Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I Really really think Hoglander gets traded in the next 7 days.

Maybe as a Sweetner with Mikhayev.
Could be, though that opens up yet another hole in the top 6 that we will never be able to fill at the same low cost.

I liked what I saw of Aman when he filled in. Didn't look out of place
I like Aman for what he is: a low-event, defensively-responsible, fairly heavy-playing, shot-blocking pk force. That is a really useful player to have. We just can't rely on him to provide offence, or to centre a line that produces offence.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I liked what I saw of Aman when he filled in. Didn't look out of place

I think the Canucks are hoping he can fill a role like Janmark did with the Oilers. He certainly PKs well, and I think he had a nice showing in the playoffs. A bit more offense in his game would cement him as a full-timer, but I think the Canucks like what they've seen from him thus far.

Reactions: quat and Lindgren

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Why would Cammi need Ray to point that out for her?
Ok ill back off this because i probably overstated it and now it's getting to be overblown and i agree i framed it oddly.

Without a doubt Cammi and Ray would talk about how was work how are things etc and without a doubt Ray being the opinionated guy he is would be interested in hearing some juice and they would have some discussions about players in the show.

I have literally zero way of proving F all so i will just say that Cammi would and should entertain his opinions if so and it would end up with some influence for her own opinions as it's often how opinions are formed.

The team has many higher influences and it's not like they look down the table and ask Cammi waiting on baited breath for her responses i just wouldn't doubt if she has mentioned a name or 2 to look at or someone she's convinced is a good target with some influence from Ray is all.....

flame away..... ill take the L

I've wondered for a bit if the Canucks might look to bring an Abby/Van Tweener into camp to push Silovs for the backup job. Someone like Martin Jones had popped to mind.

yes that the guy i had on my list also makes some sense if he doesnt get a good offer elsewhere

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Why would Cammi need Ray to point that out for her?
1719441529198.png

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

I've wondered for a bit if the Canucks might look to bring an Abby/Van Tweener into camp to push Silovs for the backup job. Someone like Martin Jones had popped to mind.

Drance has been banging on that drum given Silovs’ waiver eligibility and Demko’s historic health, even since Silovs was in the middle of his heater against Nashville

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

I've wondered for a bit if the Canucks might look to bring an backup to push Silovs to the starters role in Abbotsford. Someone like Anthony Stolarz had popped to mind.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, they're clearly going to sign another goalie of some sort. Demko-Silovs-Tolopilo-Young/Lemieux is not nearly enough depth.

Only question is whether it will be a mid-level AHL platoon guy like Sawchenko to split games with Tolopilo with Tolopilo as the callup option or someone like Jones with more experience.

I've wondered for a bit if the Canucks might look to bring an backup to push Silovs to the starters role in Abbotsford. Someone like Anthony Stolarz had popped to mind.

Stolarz is probably getting $3 million+ to be a 1B or maybe even a starter somewhere. Has been one of the best backups in the NHL for the past few years and if we're signing him that means we're trading Silovs.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Ok ill back off this because i probably overstated it and now it's getting to be overblown and i agree i framed it oddly.

Without a doubt Cammi and Ray would talk about how was work how are things etc and without a doubt Ray being the opinionated guy he is would be interested in hearing some juice and they would have some discussions about players in the show.

I have literally zero way of proving F all so i will just say that Cammi would and should entertain his opinions if so and it would end up with some influence for her own opinions as it's often how opinions are formed.

The team has many higher influences and it's not like they look down the table and ask Cammi waiting on baited breath for her responses i just wouldn't doubt if she has mentioned a name or 2 to look at or someone she's convinced is a good target with some influence from Ray is all.....

flame away..... ill take the L

yes that the guy i had on my list also makes some sense if he doesnt get a good offer elsewhere
I’m not even trying to call you out on being sexist or anything, I don’t think you intended it that way. I just think it’s a really odd take.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Alex Burrows was a bottom-6 nobody until he wasn't.
Chris Tanev was a 5D with no shot until he wasn't.

Sometimes you have to adjust to new information and Dakota Joshua was an absolutely fantastic player for this team last year and full value for producing at a 2nd line rate from 3rd line minutes. It wasn't an accident, and if anything he looked like a guy who might have more to give further up the lineup.

Guentzel is a guy who has scored at an 85 point/82 pace over the last 5 years and a 95 point pace last year. He's 2 years younger than Toffoli and just a totally different level of player. Toffoli started last year hot on a line with Jack Hughes and then once Hughes got hurt he looked like a shadow of his former self. There is an enormous gap between those players. One is signing a gamebreaker and the other is signing an Eriksson/Neal/Backes/Nielsen and hoping they creak their way to another 50-point season.

Mikheyev was fine on a 2nd line even with 1 knee last year. Post-knee surgery, he fell apart.

Even when Allvin comes out and says his mistake was thinking Mikheyev was a top6 player, he was "fine on the 2nd line". Yeah... The same mistake over and over again.

The level is different between Guentzel and Toffoli, but the mode is the same. They are not grinding, do-it-all types that are limited to ES scoring. We don't ignore PPPs when evaluating them. They get PP time and are placed alongside legitimate top6 players because they think the game in the same way. They have the talent to create shot generation, not ride crazy shooting percentages to career years due to unexpected chemistry. They are deserving of their spots higher in the line-up and they do little in the way intangibles/utility. It's the same thinking for both, only the degree is different.

Sure, there is an adjustment to new information, but we also can't succumb wholly to recency bias. That's the Mikheyev mistake. If you want to think Joshua's career year is his new baseline, fill your boots, but it may in fact just be that: A career year. Meanwhile, scoffing at a proven scorer that is 1 year removed from 48 ESPs is... well, you're welcome to it.

Alex Burrows was great. But for however many Alex Burrows there have been, there's a veritable mountain of projects upon the failed NHL top6 scrap heap. Mikheyev just joined it. Because, you know, exceptions don't make the rule.

Reactions: Tact

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yeah, they're clearly going to sign another goalie of some sort. Demko-Silovs-Tolopilo-Young/Lemieux is not nearly enough depth.

Only question is whether it will be a mid-level AHL platoon guy like Sawchenko to split games with Tolopilo with Tolopilo as the callup option or someone like Jones with more experience.

Stolarz is probably getting $3 million+ to be a 1B or maybe even a starter somewhere. Has been one of the best backups in the NHL for the past few years and if we're signing him that means we're trading Silovs.

Yeah - I think Silovs is their projected guy for the backup position, but I also think they're going to want someone with some pro experience in Abbotsford / someone who can viably push Silovs for the gig rather than just handing it to him on a silver platter when he's played all of 20~ NHL games.

Definitely don't see us going after a premium backup like Stolarz.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Blueger done.

Now we need Mikheyev gone, Joshua at <3.5, Myers at 2, Zad at 4.5, Dillon at 2, Silovs at <1, and a stud W for EP at whatever is left.

C'mon you cowards, get it done.

I think Myers is next.

With what people are projecting RHDs to get in FA, I think they hedge against getting shut out there and bring him back for 2 years.

I think it’s extremely unlikely that this is happening to any significant degree.

He has said the same thing about Joshua on 3 different occasions by my count, and 1 time unprompted.

I agree, the degree may not be significant, but he's relaying a type of thinking that is common between them, imo.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't think Myers will be back. Think we're going in a different direction.

You know, there was some intel on the radio yesterday about them moving away from Myers. You could be right. I'm just looking at him as the only other player willing to take a pay cut to stay. Thus far, that's the only type of FA they've signed: Blueger.

If they don't re-sign him, they must be confident about getting a top4 RHD in free agency.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yes that would be why I'm interested in him and have been since he was in Anaheim.

I thought the same last year then he signed cheap again with Florida to be a backup, so maybe he takes a 200% increase with a bit of term to be 1B right here, especially with demkos Injury concerns.

Makes sense for both sides, silovs still the first backup if any Injuries occur like they always do, but certainly not any more unlikely than the other guesses before monday.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Well, he brings speed, PK ability and he’s tenacious. He drove the 3rd line as well. Only issue was him staying healthy.

Anyone watch him lately? Has his performance dropped since leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad