Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I think the Mikheyev move will come right down to the wire of the buyout period closing. Vancouver will try to avoid paying the cost as much as they can—but they can’t let the pick cost of moving off Mikheyev derail their entire off-season plan.
in a surprise move, mikheyev will be traded without a sweetner i hope. unless van has no choice.. trade their 2025 2nd? 2026. some gm will take mikheyev at full price. just like how allvin did with the anthony beuviller move.

Reactions: theguardianII

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
in a surprise move, mikheyev will be traded without a sweetner i hope. unless van has no choice.. trade their 2025 2nd? 2026. some gm will take mikheyev at full price. just like how allvin did with the anthony beuviller move.

It's gonna be painful but I rather us buy his ass out than trading him and lose more assets. We'll need those picks to boaster our team in the upcoming TDL.

But...7 mil dead cap...good god...

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
It's gonna be painful but I rather us buy his ass out than trading him and lose more assets. We'll need those picks to boaster our team in the upcoming TDL.

only 5 teams that have alot of cap space to take on his full contract. utah,detroit,chicago san jose and anahiem

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I am guessing it would be easier for us to trade him away if we eat the same amount for the next 2 seasons vs buying him out and we should do that instead of buy out

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
lets speculate on some names that could be out the door if allvin does go that route. walinnder/d petey are untoucable. everyone else is fair game. garland/hoglander/podkolzin comes to mind.
Pettersson. Block buster, biggest since ..... I almost think they have to in order to build for the future. They could make a trade that returns 4 NHL players maybe with picks too. Tocchets system is more towards defence than elegant skill.
Boeser, they got his value enhanced quite a bit. Can they sign two more 9 mil players? The market kind of states that is what a 40 goal scorer will be worth, that or more. Guentzel has never scored 100 pts and he is looking at 9 mil with only this years increased cap. Next year there will be that but the OEL buyout doubles for the Nux.
Certainly those two trades would be draft worthy.
Petersson to Columbus
Boeser to Carolina
Garland and Mikheyev to Utah.

Honest question regarding JR and Alvins history when signing UFA's, RFA's or internal prospects... has there ever been a time where they showed their moves in any way leading up to a deadline?

I am as curious about future plans as anyone but I don't think there gas been enough predict any moved so far.
The closer Draft day gets the more the pressure build up in the market. Worried about repeats of the good ol Benning days of bad signings because he knew a player. Or just waited to pick over the remainder/leftovers.

Reactions: David71

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
signing petterson to a big tickett contract in march and then trading him 4months later..?
Made him much more valuable than trading a unsigned FA.

I am just watching what Carolina is doing. If they get some kind of deal with Necas or arbitration. That and other signings.
That mid season rumour might have had teeth but the speculation of player terms might have been a deterrent at the time.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Targeting Toffoli as the plan B option is right along the line of targeting Guentzel as the plan A option: It's chasing talent within an immediate window.

They've learned, I think, about overpaying for limited talent options like Mikheyev. I think his signing has indirectly impacted their thinking on Joshua, which is completely fair. The downside risk is apparent. (And was apparent with Mik too)

In saying that, they have to execute on July 1 for it to be worth forgoing the solid in-house option. It's a risk, but I'm ok with them taking that risk to try and get better. Looking out for names like Skinner, Teravainen, Toffoli and Tarasenko...

Looking forward to it.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
After watching SCF I’m extremely excited for next season and what this group can do. Not easy but this group definitely has it in them to win a cup.

Obviously need to keep taking more steps forward, with disappointments and set backs likely along the way.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
signing petterson to a big tickett contract in march and then trading him 4months later..?

It has happened before. Plus the Canucks were reportedly shopping Miller after he signed an extension.

I’m not a fan of that though. Yes it’s a business but I think you lose trust (not that the team can’t recover from it). While I am all for constant evaluation, I also don’t like the idea of management changing their minds when it comes to a player they essentially have max money and term to.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Most likely Mikheyev is bought out and we can't afford to be giving up high draft picks to dump him but there is one possible option I made a thread about a couple weeks ago but it was shut down for "trolling" for some inexplicable reason.

The sweetener would be Adian Celebrini to the Sharks. Perhaps they would value him enough sort of from a marketing aspect and would take Mikheyev back without us retaining.

Worth a try? Or will I get shut down again by Troll Stomper for proposing this outlandish idea?

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's too quiet in Canuck-land. The calm before the storm? Maybe Allvin is working on a blockbuster.

Or maybe most of their UFA's end up walking; and they nibble around the edges with a few second-tier UFA signings.

You just never know......but it's not the track record of Trader Jim Rutherford and his GM Allvin to play it safe.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I was looking over the FA rules and this caught my eye.

Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA)

UFA's are free to sign with any team, and their previous team receives no compensation. UFA's can begin meeting and interviewing with all teams on the day after the Entry Draft (or June 25 at the latest). They cannot sign contracts with new teams until July 1 at 12pm Eastern.

I am sure this may have something to do with the lack of news.
It was yesterday that all FA's on July 1 could "talk" with other teams. So there might be FA's already have (not signed) contracts with other teams.
That would really stir the pot.

How is it that the entire sport has clammed up so much? Hardly a peep of anything doing, not even with the home teams of some of these FAs.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I was looking over the FA rules and this caught my eye.

Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA)

UFA's are free to sign with any team, and their previous team receives no compensation. UFA's can begin meeting and interviewing with all teams on the day after the Entry Draft (or June 25 at the latest). They cannot sign contracts with new teams until July 1 at 12pm Eastern.

I am sure this may have something to do with the lack of news.
It was yesterday that all FA's on July 1 could "talk" with other teams. So there might be FA's already have (not signed) contracts with other teams.
That would really stir the pot.

How is it that the entire sport has clammed up so much? Hardly a peep of anything doing, not even with the home teams of some of these FAs.
Whatever you are reading hasn't been updated. The official "negotiating period" that used to exist was eliminated in the CBA addendum in 2020.

That being said—I am absolutely certain that managers and agents are blurring the line of tampering as much as they can. These deals don't just get signed as soon as the market opens without a lot of wink-winks and nudge-nudges along the way.

Here's an example of such a conversation from my screenplay Guentzel: First Contact:

GENERAL MANAGER'S OFFICE - DAY AFTER PLAYOFF ELIMINATION
The GM sits at his desk, papers and a laptop in front of him. He picks up the phone and dials. The phone rings a couple of times before the Agent answers.
GM
(leaning back in his chair)
I am really hoping to find a 40-goal scoring winger
to play with Pettersson this year. Someone who has
the pedigree of being a playoff performer.
AGENT
(on the other end of the line)
I know of a player like that who might be interested,
but I've heard he's looking for a long-term extension
over nine years.
The GM sits forward, thinking.
GM
I wonder if a player like that is looking to stay in
the eastern conference. He wouldn't just use a western
Canadian team for leverage, would he?
AGENT
No, I think that player would seriously consider
playing in Western Canada.

The third act is a real wild ride. A very disheveled Jim Benning (played by Gene Hackman) holds the room hostage and they almost sign Jason Zucker.

Last edited:
  • Haha

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

They clearly have such a boner for Tanev. They already leaked last year that they were trying to trade for him even though they were going to miss the playoffs. They've leaked that they are trying to trade for Brandon Tanev as an incentive. Now they've leaked that they willing to sign him until he is 40 years old. Perhaps they should just offer him a future role as Sens GM now, too?

I think it's a bit foolish to hang your team's culture on being able to acquire one player who you perceive will fix your culture.

I love Chris Tanev as a player and he seems like a good dude. I do believe he was one of the few adults in the room during the Canucks dark ages. But, take a look at the tire fire that Calgary became— Tanev didn't do anything wrong in that locker-room — but his presence alone certainly didn't cure any of the dysfunction that went on there either. It feels foolish to believe that he would be some savior for the Senators culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad