzi to Pettersson's Naslund.

Joshua - Petey - Marchessault
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Martinook - Blueger - Garland
Hoglander - Aman - Podkolzin

I like Martinook, and I think he’s the kind of locker room type that Rutherford and Allvin like - but I think he may come at too high a cost.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I’m open to Laine if they retain 50% and we give up basically nothing, if they send over one of the good young assets they have. We could use a couple more to form a “next wave”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad