Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
If no guentzel, with that cap space left:
Zadorov - 5m
Tanev- 3.5 - 4m (canucks discount)

~ 5-6 million left for a winger/s:
Marchessault, stamkos, toffoli ?

Reactions: oceanchild

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
You have to winder if there is still another trade in the works.

Based on the comments at the year-end presser, I just don't think running back the same team with one Top 6 F addition is something mgmt would be happy with.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Based on the comments at the year-end presser, I just don't think running back the same team with one Top 6 F addition is something mgmt would be happy with.

I’d disagree. I think they’re relatively happy with the Miller line and the third line. They want an impact player for Pettersson’s wing and to maintain the size on the blue line.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
honestly starting to worry about being able to fill up the rest of the roster and land a star winger. money seems to be getting tight all of a sudden.

unless they have a surprise trade with Boeser or Garland lined up, but that certainty doesn't fit the theme of 'running it back.'

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
honestly starting to worry about being able to fill up the rest of the roster and land a star winger. money seems to be getting tight all of a sudden.

unless they have a surprise trade with Boeser or Garland lined up, but that certainty doesn't fit the theme of 'running it back.'

They have a boatload of money and only a couple of spots of consequence. They are in a very good space right now.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
My expectation at this point is for Zadorov to hit free agency, find the offers less than he wants, circle back to the Canucks, only for them to have signed Dillon and don't have any room for him.
I agree that if he hits free agency he's 100% not coming back, but there's definitely at least one GM in this league that will happily throw something like 6x6 at him.

It probably won't be a good team, but if all he cares about is getting paid he's gonna get paid.

Reactions: Vector

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Guentzel answered any questions about being a product of Crosby in Carolina this year. Reinhart flopped last year in Florida before resurging this year and has 7 years of not producing at a first line level.

It makes zero sense to ignore these things.
I am not saying to ignore them. But you also can't ignore the context of playing with Crosby who was the 2nd highest even strength scorer in the entire NHL over the last ten years. I just think if you swapped Reinhart and Guentzel then you may see there even strength points also flip.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014

Why wouldn't they be? The results were good, and if we'd been healthy we could have done some real damage. What more do you want?

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
There are potential Canuck winners at the NHL Awards today. Maybe they're holding off on a Zadorov signing announcement in case some of our guys win. Don't want to steal their spotlight.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wonder if we know Jake ain’t coming back and we are moving with to prepare for a secondary target. That or garland and/or Boeser is on the way out. Stamkos would be a great option IMO.

If you don’t get Guentzel you have plenty of room to do other things. Personally I’d still like to see one more NHL-quality right-shot blue liner in that scenario along with a couple scoring wingers.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Wonder if they’d have appetite for that given it seems like he’s going there and they don’t need to penny pinch their cap. Why pay for a privilege (8th year) that they don’t need to do

With Guentzel, it makes sense for us. 8.3 instead of 9.5 would be big

They can do a sign and trade. Would probably cost more than his rights alone though.

this makes way too much sense so i guess the sticking point be the heretofore compensation ask from carolina

8 years of savings of 1.2mill means overall about 9.6mill of savings

anyone got any kinda precedent or value type chart for this kinda dealio?

it is the rare instance where a team can directly take cap off of your hands without actually putting it anywhere

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If the Canucks go after Guentzel and they still need cap space—I wonder if Garland is who they consider moving. He doesn’t PK, hasn’t meshed with Pettersson, and is another diminutive player. He’s a luxury on the third line.

I wonder how management would consider moving on to someone like Martinook instead at $2.0-2.5m less—who would also provide more PK utility.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Canucks are still top-10 in functional capspace (capspace minus projected UFA contract). I have them at 14.49m (LTIR) with a 19/23 roster (Silovs at 1m). If they go with a full 23-man roster and have those last two spots occupied by league minimum guys (1.55m total) that's just under 13m for a top-6 forward and another defenceman. So you could realistically do Guentzel at 9.5 and another defenceman around 3.5m.

Yep. Guentzel and Dillon to round out the remaining holes (with Hoglander and Suter also in the top 6). If they don't land Guentzel I'm not sure that using our remaining money on Zadorov and Tanev is the best option but I guess we'll see how things play out

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
If the Canucks go after Guentzel and they still need cap space—I wonder if Garland is who they consider moving. He doesn’t PK, hasn’t meshed with Pettersson, and is another diminutive player. He’s a luxury on the third line.

I wonder how management would consider moving on to someone like Martinook instead at $2.0-2.5m less—who would also provide more PK utility.
You don't sign joshua just to trade garland a week later

Reactions: Nucker101

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wonder if we know Jake ain’t coming back and we are moving with to prepare for a secondary target. That or garland and/or Boeser is on the way out. Stamkos would be a great option IMO.
That was my thought as well. It will be tough to beat a Carolina offer if they give Guentzel 8 years plus the low tax state advantage.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Why wouldn't they be? The results were good, and if we'd been healthy we could have done some real damage. What more do you want?
More. I want more.

We currently have 3 legitimate Top 6 forwards: JT, EP and Brock.

Suter was a nice fill-in on the Miller/Boeser line but ideally he isn't there FT.

EP has zero legit wingers right now.

Unless they are absolutely convinced Lekk can make the squad, I just don't see one Top 6 winger being enough.

They also need another Top 4 dman.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
If they add Guentzel and Tanev but lose Lindholm, Mikheyev, Zadorov and Cole, the team is better but I’d say only incrementally. A lot will turn on their ability to uncover a diamond in the rough or two to fill out the roster.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Canucks:
-been trying to move Mikheyev since the deadline
-really didn't want to attached a sweetener but the Walman trade forced their hand
-probably going to see them re-sign Zadorov before Guentzel
-game of chicken with Zadorov

Panthers:
-have been trying to sign Reinhart for months
-already have a massive contract on the table; believes it is 8y/9.5m

Lightning:
-Lightning don't have the capspace to give Stamkos what he is looking for
-his understanding is that Stamkos' ask isn't outrageous
-wonders why they acquired McDonagh

Draft:
-league is hopeful that they can convince teams to continue with an in-person draft
-suggests creating individual suites, war rooms, instead of everyone on the draft floor as a compromise
-teams don't like losing 2 days of travel

Jacob Trouba:
-doesn't think it's a lock that he gets moved
-Rangers weighing all of their options
-has positive trade equity

Red Wings:
-wonders if the Red Wings are looking at Trouba
-have been talking to the Ducks about John Gibson

Senators:
-keep an eye on what happens with Chychrun

Avalanche:
-trying to clear money and Colton is the guy they are trying to move

Islanders:
-wonders if there's a chance they buyout or find a taker for Pageau

Marner:
-Maple Leafs intend to play out the year with him
-Maple Leafs need to go out and get a deal first; until they have multiple options there's no reason to ask Marner to waive
-Maple Leafs are talking to teams about him
-doesn't think it will be that difficult to get him to waive
-Maple Leafs don't have any interest in extending him

Utah HC:
-has whispered to some agents that they are looking for guys on 2 and 3 year deals and are willing to pay 6m-7m

Reactions: DarrenX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad