Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Summer Doldrums

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Buffalo has a glut of blue chip prospects and they needed to start moving them to be competitive, there's just not enough roster spots.

They've taken like 5 fwds in the 1st since Savoie was drafted and they desperately need players. That being said, they probably could have found a better player.

Reactions: oceanchild

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This doesn't really tackle the point that they are a good defensive team though. A bad defensive team doesn't fluke its way to a historically good PK. It seems hard for you to understand this because your personal feelings about the Oilers are getting in the way from objectivity. I'm not saying a 96% PK rate is sustainable - I'm saying they are not 'lost' defensively as was originally said.
Well some players are good at then PK and then suspect at ES, notably the Nurse - Cici paring. I think when people are saying the Oilers D is suspect, it’s that paring. Also if anything happens to Ekholm, then Bouchard is going to get exposed, and Ekholm is 34 so he’s going to decline pretty soon.

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
Wasn't that high on Savoie in the first place, but when you've got Benson in close proximity who's younger, better and bigger in the same roster spot, he seems like an obvious trade chip.

But if you're gonna help the Oilers out of their cap problems, please make it a little harder. Jeff Jackson as an interim is approaching Gorton in Boston level. Only thing left for him is reallocating Nurse-Ceci to make them the likely best team in the league.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Buffalo. I understand their reasoning and I'm not high on Savoie but McLeod is a very underwhelming return.
i don't think Edmonton should be making that trade either. McLeod could play and was a win now player.

Combined with their maneuver into the first round at the draft, you can of see Edmonton worrying about what happens when McDrai either get expensive... or if they walk.

Reactions: supercanuck

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
i don't think Edmonton should be making that trade either. McLeod could play and was a win now player.

Combined with their maneuver into the first round at the draft, you can of see Edmonton worrying about what happens when McDrai either get expensive... or if they walk.
Wasn’t McLeod and Foegele a big part of their PK?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

With all the signings the Oilers are currently over the cap without Holloway and Broberg signed. I don't think anyone is willing to take on Kane's contract, plus he has a full NMC. They need to start shedding money if he's not going on LTIR and they can't get rid of their other contracts.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Edmonton has no cap space
Curious what everyone will think when Savoie busts.

Even if Savoie busts Edmonton was desperately over the cap and this move gets them a blue chip prospect to not be. There's a good chance they flip Savoie at the deadline so I don't think they really care past this year.

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver

This was probably their only option to unravel their cap while netting positive value.

Also they might have soured on McLeod after his playoff performance. Consistently soft player.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
This was probably their only option to unravel their cap while netting positive value.

Also they might have soured on McLeod after his playoff performance. Consistently soft player.
Gave them a lot of speed and contributed to a 'historically good playoff PK.'

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
anyways, preten you're trading Hoglander to Buffalo, which young player or prospect to do you want from them the most?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Buffalo has a glut of blue chip prospects and they needed to start moving them to be competitive, there's just not enough roster spots.

They've taken like 5 fwds in the 1st since Savoie was drafted and they desperately need players. That being said, they probably could have found a better player.
Bonne Jenner would have been a great target for buffalo. 2 years left at like $3.75 mill. 2011 draftee. So, like 31 now. Only an 8 team NTC.

But, no clue what CBS new GM evaluation of the roster is right now.

But, I do agree, that Buffalo needed to make a move, but whether this is the right one or not, who knows. No issue moving off Benson. Just whehter they got what they needed to get to help them.

Always my concern with drafting smaller skilled kids early. You have to truly love them. Only like 3-4 spots on an NHL roster for smaller players. So, the kid has to be worth that spot.

You rarely "win" a trade trading smaller skill for bigger will so to speak. No in terms of talent.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
it's in the last thread and i don't know how to quote but someone said they'd be upset if they got mcleod for lekkerimaki

i wouldn't. that's the kind of move this roster needs to get over the top
Why Blueger makes McLeod redundant you don't trade on of you best trade assets for marginal upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad