Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | No One Knows Anything

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are looking for a scoring winger, and Jeff Skinner has been bought out by the Sabres. Would he work for the Canucks on a short-term deal?

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Canucks are looking for a scoring winger, and Jeff Skinner has been bought out by the Sabres. Would he work for the Canucks on a short-term deal?
I'm fairly certain he wants to stay in the East JackVan.

It's a decent suggestion. We will see how this shit shakes out tomorrow and the next day. There is a risk coughing up large for a large ticket item like Rhino or Guentzel. But as poster Vadim has pointed out, it's an internal replacement for Brock leaving the following year.

It's hard to say Boss.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Housley (Tocchet's former assistant) had Skinner for a year. Rutherford drafted him and was reportedly interested in Skinner a year or so before Skinner left the Canes. There should be some good intel on the player even if it's outdated.

Reactions: wetcoast

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
My God. The people in here who are freaking out because we 'haven't done anything yet', I have to hope they're really young because I can't imagine much success comes in the adult world for those who are so poor at delaying gratification.

I don't think keeping our powder dry would be a bad option either, if Guentzel is unavailable or unreasonable.

There will be trades to be made even early in the season if necessary. Panicking into giving like Jake Debrusk 7 million because 'we had to do something' is how you absolutely gut a window to win.

Have some patience and let's see what happens.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
My God. The people in here who are freaking out because we 'haven't done anything yet', I have to hope they're really young because I can't imagine much success comes in the adult world for those who are so poor at delaying gratification.

I don't think keeping our powder dry would be a bad option either, if Guentzel is unavailable or unreasonable.

There will be trades to be made even early in the season if necessary. Panicking into giving like Jake Debrusk 7 million because 'we had to do something' is how you absolutely gut a window to win.

Have some patience and let's see what happens.
The tantrums are kinda cute though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Jeff Skinner would be a terrible fit.

"Fit" depends on price and alternatives though. Based on last season, the options on left wing are: Hoglander, Suter, and PDG. Say you throw Joshua in there as well. Is Skinner a fit? Well Skinner will probably score more goals. He has 0 playoff experience though.

There's a real need for a top 6 LW who plays well with Petey and or Miller.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I’ll reiterate that I believe the only way that the Canucks can probably get Guentzel over Tampa at this point is if they take their mooted 7y x 9.5m offer—and organize a sign and trade with Carolina to offer 8y x 9.5m instead so they can offer more total money than Tampa (even with tax considerations).

Not saying they should do it—just saying what they would need to do.

Reactions: Flik

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
"Fit" depends on price and alternatives though. Based on last season, the options on left wing are: Hoglander, Suter, and PDG. Say you throw Joshua in there as well. Is Skinner a fit? Well Skinner will probably score more goals. He has 0 playoff experience though.

There's a real need for a top 6 LW who plays well with Petey and or Miller.
Fit as in Tochett wouldn’t play him.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I don't have the same panic about terrible FA signings that I had when Benning at the the wheel. But I still think there's a lot of pressure on GM's, at this time of year, to be seen to be "doing something". If we can get Guentzel or Reinhart without destroying our salary structure, I'd be fine. A Roy pickup would be good too. But I'd rather play wait and see and not overpay for any player in a fit of madness.

Reactions: wetcoast and Flik

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I’ll reiterate that I believe the only way that the Canucks can probably get Guentzel over Tampa at this point is if they take their mooted 7y x 9.5m offer—and organize a sign and trade with Carolina to offer 8y x 9.5m instead so they can offer more total money than Tampa (even with tax considerations).

Not saying they should do it—just saying what they would need to do.
Vancouver will get him if he wants to play here. That’s basically it. If he cares more about money he’ll sign in Tampa.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Vancouver will get him if he wants to play here. That’s basically it. If he cares more about money he’ll sign in Tampa.
I think you are right. That definitely is a factor. It may come down to which core would he rather play with for the next seven years.

Kucherov, Hedman, Point, Stamkos, and Vasilevskiy​
versus
Hughes, Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, and Demko​

Tampa definitely has pedigree, but you cannot deny that they are much closer to the wrong end of the age curve.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
its been few and far between since I could post but I did a quick search and found out how to resolve the issues
I'll need to catch up on some things
WE GOT LINDHOLM
OMG WE WON THE DIVISION
f***ING OILERS

this weekend has been pretty wild especially since we have been on the sidelines the whole time, I am minority confident we get Guentzel because of the position of the team, who he would get to play alongside, who our coach and management and how high we are willing to go BUT
If the big clubs of the good ol US of A can beat our offer and have the whole tax thing benefiting them then I hope the team pivots to Mars-schictzo and a better defender

I am also open to a Patrick Laine reclamation project, if he wants out and his contract is heavy he won't cost a lot to get and his contract expires in 2 years

Reactions: Kickassguy

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
The thing with Zadorov is I feel if he gets his bag he's gonna be prone to mailing it in. He absolutely quit on Calgary last year and became a locker room cancer. I could see things going south with him if things aren't going well. I dunno. He's funny and all but I'm not entirely sold on his character.

Reactions: dez and Nopefully

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think that maybe they should concentrate on shoring up their back end and try to add a better option up front but maybe go bargain bin hunting to find a hidden gem who gets squeezed out of the market and sign them to a show me deal.

The problem is that if we are trying to compete for the SC the bargain bin might not be the best place to look.

Tomorrow will obviously be very interesting to say the least.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The thing with Zadorov is I feel if he gets his bag he's gonna be prone to mailing it in. He absolutely quit on Calgary last year and became a locker room cancer. I could see things going south with him if things aren't going well. I dunno. He's funny and all but I'm not entirely sold on his character.

If his mesh with our team was largely due to things going well for him I'm ok with that. There are players who act like miserable bitches even when things are going their way, like McDavid.

He was a great fit here, and brought about this swagger that I have not seen for a very very long time. Sad to see him leave.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah I’d be pretty wary of Zadorov if I was any other team. He’s had this brief period of elevated play under a specific coach in a specific situation. Otherwise he’s been pretty inconsistent and has his share of problems. I’d be a bit nervous giving me big dollars and putting him in a new situation.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The key reason Tanev is being offered a 6 year term is because he will sign the contract before his 35th birthday. If he retires before the end of the term it doesn't count against the cap and giving term is a good way to reduce the current cap hit.

Watch for a contract front loaded with bonuses.

This is another good reason to go to 8 years on Lindholm and 7 years on Zadorov but apparently the Canucks have other ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad