Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Chaos Undivided

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: mathonwy

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
damn kunin would have been a nice pickup for physicality bottom lines. i think garland is on the way out tbh. cant have 2 small fowards in him/hoglander in the top 6.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I can understand why Zadorov and his agent want to test the full, open UFA market on July 1st. Always a possibility and even a probability that some team will give him and his client stupid money. And at age 29, this might he his final chance to hit a home-run in free agency.

I suppose there's always a chance he could still double back on the Canucks--but somehow that seems unlikely. With what he brings to the table, he'll be all but impossible to replace.

But that's the risk of expending draft capital to acquire rentals at the trade deadline. Although both Lindholm and Zadorov were acquired a month or so prior to the deadline, they were still only around for 20 games and a total of 13 playoff games.

We probably won't find a player as big as Zads or one who hits as hard but we can certainly replace him with a player who has better hockey IQ, better defence, and smart decision making, as well as a better offensive player, who doesn't take boatloads of dumb penalties. Some people here are making him into a Heiskanen or something which he is no where near. He's a #5 dman. We'll be fine without him.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Excerpt about Guentzel situation tonight from Josh Yohe, a beat writer in Pittsburgh:

Jake Guentzel will become a sought-after man on Monday if he declines the Carolina Hurricanes’ latest contract offer.

It’s no secret that teams will be lining up for the 29-year-old’s services if he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

New Carolina general manager Eric Tulsky told The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun on Wednesday that the Hurricanes are attempting to bring Guentzel back to Raleigh.

“We’re trying very hard on that one,” Tulsky said.

Carolina has one advantage: The Hurricanes can offer Guentzel an eight-year deal because they were his most recent employer. The longest deal other teams can offer Guentzel is seven years.

That won’t stop them from trying.

There’s no question that Carolina is in the mix, but what if Tulsky and Guentzel’s agent, Ben Hankinson, can’t agree to a deal?

Other teams are lining up, one louder than the others.

The Vancouver Canucks are eager to sign Guentzel and have made moves in recent days to clear salary for it. The Canucks currently have around $12 million in cap space, already have 18 players signed on their roster for next season and have the flexibility to create more cap space if necessary. Team and league sources have confirmed Vancouver’s interest in Guentzel.

That comes as no surprise. The Pittsburgh ties in Vancouver are everywhere, from team president Jim Rutherford to general manager Patrick Allvin to coach Rick Tocchet and many others.

The Canucks were highly interested in Guentzel when the Penguins made him available via trade last season. However, they acquired Elias Lindholm before Guentzel became available, which kept them from making Penguins president/GM Kyle Dubas a reasonable offer for Guentzel.

Everything is different now, as the Canucks hold out hope that Guentzel will decide to head to the open market instead of Carolina. The Canucks would love to add Guentzel, a point-per-game player and one of the most prolific playoff goal scorers of his generation, to an already loaded top six that includes J.T. Miller, Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser.

Guentzel was a major figure on the Penguins’ 2017 Stanley Cup team as a rookie, with Tocchet serving as an assistant coach on that team. Moreover, Guentzel has long been one of Rutherford’s favorites. The former Penguins general manager signed Guentzel to his most recent contract five years ago and has spoken affectionally — publicly and privately — about Guentzel for many years.

The Canucks believe they have a Stanley Cup window for the next few years and think Guentzel is a player who can theoretically put them over the top.

Vancouver, of course, isn’t the only potential destination for Guentzel.

The New York Rangers are very eager for his services. They were bidding for Guentzel in March, when Dubas ultimately opted to do business with the Hurricanes. A Stanley Cup contender that reached the Eastern Conference final this past season, the Rangers are looking to clear salary space. The Athletic’s Arthur Staple and Peter Baugh report that the Rangers have asked captain Jacob Trouba for his 15-team no-trade list before Monday — largely in an attempt to persuade Guentzel to play the next several seasons in Manhattan.

Many other teams are interested in Guentzel, including the Chicago Blackhawks and the Dallas Stars. Guentzel’s representation expects to hear from several other teams come Monday, if he’s available.

What about the team that drafted him?

The Penguins, as things stand, couldn’t realistically offer Guentzel a contract. They have only around $10 million in cap space and, unlike the Canucks, who are pretty close to fielding an NHL roster already, the Penguins still have considerable work ahead simply to fill out their roster. They still must sign restricted free agent P-O Joseph, which will take away another small chunk of their salary space.

While Guentzel would be open to returning to Pittsburgh, the finances don’t add up.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5600679/2024/06/28/jake-guentzel-nhl-free-agent-penguins-trade/

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

This doesn’t particularly concern me. There are defensive options in FA, and I’m actually fine with them going cheaper on the left side behind Hughes-Soucy to allocate more on the right. I’d take a pass on Dillon anyway if his AAV approaches $3M or goes over. Especially if some team is offering him over 2 years.

Reactions: Vector

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
Excerpt about Guentzel situation tonight from Josh Yohe, a beat writer in Pittsburgh:
Jake Guentzel will become a sought-after man on Monday if he declines the Carolina Hurricanes’ latest contract offer.
It’s no secret that teams will be lining up for the 29-year-old’s services if he becomes an unrestricted free agent.
New Carolina general manager Eric Tulsky told The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun on Wednesday that the Hurricanes are attempting to bring Guentzel back to Raleigh.
“We’re trying very hard on that one,” Tulsky said.
Carolina has one advantage: The Hurricanes can offer Guentzel an eight-year deal because they were his most recent employer. The longest deal other teams can offer Guentzel is seven years.
That won’t stop them from trying.
There’s no question that Carolina is in the mix, but what if Tulsky and Guentzel’s agent, Ben Hankinson, can’t agree to a deal?
Other teams are lining up, one louder than the others.
The Vancouver Canucks are eager to sign Guentzel and have made moves in recent days to clear salary for it. The Canucks currently have around $12 million in cap space, already have 18 players signed on their roster for next season and have the flexibility to create more cap space if necessary. Team and league sources have confirmed Vancouver’s interest in Guentzel.
That comes as no surprise. The Pittsburgh ties in Vancouver are everywhere, from team president Jim Rutherford to general manager Patrick Allvin to coach Rick Tocchet and many others.
The Canucks were highly interested in Guentzel when the Penguins made him available via trade last season. However, they acquired Elias Lindholm before Guentzel became available, which kept them from making Penguins president/GM Kyle Dubas a reasonable offer for Guentzel.
Everything is different now, as the Canucks hold out hope that Guentzel will decide to head to the open market instead of Carolina. The Canucks would love to add Guentzel, a point-per-game player and one of the most prolific playoff goal scorers of his generation, to an already loaded top six that includes J.T. Miller, Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser.
Guentzel was a major figure on the Penguins’ 2017 Stanley Cup team as a rookie, with Tocchet serving as an assistant coach on that team. Moreover, Guentzel has long been one of Rutherford’s favorites. The former Penguins general manager signed Guentzel to his most recent contract five years ago and has spoken affectionally — publicly and privately — about Guentzel for many years.
The Canucks believe they have a Stanley Cup window for the next few years and think Guentzel is a player who can theoretically put them over the top.
Vancouver, of course, isn’t the only potential destination for Guentzel.
The New York Rangers are very eager for his services. They were bidding for Guentzel in March, when Dubas ultimately opted to do business with the Hurricanes. A Stanley Cup contender that reached the Eastern Conference final this past season, the Rangers are looking to clear salary space. The Athletic’s Arthur Staple and Peter Baugh report that the Rangers have asked captain Jacob Trouba for his 15-team no-trade list before Monday — largely in an attempt to persuade Guentzel to play the next several seasons in Manhattan.
Many other teams are interested in Guentzel, including the Chicago Blackhawks and the Dallas Stars. Guentzel’s representation expects to hear from several other teams come Monday, if he’s available.
What about the team that drafted him?
The Penguins, as things stand, couldn’t realistically offer Guentzel a contract. They have only around $10 million in cap space and, unlike the Canucks, who are pretty close to fielding an NHL roster already, the Penguins still have considerable work ahead simply to fill out their roster. They still must sign restricted free agent P-O Joseph, which will take away another small chunk of their salary space.
While Guentzel would be open to returning to Pittsburgh, the finances don’t add up.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5600679/2024/06/28/jake-guentzel-nhl-free-agent-penguins-trade/
Reminds me of the time Artemi Panarin headed to FA (and we got hyped by him liking an IG post about coming here) only for him to get snatched by the Rangers anyway.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I am currently over Hudson Bay and I’m starting to wonder if the Chef has turned off the gas.

there really is nothing else i wanna watch on so i too am into this draft hoohaaaaa and my takeaway is

is the putin factor starting to trump the russian factor?

N E buddy else?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This doesn’t particularly concern me. There are defensive options in FA, and I’m actually fine with them going cheaper on the left side behind Hughes-Soucy to allocate more on the right. I’d take a pass on Dillon anyway if his AAV approaches $3M or goes over. Especially if some team is offering him over 2 years.

2y/2.8m projecting seems fair and what I’d be willing to offer. If someone is willing to go longer and/or more then so be it.

Reactions: TruGr1t

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

Honestly 3Mx8 feels kinda fair for player & team in terms of total money and salary fit. Certain fit, still a good team, early retirement, and would never hear a bad word from anyone in Tampa.

But also seems pretty easy to beat 8Mx3 on the market, tax aside.

i'd happily go 3x6.2 for stamkos. 3x8 maybe after doing homework. i think you'd get at least one good year. put jt miller in the bumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad