Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Summer Doldrums

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
You’ve not hung out at any bar that serves a half decent Guiness in the city in the last 10 years? They’ve been swarming the hospitality industry for a while.
I'm talking about before then.

It was the Aussies that were everywhere.

Last decade has been the Irish.

I mean I get it. Ireland is a wonderful place to visit. Not so much to live permanently.

But seriously. Go somewhere else closer to home.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Edmonton has no cap space

Even if Savoie busts Edmonton was desperately over the cap and this move gets them a blue chip prospect to not be. There's a good chance they flip Savoie at the deadline so I don't think they really care past this year.

This. It doesn't matter a lick if Savoie busts. False premise.

He's a prospect that provides the potential you really shouldn't get with a low #3/high #4 centre. Now EDM has a tradeable asset, are out of cap problems, and the upside bet is immense.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
From what I recall the Irish thing started around the Olympics.
It started here:

1720222136077.png

Reactions: Nomobo and Vector

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
One of my patients recommended a short old movie, it's about a Chinese guy who wanted to go live in Ireland so he studied up on his Gaelic for 6 months. When he got to Ireland and started speaking Gaelic, all the Irish people thought he was speaking Chinese and could not understand him. Until an old man who did speak Gaelic told him hey young man your Gaelic is good except everyone here speaks English not Gaelic.

Got a pretty good chuckle out of that.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
One of my patients recommended a short old movie, it's about a Chinese guy who wanted to go live in Ireland so he studied up on his Gaelic for 6 months. When he got to Ireland and started speaking Gaelic, all the Irish people thought he was speaking Chinese and could not understand him. Until an old man who did speak Gaelic told him hey young man your Gaelic is good except everyone here speaks English not Gaelic.

Got a pretty good chuckle out of that.
Kids in Ireland are learning Gaeilge now as part of their schooling, similar to how everyone is supposed to learn French in Canada. I think it's good, and I like the Irish language - it sounds a bit like Klingon.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
This. It doesn't matter a lick if Savoie busts. False premise.

He's a prospect that provides the potential you really shouldn't get with a low #3/high #4 centre. Now EDM has a tradeable asset, are out of cap problems, and the upside bet is immense.
If he implodes when he hits the AHL, he won't be tradeable anymore. It's still a decent gamble for Edmonton but if Buffalo really doesn't believe in Savoie (who is more of a boom/bust player) now is the perfect time to cut bait.

Reactions: bossram

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Kids in Ireland are learning Gaeilge now as part of their schooling, similar to how everyone is supposed to learn French in Canada. I think it's good, and I like the Irish language - it sounds a bit like Klingon.

Gaelic I think has a mythical vibe to it.

French I absolutely do not care for, at all.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I love both languages. I especially love French as it has been adapted in the Congo and Haiti though. It is beautifully languorous and graceful.

Quebecois is a different thing altogether. I still like it, but it's more of a guilty pleasure.

Quebec played a big part in my hatred towards French language. When I visited Montreal and QC way back, it was the worst experience of my life. Everyone acted like they are hand-picked apostles of Jesus just because they speak French. I tried my best with my broken ass French learned from high school but it didn't matter, the moment I slipped an English word out, I was a worse sinner than Hitler.

Never have I ever met such a bunch of arrogant ignorant losers in my life.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
oilers fans are doing that thing when someone gets traded that they gas them up

they cant fool me i read their board the entire playoffs and watched an entire series with him

he played soft and wasnt contributing offensively whatsoever. their board was absolutely murdering him at the same level they were nurse/ceci

the premise of this trade makes more sense for buffalo but the target, imo, has a low ceiling

edmonton gets an asset to flip for a top four d mid season which js perfect for them

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Everyone hates Quebec French and they hate everyone else even more.

Go to Le Louvre, wait for any of the seemingly endless beautiful women to talk to you in real French.... you'll bring more than souvenirs home to meet your parents.

Truss.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Quebec played a big part in my hatred towards French language. When I visited Montreal and QC way back, it was the worst experience of my life. Everyone acted like they are hand-picked apostles of Jesus just because they speak French. I tried my best with my broken ass French learned from high school but it didn't matter, the moment I slipped an English word out, I was a worse sinner than Hitler.

I had some mixed experiences when I went in grade 7 - and I as practically fluent at that point.

But I have had some wonderful experiences since with beautiful people.

And I am a big Alex Burrows fan.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

My experience was exactly the opposite: friendly people, happy to speak French slowly for the benefit of an Anglo, or to switch into English, or whatever you like.

I witnessed some really obnoxious behaviour from English-speaking visitors, who then acted surprised when they weren't treated like glorious members of the master race.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

I'm having a chuckle because one's experiences with different cultures can have such dramatic impacts on how choose to evaluate them.

We often end up stuck with a particular view and carry it around for years.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I'm having a chuckle because one's experiences with different cultures can have such dramatic impacts on how choose to evaluate them.

We often end up stuck with a particular view and carry it around for years.

This is super true for me, the experience was so god awful I really can't see myself visiting that province ever again.

A trip to Paris changed my previous contemptuous view towards French people (the REAL French). Everyone in Paris was friendly and helpful, including this old guy at subway ticket booth who said after our transactions: you no French, I no English, we no problem!

That, versus what happened when I was at a station in Quebec City, as I tried to navigate my way through that language, the ticket vendor just looked at me and laughed, and gestured me to piss off after I inserted one too many English words in my conversation with him.

To quote the wise Confucius: f*** this shit.

Reactions: quat

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If he implodes when he hits the AHL, he won't be tradeable anymore. It's still a decent gamble for Edmonton but if Buffalo really doesn't believe in Savoie (who is more of a boom/bust player) now is the perfect time to cut bait.
Yes this is probably one that gets fans all in a tizzy as this is an 8th overall pick from just two years ago, but Buffalo probably wasn't getting great offers for Savoie so the actual NHL GM's probably don't hold him in nearly as high regard. The trade will most likely look better in Buffalo's favour in the long run, though certainly this is aa chance you want to take if you're Edmonton as it's not easy for a contending team to get such a young talent like that.

Reactions: bossram and Hodgy

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Lol Irish folks don't usually like hearing this one. There's this routine from an Irish comedian that circulates social media every so often and it inevitably leads to Irish folks getting smug in the comments about the fictitious suggestion Ireland did not participate in North American colonialism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad