Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let ‘im cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Agreed on Duclair being a nice add, I think he'd look great alongside Petey. No clue what SJ would expect for him though.

Also, despite his slower game tonight, my god would Filip Forsberg be perfect on EP's wing. I was baffled when they re-signed him last off season given the team's clear position as a Seller, but he's been great this season.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
So I only missed him there but have him in my bigger list. I'm only looking at who's available from the bottom 12 teams in the league. He kind of falls through the cracks on my more focused lists.

Also...

How about Nick Jensen?

Caps right side is a bit crowded with Bear signing

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
How about Nick Jensen?

Caps right side is a bit crowded with Bear signing

He’s taken a pretty big step back this season and is signed too long. I liked him a few weeks ago but got pushback, looked deeper, and came away not liking him as a target.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
If you offer Zadorov term he gets no trade protection and around $4 million with the Cap rising isn’t out of the question. He replaces Cole’s money on the roster and you have the ability to move him if money/fit becomes a problem.

In year 4/5/6 the cap will have risen enough to make it a non factor. You construct the contract to be buyout friendly and tradeable.
The team is 7-1-1 since Zadorov arrived. I think there's something there.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It’s amazing how both our best streaks of the season coincide with having a stable partner for Myers that settles his game and helps cover for his spastic moments. First Soucy, then Zadorov.

Usually, you'd label those series of moves as panic trades but they seem so calculated and opportunistic. It's amazing how it all worked out they way it did. Two pretty minor trades, in terms of assets going out, that have solidified the Canucks playoff spot.

Reactions: ziploc

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Would love to add another second pairing right side D (who wouldn't) but I almost wonder if the Kuz situation makes getting Petey a legit winger more of a priority. Man I hope the kid bounces back.....

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Would love to add another second pairing right side D (who wouldn't) but I almost wonder if the Kuz situation makes getting Petey a legit winger more of a priority. Man I hope the kid bounces back.....
I think they are somewhat related. Moving Myers creates some cap space that can possibly be parlayed into an upgrade on EP's line and maybe a more efficient RD as well. But it is playing with fire to mess with chemistry right now. Myers and his contract (and to a degree Garland as well) are "luxuries" we can currently afford for depth purposes, but if an upgrade needs to be made in the top 6 then something will have to give.

I am guessing they are going to see how the D stacks up when Soucy is back. It is very, very solid, and Juulsen as the 7th guy isn't the liability he was at the beginning of the year as well. And I'm guessing they will give Kuz a bit of time to work things out.

But there is a possible solution out there. If they don't see Kuz in their future, and aren't liking what he brings to the table right now, they could unload him for an asset and bring in Kessel to replace his scoring for this year. Kessel brings a lot of experience and is familiar with Tocchet. It is a possible way of increasing cap efficiency without losing production. But that is total speculation and probably not fully realistic.

Reactions: Chiripa20 and Flik

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
When Soucy is back I am really liking our D, despite Myers and his bloated everything. It has size, snarl, speed and skill.

It's crazy how big/physical our blueline suddenly is, from where it was for basically the entirety of the last 9 years.

Reminds me of the 91-94 teams a bit where you had Lumme (and later Brown) surrounded by Murzyn/Babych/Diduck/Dirk.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
It's crazy how big/physical our blueline suddenly is, from where it was for basically the entirety of the last 9 years.

Reminds me of the 91-94 teams a bit where you had Lumme (and later Brown) surrounded by Murzyn/Babych/Diduck/Dirk.
Even at the end of his career, Babych was an absolute beast. so freaking strong on the boards it was almost impossible to take the puck from him....and if he pinned a guy, that guy might as well have been nailed there with railroad spikes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Even at the end of his career, Babych was an absolute beast. so freaking strong on the boards it was almost impossible to take the puck from him....and if he pinned a guy, that guy might as well have been nailed there with railroad spikes.

Yeah, he had Old Man Strength in spades. Every once in a while some young guy would grab him in a fight or a scrum and find it out the hard way.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I think I'm opposed to getting a legit winger for Pettesson because it sounds expensive and very servicable wingers have been falling off trees for the last few seasons. I'd rather aim a bit lower and get someone for a middling pick than go big game hunting. A right handed defensive stalwart for the blue line is what would really solidify this team, imo. It's where the roster is the thinnest.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
1703092931585.png

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Yeah I remember watching a 38 year old Babych play for Philadelphia against the Canucks at the tail end of his career and being astonished at how he would ragdoll some of our forwards.

Crazy to think he could have played even longer had the Flyers not screwed his career up: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/dave-babych-wins-injury-lawsuit-1.304723

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
I think I'm opposed to getting a legit winger for Pettesson because it sounds expensive and very servicable wingers have been falling off trees for the last few seasons. I'd rather aim a bit lower and get someone for a middling pick than go big game hunting. A right handed defensive stalwart for the blue line is what would really solidify this team, imo. It's where the roster is the thinnest.
I think we just need to keep playing Kuzzy with Pettersson. Just let him play.Remember last year he was a rookie,,,,rookies do go with slumps in there Second year...I am not one for trading him..

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Chris Johnston, not at the Athletic, updated his trade board today.

At #11 is Andrei Kuzmenko.

Teams are calling on a winger who has seemingly fallen out of favor with Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet.

Kuzmenko’s ice time is down more than a minute per game this season and he’s recently been deployed on the fourth line. That’s a steep drop-off for a player who had 39 goals and 74 points in his first full NHL campaign. That production was fueled by an unsustainably high 27.3 percent shooting percentage, but still, his skating is an asset and he’s clearly shown an ability to create offense when given the opportunity to do so.

The Canucks are having a strong season and don’t necessarily need to move Kuzmenko, but they may opt to part with his $5.5 million cap hit in order to upgrade another area of their roster. He’s signed through next season, so the 27-year-old isn’t a rental.

1) Elias Lindholm
2) Chris Tanev
3) Noah Hanifin
4) Jake Allen
5) Sean Walker
6) Nick Seeler
7) Tyson Barrie
8) Sean Monahan
9) Anthony Duclair
10) Adam Henrique
11) Andrei Kuzmenko
12) Antti Raanta
13) Kaapo Kajkonen
14) Morgan Frost
15) Philip Broberg
16) Mike Matheson
17) Adam Boqvist
18) Andrew Peeke
19) Jake Guentzel
20) Jordan Eberle
21) Tyler Johnson
22) Pat Maroon
23) Anthony Mantha
24) Ilya Lyubushkin
25) Rasmus Ristolainen
26) Tony DeAngelo
27) Matt Dumba
28) Jakub Vrana
29) Alexander Barabanov
30) John Gibson

It may be slim pickings this trade deadline.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Teams are calling on a winger who has seemingly fallen out of favor with Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet.

Kuzmenko’s ice time is down more than a minute per game this season and he’s recently been deployed on the fourth line. That’s a steep drop-off for a player who had 39 goals and 74 points in his first full NHL campaign. That production was fueled by an unsustainably high 27.3 percent shooting percentage, but still, his skating is an asset and he’s clearly shown an ability to create offense when given the opportunity to do so.

The Canucks are having a strong season and don’t necessarily need to move Kuzmenko, but they may opt to part with his $5.5 million cap hit in order to upgrade another area of their roster. He’s signed through next season, so the 27-year-old isn’t a rental.

11) Andrei Kuzmenko

I hope they are working with Kuz, and give him a chance back on the top line. We are having a bunch of guys have career years; you are always going to have 1 or 2 guys that aren't even when you are having the best season in over 10 years.

I also want to see Podz Get a chance. I still think there is a damn good player there, and he is now 22. I think he is going to have a decent career, better than most people presently project him. Like a 2nd line winger scoring 25 - 30 and driving other teams nuts.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I also want to see Podz Get a chance. I still think there is a damn good player there, and he is now 22. I think he is going to have a decent career, better than most people presently project him. Like a 2nd line winger scoring 25 - 30 and driving other teams nuts.

I can't remember if it was Allvin or Johnson but one of them said that they will only call up Podkolzin when they are confident he's earned a full-time spot. They want guys to get a tonne of confidence in the AHL first.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I hope they are working with Kuz, and give him a chance back on the top line. We are having a bunch of guys have career years; you are always going to have 1 or 2 guys that aren't even when you are having the best season in over 10 years.

A developed and confident Podkolzin seems like exactly what Tocchet wants on the roster. Despite his past struggles I'm still very confident he'll find a regular spot on this team.

I can't remember if it was Allvin or Johnson but one of them said that they will only call up Podkolzin when they are confident he's earned a full-time spot. They want guys to get a tonne of confidence in the AHL first.
I think it was Rutherford when he was on Donny and Dhali last week.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

1) Elias Lindholm
2) Chris Tanev
3) Noah Hanifin
4) Jake Allen
5) Sean Walker
6) Nick Seeler
7) Tyson Barrie
8) Sean Monahan
9) Anthony Duclair
10) Adam Henrique
11) Andrei Kuzmenko
12) Antti Raanta
13) Kaapo Kajkonen
14) Morgan Frost
15) Philip Broberg
16) Mike Matheson
17) Adam Boqvist
18) Andrew Peeke
19) Jake Guentzel
20) Jordan Eberle
21) Tyler Johnson
22) Pat Maroon
23) Anthony Mantha
24) Ilya Lyubushkin
25) Rasmus Ristolainen
26) Tony DeAngelo
27) Matt Dumba
28) Jakub Vrana
29) Alexander Barabanov
30) John Gibson

Chef Allvin is getting the top three for Kuzmenko, Myers and Cole

• Haha
Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad