Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Difference between 9.5x7 and 8.25x8 is 500k
True. It's hard to predict what his most lucrative offer will be and what his priorities are. I just think we'll see silly season actually return now that the flat cap era is expected to be a thing of the past so it wouldn't shock me if a team offers him like 10x7

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We can totally accommodate a Guentzel contract and re-sign some of our pending FAs, too, and field a team.

The quality of those FAs and which ones they are would likely depend quite heavily on Allvin's ability to offload Ilya Mikheyev.

The Rangers have placed Barclay Goodrow on waivers today. Have to figure that's a precursor to a buyout. He was about $1M less per year than Mikheyev, but has an extra year on his deal. And he had a really nice playoff after a dreadful regular season. Can't feel like that bodes well for our attempts to move Mikheyev.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I highly doubt it's a question of term. Lindholm clearly wasn't signing here outside of severe overpayment to play third fiddle to Miller and Pettersson, and Joshua and Zadorov appear to be looking at the top range of their salary estimates ($4M AAV Joshua / $6M AAV Zadorov). They would be even more screwed if they capitulated on these cap numbers (or even slightly lower deals like $3.5M+ Joshua / ~$5M Zadorov) and hamstrung themselves to keep portions of this group together, with no outlet for improvements due to the cap. You'd pretty much lock yourself into taking a step back next year, whereas they are looking to improve.
I disagree the whole point of the term is to get players to resign and to reduce the cap burden.
For example, if you offer Lindholm 7M for 8 years virtually no other team would match this (56M).

Leaving money to sign new FA's.

But the extra term makes the transaction work.

I am not sure about you but I don't care about the existential threat, 8 years into the future especially if it enables the team to compete for a Cup for 5 years and they include the possibility to buy the contracts out in the last 3 years.

(also it is fun spending Aquilini's money)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I disagree the whole point of the term is to get players to resign and to reduce the cap burden.
For example, if you offer Lindholm 7M for 8 years virtually no other team would match this (56M).

The extra term makes the transaction work.

I am not sure about you but I don't care about the existential threat, 8 years into the future especially if it enables the team to compete for a Cup for 5 years and they include the possibility to buy the contracts out in the last 3 years.

(also it is fun spending Aquilini's money)

It really doesn't matter if Lindholm wasn't all that particularly interested in signing here, which seems to be the case. You'd probably have had to go 8x8 plus to get him to stay. I wouldn't at all be surprised if people are a bit pissed about Lindholm's eventual contract, as I think he'll end up signing something a bit more reasonable elsewhere for the opportunity to play top-line minutes.

Reactions: racerjoe

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
We can totally accommodate a Guentzel contract and re-sign some of our pending FAs, too, and field a team.

The quality of those FAs and which ones they are would likely depend quite heavily on Allvin's ability to offload Ilya Mikheyev.

The Rangers have placed Barclay Goodrow on waivers today. Have to figure that's a precursor to a buyout. He was about $1M less per year than Mikheyev, but has an extra year on his deal. And he had a really nice playoff after a dreadful regular season. Can't feel like that bodes well for our attempts to move Mikheyev.
Mgmt is delusional if they think they can trade Mik without giving up something.

It's either:
A. Trade for another crap contract
B. Add an asset to move him
C. Buy him out

Given everything going on, it depends on what exactly is the add the Option B.

Cause there's no chance they can go into next season with Mik.

Best case is likely Option A to acquire a player on a similar cap hit but on a 1 year deal. That and someone who can atleast contribute (3C, Bottom 6D).

Reactions: Izzy Goodenough

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Mgmt is delusional if they think they can trade Mik without giving up something.

It's either:
A. Trade for another crap contract
B. Add an asset to move him
C. Buy him out

Given everything going on, it depends on what exactly is the add the Option B.

Cause there's no chance they can go into next season with Mik.

Best case is likely Option A to acquire a player on a similar cap hit but on a 1 year deal. That and someone who can atleast contribute (3C, Bottom 6D).

Could also retain, if we have a cheap replacement coming in then we could retain and still come out better for it.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It really doesn't matter if Lindholm wasn't all that particularly interested in signing here, which seems to be the case. You'd probably have had to go 8x8 plus to get him to stay. I wouldn't at all be surprised if people are a bit pissed about Lindholm's eventual contract, as I think he'll end up signing something a bit more reasonable elsewhere for the opportunity to play top-line minutes.
Again Allvin said Lindholm stated in his exit meeting that he wanted to return.

Presently a 7M salary would be 8% of the total 88M Cap.

In eight years if the cap goes up by 5% per year it will hover around 130M making Lindholm's proposed 7M salary only 5% of the total cap in the last year of an 8 year term.

To me the risk is lower than the general perspective.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Pretty much agree with everything here, but Goodrow is a very palatable buyout, and likely a better option than trying to pay to dump or make a retained trade. The Rangers actually gain cap space this season for buying him out.

Mikheyev is a tougher buyout to swallow, as the largest buyout hit coincides with the largest hit of the OEL buyout.

Reactions: biturbo19

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Who are some low budget speedy/skilled forwards we can target in free agency or trade. Not interested in someone like Kapanen who is all speed but 0 skill or awareness.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Again Allvin said Lindholm stated in his exit meeting that he wanted to return.

Presently a 7M salary would be 8% of the total 88M Cap.

In eight years if the cap goes up by 5% per year it will hover around 130M making Lindholm's proposed 7M salary only 5% of the total cap in the last year of an 8 year term.

To me the risk is lower than the general perspective.

That doesn't really mean anything. All we know is the Canucks gave up on retaining him early, and the contract in Boston will probably have ink dry on it the first day of free agency. He was obviously asking for more than they were willing to pay to stay here, and I'd wager it was above $7M AAV.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The question is how they're going to afford Reinhart after the sign Guentzal. 😎

Tbh I don't like what a Goodrow buyout means for the possibility of trading Mikheyev or even moving Garland (if they decide/need to go down that road). I guess they have less term and Rangers are in a corner.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The question is how they're going to afford Reinhart after the sign Guentzal. 😎

Tbh I don't like what a Goodrow buyout means for the possibility of trading Mikheyev or even moving Garland (if they decide/need to go down that road). I guess they have less term and Rangers are in a corner.

Big difference is Goodrow has another year on his contract. Higher cap hit for Mikheyev but Goodrow is longer and is owed more actual cash.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Based on the more solid rumours out there at the moment.

RFAs:
Hronek - 7.5m
Silovs - 1.0m

UFAs:
Guentzel - 9.5m
Dillon - 2.8m
Myers - 2.75m
Blueger - 2.2m

Suter-Pettersson-Boeser
Hoglander-Miller-Guentzel
???-Blueger-Garland
PDG-Aman-Podkolzin
Mikheyev

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Dillon-???
Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

Cap Space: 1.78m
Roster: 20/23

Moving Mikheyev would increase the capspace to around 6.5m for 4 spots. 2 of those spots would be regulars and the other two healthy scratches. I wouldn't be surprised if Linus Karlsson is signed to a one-way near-minimum contract and is the 13th forward or they bring in someone like Jost on the same contract.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks should sign the 1 guy they really want and then wait awhile and find bargains later in free agency to fill out their roster. Patience has proven to be effective in free agency picking up players that significantly drop their asking price as time passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad