Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I loathe Myers more than anyone but he was legitimately decent for us under Tocchet/Foote. Broke Draisaitl’s ribs too.

That said, wouldn’t be mad if they went in another direction and grabbed Carrier at a decent number. Soucy-Carrier is tough.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Motte was a tier above Lafferty and it wasn’t due to talent. Guy knew his role and what to do on every shift

Lafferty is a decent enough fourth liner (most fourth liners aren't perfect), but when he wasn't hot and scoring, he was pretty much doing nothing.

Motte had the occasional scoring spree, but his game even when he wasn't scoring was excellent. Reliable PKer, all hustle and energy type. I liked him a lot and would certainly welcome him back in a fourth line role for $1M or less, which is about what he should command. But I wonder if that's just wishful thinking on Dhaliwal's part.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I loathe Myers more than anyone but he was legitimately decent for us under Tocchet/Foote. Broke Draisaitl’s ribs too.

That said, wouldn’t be mad if they went in another direction and grabbed Carrier at a decent number. Soucy-Carrier is tough.
Why not both.

Hughes Hronek
Soucy Carrier
Friedman Myers
Juulsen

Or switch Hronek with Carrier if they want Hronek to lead his own pairing. Soooolid.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The issue if Myers walks is you really need two RSD to compensate, since Juulsen is total "blah" and everyone else on the depth chart is a certified minor leaguer or fringe guy like Friedman. You're an injury away to Hronek or the second-pair RSD from disaster.

I will almost guarantee you won't get a guy like Myers who can adequately handle (with a few gaffs) 18-19 minutes at $3M AAV, so you're likely downgrading your right side.

Even if you get Carrier or similar to replace Myers, you're still running some plug on the bottom pair. Myers at $3M was almost like house money for Allvin since he's proven he can handle second-pair minutes with Soucy at a relatively cheap cap hit compared to what you'd have there otherwise.

As mentioned above, ideally you keep Myers and add another RSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think we need to target guys who can generate offense from thr back end. This team relies too much on their forwards and Quinn to get going.

Issue is you'd basically have to do this via trade since the free agent market is barren after Montour. Myers and OEL are literally the next best offensive producers in the UFA market.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
at least guys who can exit the zone and make a breakout pass.

Having both Soucy and Zadorov is redundant. Soucy is on a steal of a contract. If they can aquire Tanev plus another top 4 LHD who can skate and pass, that would be huge for our offense

Hughes-Tanev
LHD-Hronek
Soucy-Myers

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Issue is you'd basically have to do this via trade since the free agent market is barren after Montour. Myers and OEL are literally the next best offensive producers in the UFA market.

Don't even need a producer. Having a guy who can skate, make a decent first pass, and gain zone entry is massive.

Because of the lack of skill on our back end we are literally always dumping and chasing, if one of Hughes or Hronek isn't on the ice.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Don't even need a producer. Having a guy who can skate, make a decent first pass, and gain zone entry is massive.

Because of the of skill on our back end we are literally always dumping and chasing.

You're still looking at a really lean market, Sean Walker would meet this criteria, but sounds like there will be a list of teams after him. Then you're down to the Justin Schultz level guys. Could try to trade for Liljegren I suppose. If they don't go for a guy like Guentzel and spend less on scoring, they could go after one of the bigger defensive UFAs, I guess.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The issue if Myers walks is you really need two RSD to compensate, since Juulsen is total "blah" and everyone else on the depth chart is a certified minor leaguer or fringe guy like Friedman. You're an injury away to Hronek or the second-pair RSD from disaster.

I will almost guarantee you won't get a guy like Myers who can adequately handle (with a few gaffs) 18-19 minutes at $3M AAV, so you're likely downgrading your right side.

Even if you get Carrier or similar to replace Myers, you're still running some plug on the bottom pair. Myers at $3M was almost like house money for Allvin since he's proven he can handle second-pair minutes with Soucy at a relatively cheap cap hit compared to what you'd have there otherwise.

Could not have said it better.

While @wonton15 has competition in the loathing Myers camp, the value at $3m is there.

If you scratch and claw to get Hronek due to positional need, why squander depth at that position needlessly? The fact that they locked Friedman up early speaks to this.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Myers is legit the best option from a performance to dollars perspective. He’d be fine as a 3rd pairing guy that can step up in a pinch.
If they also brought in Carrier and Dillon, Myers would likely be fine. I'm not sure how all the money will be found though.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Guentzel:
-Canucks have penciled him in as their dream acquisition
-Canucks won't go to 10m AAV
-thinks 7y/9.5m

Mikheyev:
-Jake Walman trade will be an outlier
-a bunch of teams were surprised that was the cost
-teams knew or had an inkling Walman was available but there was no bidding war for him
-everyone was surprised by the trade
-Mikheyev will require a similar sweetener as Walman
-enough teams are moderately intrigued by him that there's a deal to be had

Plan B Targets:
-might circle back to the Martin Necas conversation
-doesn't think they are on the list of last 3-5 trade partners

Silovs:
-Canucks trying to preserve every little bit of capspace
-had suggested a team might offer-sheet him
-would be in the 3rd pick offer-sheet range
-thinks part of the problem is order of operations: Guentzel, Zadorov, then Silovs

Zadorov:
-interest in there
-calls this a giant game of chicken
-doesn't think most NHL teams few him as a top-pair defenceman
-thinks he gets probably a 6y/4.75m contract

Dillon/Edmondson:
-can see Dillon
-can see the Canucks being in this market and range

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
soucy can play right side. i don't actually recall it happening this last year though. i remember cole, but at the beginning of the season both were supposed to be the option.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

Guentzel:
-Canucks have penciled him in as their dream acquisition
-Canucks won't go to 10m AAV
-thinks 7y/9.5m

Mikheyev:
-Jake Walman trade will be an outlier
-a bunch of teams were surprised that was the cost
-teams knew or had an inkling Walman was available but there was no bidding war for him
-everyone was surprised by the trade
-Mikheyev will require a similar sweetener as Walman
-enough teams are moderately intrigued by him that there's a deal to be had

Plan B Targets:
-might circle back to the Martin Necas conversation
-doesn't think they are on the list of last 3-5 trade partners

Silovs:
-Canucks trying to preserve every little bit of capspace
-had suggested a team might offer-sheet him
-would be in the 3rd pick offer-sheet range
-thinks part of the problem is order of operations: Guentzel, Zadorov, then Silovs

Zadorov:
-interest in there
-calls this a giant game of chicken
-doesn't think most NHL teams few him as a top-pair defenceman
-thinks he gets probably a 6y/4.75m contract

Dillon/Edmondson:
-can see Dillon
-can see the Canucks being in this market and range

Zad AND Dillon? One of them would have to switch to RD then. And it would be hard to see room for Myers or Carrier if that were the case. I imagine it must be either/or.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Ok ill back off this because i probably overstated it and now it's getting to be overblown and i agree i framed it oddly.

Without a doubt Cammi and Ray would talk about how was work how are things etc and without a doubt Ray being the opinionated guy he is would be interested in hearing some juice and they would have some discussions about players in the show.

I have literally zero way of proving F all so i will just say that Cammi would and should entertain his opinions if so and it would end up with some influence for her own opinions as it's often how opinions are formed.

The team has many higher influences and it's not like they look down the table and ask Cammi waiting on baited breath for her responses i just wouldn't doubt if she has mentioned a name or 2 to look at or someone she's convinced is a good target with some influence from Ray is all.....

flame away..... ill take the L

yes that the guy i had on my list also makes some sense if he doesnt get a good offer elsewhere
There's no L to be taken. Ferraro and Granato are a power couple when it comes to hockey knowledge. It only stands to reason that when you hire one, you probably get some of the wisdom of both. It's a good thing, not mean to undermine Granato as a mouthpiece for Ferraro or anything.

• Love
Reactions: sting101

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If they also brought in Carrier and Dillon, Myers would likely be fine. I'm not sure how all the money will be found though.

They have just over $14M in cap post-Blueger, according to Cap Friendly. They could do that if they don't sign Guentzel. You'd be spending down on forward and it would be tight with Silovs etc. Those three defensemen probably cost $9.5M-$10M. That's of course assuming a ~$3M contract is even on the table for Myers anymore.

Reactions: ziploc

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Zad AND Dillon? One of them would have to switch to RD then. And it would be hard to see room for Myers or Carrier if that were the case. I imagine it must be either/or.

The question wasn't framed as both Zadorov and Dillon but rather if Zadorov is gone as a UFA do they look at this guys.

Personally, the Canucks still need two RDs and really shouldn't go into next season with Juulsen as a regular.

Reactions: ziploc and TruGr1t
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad