Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
In no world should we be moving a $1 million 20 goal scorer for a cap dump. There is no way we can find equal quality for that price in UFA or trade. It negates the benefit of dumping Mikheyev

how do you propose getting rid of mikheyev then? move lekkerimaki or willander? the 2025 1st?

i think hoglander's showing in the playoffs is a warning sign that we maybe shouldn't expect too much from him next season. the consistency isn't there

Reactions: MS

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here's a list of the all the players that have re-signed with their teams over the last few weeks. It's very short.

UFAs:
DeMelo
Chatfield
O'Brien
Friedman
Nedeljkovic

RFAs:
Mittelstadt
Guttman*
Chinakhov
Perunovich
Mitchell*
Hronek
Turcotte*
Kakko

*two-way contract

Reactions: Lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's weird because I think Joshua is a player whose game and shot selection lends itself to a high shooting % while Hoglander's game absolutely does not ... but people are forecasting a massive regression for Joshua and just keep referring to Hoglander as a 20-goal scorer.

I think Hoglander is due for a much bigger regression than Joshua and that his playoffs were a massive red flag.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
how do you propose getting rid of mikheyev then? move lekkerimaki or willander? the 2025 1st?

i think hoglander's showing in the playoffs is a warning sign that we maybe shouldn't expect too much from him next season. the consistency isn't there
He is still a young player and scored 24 goals with zero PP time, and limited ice time in general. And he is not soft.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If you get him cheap enough, he could be a bargain on paper. I'm not sure that he's a player you win with even if you sign him for cheap and he spots you 50 points.
Certainly not advocating as the big top6 addition but as a replacement for Mikhayev who should be done here. As a cheap 3rd wheel scorer in conjunction with a solid long term addition to Pettersson and being able to retain Joshua and Zadorov vs paying Toffoli or the likes 5-6 and term i would welcome it.

I'm really leery of falling on the UFA grenades. It's not that i'm super high on Debrusk but i think culturally and from an age standpoint he's at the stage we can get enough return on value plus he checks physicality and speed boxes and for certain Tocchet will be able to steer him right.

Too many are 29 or older which does nothing but give Pettersson a soft finisher which wont help enough when the games get harder and only get worse in years to come reducing flexibility

Feel like we have enough skill if Lekkerimaki can be a player we just need the right pieces to complement that and give it the room needed to succeed.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
In no world should we be moving a $1 million 20 goal scorer for a cap dump. There is no way we can find equal quality for that price in UFA or trade. It negates the benefit of dumping Mikheyev
I don’t know if the team is that high on Hoglander. He’s one of many diminutive forwards on this roster and he hasn’t demonstrated an ability to get things done on his own with any consistency.

I would not be shocked at all if they move him while they perceive his value as high—especially if they aren’t certain on re-signing him next year.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
He is still a young player and scored 24 goals with zero PP time, and limited ice time in general. And he is not soft.

i didn't call him soft? he shot 20% tho. even if he gets more opportunity next season we shouldn't be surprised if he doesn't break 15g

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
It's weird because I think Joshua is a player whose game and shot selection lends itself to a high shooting % while Hoglander's game absolutely does not ... but people are forecasting a massive regression for Joshua and just keep referring to Hoglander as a 20-goal scorer.

I think Hoglander is due for a much bigger regression than Joshua and that his playoffs were a massive red flag.
I wish we got to see Joshua playing alongside Miller or Pettersson last year. I would be a lot more comfortable giving him the term/AAV he is looking for if we knew that he’d be able to scale his production up with top-six deployment.

Right now I feel like the perception is that his 5v5 play is closely linked to Garland’s deployment. It would be nice to have a bit more sample size on where else in the line up he can play.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Might have to be....time to accept that Mikeyev will be on the roster? A buyout locks in some hefty dead cap (OEL buyout hit leaps up) charges during the Canucks's contending window (Demko and Hughes deals). And it seems the prices to dump salary are all over the place.

Mikheyev has a history of being a very effective third liner. He was exactly that in Toronto. With a full season under his belt, his skating might finally return from the knee injury, like we saw with Connor Brown in the playoffs.

Mikheyev - Blueger - Garland should be a well-functioning third line.

Of course, this completely eliminates the Canucks from any big fish in the UFA market. Allvin would be reduced to secondary top-six forward targets like Heinen (who I would go after regardless), Toffoli, Arvidsson, etc.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Certainly not advocating as the big top6 addition but as a replacement for Mikhayev who should be done here. As a cheap 3rd wheel scorer in conjunction with a solid long term addition to Pettersson and being able to retain Joshua and Zadorov vs paying Toffoli or the likes 5-6 and term i would welcome it.

I'm really leery of falling on the UFA grenades. It's not that i'm super high on Debrusk but i think culturally and from an age standpoint he's at the stage we can get enough return on value plus he checks physicality and speed boxes and for certain Tocchet will be able to steer him right.

Too many are 29 or older which does nothing but give Pettersson a soft finisher which wont help enough when the games get harder and only get worse in years to come reducing flexibility

Feel like we have enough skill if Lekkerimaki can be a player we just need the right pieces to complement that and give it the room needed to succeed.

Agreed with all of this.

Guentzel is obviously a higher-level player and if that's a target, fine.

A guy like Debrusk is young enough/probably cheap enough/works hard enough that he'd be an OK buy at worst.

The age 30+ soft skill 50 point guys are terrifying and I do not want to go for 4 or 5 years at an inflated price for a Toffoli or a Teravainen. And when I look at taking Joshua and his 40 ES points/82 for $3 million and moving off that to sign an old, soft player who scored 35 ES points last year for $5 million ... I'm like WTF.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

Two UFAs that stand out the most to me are DeBrusk and Alex Carrier because at just 27yo they are both among the youngest free agents.

Unlike older players looking for a 7-year payday contract—these players may be motivated to take a shorter-term deal and take another crack at a payday contract when the cap is higher in 3-4 years.

Reactions: Jovofan

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Agreed with all of this.

Guentzel is obviously a higher-level player and if that's a target, fine.

A guy like Debrusk is young enough/probably cheap enough/works hard enough that he'd be an OK buy at worst.

The age 30+ soft skill 50 point guys are terrifying and I do not want to go for 4 or 5 years at an inflated price for a Toffoli or a Teravainen. And when I look at taking Joshua and his 40 ES points/82 for $3 million and moving off that to sign an old, soft player who scored 35 ES points last year for $5 million ... I'm like WTF.
yes we'll see what happens but i think this group gets it. They paid a ransom for Lindholm and after trying to get a contract and term that might make some sense they decided they are not going near the legacy deal crap he's obviously looking for.
Two UFAs that stand out the most to me are DeBrusk and Alex Carrier because at just 27yo they are both among the youngest free agents.

Unlike older players looking for a 7-year payday contract—these players may be motivated to take a shorter-term deal and take another crack at a payday contract when the cap is higher in 3-4 years.
I like Carrier too but he might not represent the style of defender they are looking for especially if Hronek is going to be used at times without Hughes. He is a puck mover though i'm just not sure how we afford him plus make a Zadorov/Dillon addition. I do think Myers is coming back at 2.9-3.2 million which as much as a year ago would have made me puke i admit im good with considering the awful numbers im hearing around Tanev etc

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
yes we'll see what happens but i think this group gets it. They paid a ransom for Lindholm and after trying to get a contract and term that might make some sense they decided they are not going near the legacy deal crap he's obviously looking for.

I really hope so. There's probably some PTSD right now but I'm not loving the general tone of the reports we're hearing and the players we're linked to.

There's also probably some PTSD linked to the Blue Jays offseason where they blew their wad chasing Ohtani and watched everything else go past them while that failed chase was happening, and I really don't want to see that repeat with Guentzel.

Reactions: Vector

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Might have to be....time to accept that Mikeyev will be on the roster? A buyout locks in some hefty dead cap (OEL buyout hit leaps up) charges during the Canucks's contending window (Demko and Hughes deals). And it seems the prices to dump salary are all over the place.

Mikheyev has a history of being a very effective third liner. He was exactly that in Toronto. With a full season under his belt, his skating might finally return from the knee injury, like we saw with Connor Brown in the playoffs.

Of course, this completely eliminates the Canucks from any big fish in the UFA market. Allvin would be reduced to secondary top-six forward targets like Heinen (who I would go after regardless), Toffoli, Arvidsson, etc.
If that is the case (and I hope it’s not), then I wonder if they consider moving Garland up to play with Miller. The two have been effective together before. That frees up Boeser to play with Pettersson, and would give them an easier job of finding some complementary pieces to round out the roster. But then a lot hinges on Mikheyev returning to form.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Why would keeping Mikhayev mean we cant go big game hunting for someone like Guentzel? we have around 18.5 mil cap space and can go over 10% i believe in the summer.

I think keeping Mikhayev means no Zadorov and Joshua if anything.

We can still afford to have Guentzel at around 9.5 and have about 3-5 mil of cap space to fill out the roster assuming we sign Bleuger and Myers for a combined 5mil.

Hoglander- Miller- Boeser
xxx- Pettersson-Guentzel
Mikhayev- Bleuger- Garland
Podz-Suter-PDG

Hughes- Hronek
Soucy-Myers
xxx- Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Oof.

I think even if he caps out as a good third-line player with 15ish goals and 30ish points per year, while being a PK stalwart and a physical handful for other teams, anything up to $4M is a nice deal for him.
Bottom six physical energy pkers are not difficult to find, and not 4M players.

Joshua is a good depth piece we should look to keep under most circumstances, but at the cost of overpaying significantly.

Joshua has one, sixty game season of 0.5ppg in a great situation.
Why do fans in van immediately think he's worth a huge raise with term?!

Like I want to keep him too but Allvin is right, he's offering him a 300% raise, basically top six opportunity, on a great fit and great playoff team. If I were him I'd take the term, security and 10+ million dollars to stay where the grass is already green

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I really hope so. There's probably some PTSD right now but I'm not loving the general tone of the reports we're hearing and the players we're linked to.
The reality is though, that on paper, this team is almost certainly going to go into next season worse than when it finished the playoffs. Its the reality of trying a retool where you don't have any draft capital or a plentiful group of prospects. They need to continually find value in free agency or via trade, and unfortunately as we are seeing, even when you find value its short lived because those contracts expire and need to be reupped to a point where there isn't much value there anymore.

So, on paper, the roster likely won't look very good going into next year (save and except maybe adding Guentzel at the expense of depth), and the only way its going to actually be as good as last year's team is if management hits on some trades or free agents where they extract way more value from the player than the acquisition cost.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If that is the case (and I hope it’s not), then I wonder if they consider moving Garland up to play with Miller. The two have been effective together before. That frees up Boeser to play with Pettersson, and would give them an easier job of finding some complementary pieces to round out the roster. But then a lot hinges on Mikheyev returning to form.
I've said elsewhere, Suter - Miller - Boeser was such a phenomenal line, that I would definitely be pencilling them as a combination.

Maybe between someone like Danton Heinen and another buy-low option, they could cobble together some at least competent wingers for Petey.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The reality is though, that on paper, this team is almost certainly going to go into next season worse than when it finished the playoffs. Its the reality of trying a retool where you don't have any draft capital or a plentiful group of prospects. They need to continually find value in free agency or via trade, and unfortunately as we are seeing, even when you find value its short lived because those contracts expire and need to be reupped to a point where there isn't much value there anymore.

So, on paper, the roster likely won't look very good going into next year (save and except maybe adding Guentzel at the expense of depth), and the only way its going to actually be as good as last year's team is if management hits on some trades or free agents where they extract way more value from the player than the acquisition cost.
It's a little bleak, and the only hope is creating space with a Mikheyev move. Which will be harder than not.

Even if that happens we will end up paying some inflated prices for players in FA. It worked out pretty well for us last year because of hugely improved pro scouting. Can we catch lightning in a bottle again?

Players like Dillon might be pretty key - he seems to want to come here, and so we might be able to get him at a slightly lowered price. But I think we will have to hit on some risky bargain players as well. Hence the questions around the likes of Skinner. Huge question marks, but could be bang for buck.

Reactions: Hodgy

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I've said elsewhere, Suter - Miller - Boeser was such a phenomenal line, that I would definitely be pencilling them as a combination.

Maybe between someone like Danton Heinen and another buy-low option, they could cobble together some at least competent wingers for Petey.
I know he's not a Tocchet guy but I think Sprong would explode offensively next to Petey.

I like the idea of Martinook next to Garland as well.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It's a little bleak, and the only hope is creating space with a Mikheyev move. Which will be harder than not.

Even if that happens we will end up paying some inflated prices for players in FA. It worked out pretty well for us last year because of hugely improved pro scouting. Can we catch lightning in a bottle again?

Players like Dillon might be pretty key - he seems to want to come here, and so we might be able to get him at a slightly lowered price. But I think we will have to hit on some risky bargain players as well. Hence the questions around the likes of Skinner. Huge question marks, but could be bang for buck.
Ya, and not only are they trying to catch lightning in a bottle again, and compete and improve in the short term, I absolutely do think this management is going to chase the unicornesque goal of being a long term almost perpetual playoff team like the Hurricanes so I don't think they will gut their futures (which is why I don't think Mikheyev is going anywhere).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

No argument there.

This is why the Joshua situation is so frustrating to me. The guy scored at a 42 ESP point pace from your 3rd line. If he can do that again, he's still an amazing value proposition at $3 million. It should be an automatic signing. Maybe he regresses, but that's a chance you have to take. And hell, maybe he does a Burrows if he gets put on Pettersson's line and scores 30 goals.

But we're talking about punting the most obvious high-value proposition so we can blow way more money on a Toffoli or a Skinner. It makes no sense, and this is how you end up taking a major step backward instead of just treading water.

We aren't going to do the bolded from a Tyler Toffoli signing.

Reactions: Vector

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Skinner is a terrifying player to me. He's soft, poor defensively, 32 years old, in decline, and had an absolutely horrible 2nd half to last season. And has multiple years of being unplayably bad in his recent past before his surprise resurgence a couple years ago.

I also worry about losing what made us successful last year if we're letting go of Joshuas and adding slow, soft skill players like Toffoli and Skinner.

That comes down to what you believe made the Canucks good last year, and why they failed, ultimately.

I think it speaks volumes as to what management thinks they need to improve the roster, and what they're letting go. Their messaging could not be more clear... And more disparate to some of the assessments made here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad