Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | No One Knows Anything

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Agreed it's clear Columbus screwed up his development, but the buyout makes total sense for them - they have a logjam of contracts at D, and this is a 1/3rd buyout giving them a cap credit next season.
But you'd think someone would take him on in a trade, even a "future considerations"...take the salary and try and recoup some value and trade him at the deadline. I don't know, maybe I'm higher on him than all the GM's out there?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
TBay trading for Guentzel's rights complicates matters. JBB is a good GM and if anyone can convince him away from FA, it's him.

That said, I'm still optimistic he will get to FA. He is only 1 day away now. Hard to pass that up for any player.

But you'd think someone would take him on in a trade, even a "future considerations"...take the salary and try and recoup some value and trade him at the deadline. I don't know, maybe I'm higher on him than all the GM's out there?

I think he's a project to most GMs now. Still a good one to take on, but I believe they would want to see the field before deciding on Boqvist.

Liljegren might not be qualified so better not to jump the gun just yet on Boqvist, imo.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Boy does it seem like Guentzel is gonna make a fortune with this contract. Even moreso, the amount of money it's likely going to take to convince him to choose us over Tampa Carolina being able to offer the 8th year was a huge edge and they couldn't come to terms at 8x8. Seems like he could hit 10 million if he wants.

Best case is he's a big fan of the coach and management. Probably wishful thinking that he really really wants to play in Canada.
I’ve read that Guentzel wants the right fit. In watching his highlights, I’ve noticed that he is completely unafraid of going to the tough areas to score, works best with a creative center that can thread passes down low.

Point plays a very similar down low game to Guentzel, so there is the potential he doesn’t play on that 1st line, and opt for a puck retrieving winger like Hagel. That means dropping off to a 40pt center, whereas Guentzel is eating good with either line in Vancouver.

Guentzel is also a great net front puck deflector. Minus an aging Hedman, who is more of a “I touched it, then Kucherov did some sick shit with it” PP guy, Tampa has no future stud in the blue line. Quinn with a net front guy with hands like Guentzel will do special things. The Canucks love their point shots, so systems wise, Guentzel fits like a glove.

For a hockey nerd like Guentzel, I’m sure all these things are obviously to him. Systems and personnel wise, Canucks present the best fit for him. We’ll see where is priorities are soon enough.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I’ve read that Guentzel wants the right fit. In watching his highlights, I’ve noticed that he is completely unafraid of going to the tough areas to score, works best with a creative center that can thread passes down low.

Point plays a very similar down low game to Guentzel, so there is the potential he doesn’t play on that 1st line, and opt for a puck retrieving winger like Hagel. That means dropping off to a 40pt center, whereas Guentzel is eating good with either line in Vancouver.

Guentzel is also a great net front puck deflector. Minus an aging Hedman, who is more of a “I touched it, then Kucherov did some sick shit with it” PP guy, Tampa has no future stud in the blue line. Quinn with a net front guy with hands like Guentzel will do special things. The Canucks love their point shots, so systems wise, Guentzel fits like a glove.

For a hockey nerd like Guentzel, I’m sure all these things are obviously to him. Systems and personnel wise, Canucks present the best fit for him. We’ll see where is priorities are soon enough.

I knowwwwwww this is all why it would be such a game changer if Guentzel signed here.

Now that Pavelski is retired, Guentzel might be the best hand-eye player in the league.

It's not a failure if management doesn't sign him. Ultimately the decision will be in Guentzel's hands now.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Guentzel would be incredible on this team. He could play on either of the top two lines and fit in well. That's why this is a big deal.

Reinhart, I see as more of a 60-70 point player than the guy who got 57 goals in the regular season.

Reactions: BimJenning

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Guentzel would be incredible on this team. He could play on either of the top two lines and fit in well. That's why this is a big deal.

Reinhart, I see as more of a 60-70 point player than the guy who got 57 goals in the regular season.
I like Reinhart, but not for the $$ we'd need to offer him to get him to sign. He'll take under $10M to stay in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad