Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I don't think those are remotely comparable situations.

One guy took the bag to Bali and did stair workouts all summer and couldn't play defense to save a drowning child. The other guy played on a blown out knee for half a season before finally shutting it down to try and be in shape for training camp.

I'm sure even Kuzmenko's friends understood him being shipped out.

kicking the other guy to the curb because his recovery timeline didn't fall into the best case scenario category might be received differently.
Recall that it was rumoured that Joshua came into camp out of shape....

Reactions: biturbo19

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jesus if Joshua's number is below 4 you take that deal wtf

I swear to god, this management has been competent and made some good decisions, but I fear that we have some friendly deals on the table with our expiring contracts and they are being ignored in favour of dreams of a big fish like Guentzel who probably is not coming here

Yeah, you don't want to 'do an Ohtani' like the Blue Jays did this winter. Blow your wad as an outside contender on the biggest fish while everything else goes unaddressed, and then not get the big fish anyway.

Dakota Joshua scored 40 points in 76 games this year with basically 0 PP time. If he can continue on the trajectory he's on, ~$3 million is insane value. The guy was basically an above-average 2nd line player this year at ES while also being great on the PK and one of the most physical forwards in the NHL.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Friedman on The Jeff Marek Show.

Time stamp 26:00

Canucks:
-thinks Lindholm is out
-Zadorov is most likely out but won't call that officially done
-framework of a Myers deal there
-trying to figure out exactly where the Canucks are going

Senators:
-looking at goal and defence
-have been interested in Tanev for a long time
-report the other day about Mathieu Joseph being available
-wonders if they would acquire Brandon Tanev to unite the brothers

Red Wings:
-some indication that Yzerman is looking at goalies

Golden Knights:
-doesn't seem like they can re-sign Stephenson
-are talking to Marchessault
-thinks they'll be in on Marner if he becomes available

Hurricanes:
-so much flexibility
-has a deal done with Slavin
Would be an interesting Joshua replacement. Also he adds a speed element that Joshua does not possess.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I know there's still 2 weeks until free agency...but it sure feels like they're dropping the ball with some of these rumors coming out. Hoping to replace all these impact players on July 1st feels like a recipe for disaster.

SCF hasn't even ended yet. One other player across the entire league has be re-signed to a new contract (Chatfield) and there's been one trade (McDonagh).

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Yeah, you don't want to 'do an Ohtani' like the Blue Jays did this winter. Blow your wad as an outside contender on the biggest fish while everything else goes unaddressed, and then not get the big fish anyway.

Dakota Joshua scored 40 points in 76 games this year with basically 0 PP time. If he can continue on the trajectory he's on, ~$3 million is insane value. The guy was basically an above-average 2nd line player this year at ES while also being great on the PK and one of the most physical forwards in the NHL.
Hoglander with Miller and Boeser

Joshua and Garland with Pettersson.

6 quality defenders with Juulsen and someone else as 7/8.

retain some cap flexibility.

land the fish in February if we're rolling.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Would be an interesting Joshua replacement. Also he adds a speed element that Joshua does not possess.

He also doesn't possess the same ability to read a play like Joshua does, isn't as physical, or have that net front presence. Like you said, he has excellent speed. Is a very good forechecker, penalty killer, and is signed for under 3m for another season after this one.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Recall that it was rumoured that Joshua came into camp out of shape....
Yes, I remember how slow and lazy he looked in preseason and for the first few games of the season. I was going to rip my hair out because we all knew what he’s capable of, but he wasn’t hitting or skating for a while.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
SCF hasn't even ended yet. One other player across the entire league has be re-signed to a new contract (Chatfield) and there's been one trade (McDonagh).
Yes but hearing over and over again how the Canucks want to pay less than 3M for Joshua, and Zadorov is willing to take a little less to stay here but the Canucks aren't close is just...discouraging.

Joshua seems like a such a no-brainer as well. It's not like he's asking for 4-5M.

Edit: also the SCF not even ending yet means nothing since they keep pushing the season back further each year :laugh: IT'S MID JUNE ALREADY DAMN IT

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

The big thing for me is that they can keep the current Joshua at a fair contract and have an impact player, and they can also "find the next Joshua" too, we have room in the bottom six, but moving on from Joshua at a team friendly contract means a significant downgrade and we arent finding a player with a similar impact for cheap in any way

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yes but hearing over and over again how the Canucks want to pay less than 3M for Joshua, and Zadorov is willing to take a little less to stay here but the Canucks aren't close is just...discouraging.

Joshua seems like a such a no-brainer as well. It's not like he's asking for 4-5M.

I would take this information with a huge grain of salt. I highly doubt the Canucks are balking at paying Joshua $3M AAV, if they are comfortable at $2.5M AAV. That doesn't really jive. I can see them being sceptical at $3.5M AAV+ possibly, but more likely he's hearing he can get $4M AAV on the market and is waiting to hear what other teams will offer him.

Zadorov I do think they're hesitant on paying $5M AAV, which I sort of get given the sample. Lindholm I don't get the impression he was ever enthused on playing third fiddle to Miller and Pettersson, so I don't think outside of huge overpayment that was ever in the cards.

They are in a tough spot that most of their UFAs will be highly coveted. I think most of this you can just lay down to all these guys vested interest is in hearing what the market will offer them, and outside of straight up overpayment ahead of July 1st (which management won't do), the players aren't particularly motivated to sign anything.

The one guy I'm getting legit concerned about is Hronek, as I think signs are pointing to him being unrealistic in his contract demands, which not only makes him hard to sign, it tanks his trade value.

Reactions: racerjoe

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Definitely in agreement with you here. If his number starts with a 3, you sign it and run laughing to the bank, IMO. Even if he ends up capping out as a 15-goal, 30-point, physical two-way forward, that's excellent value.

I get that this regime is a bit ruthless and plays hardball...but they need to be careful not to blow up a lot of the goodwill they've developed.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Friedman on The Jeff Marek Show.

Time stamp 26:00

Canucks:
-thinks Lindholm is out
-Zadorov is most likely out but won't call that officially done
-framework of a Myers deal there
-trying to figure out exactly where the Canucks are going

Senators:
-looking at goal and defence
-have been interested in Tanev for a long time
-report the other day about Mathieu Joseph being available
-wonders if they would acquire Brandon Tanev to unite the brothers

Red Wings:
-some indication that Yzerman is looking at goalies

Golden Knights:
-doesn't seem like they can re-sign Stephenson
-are talking to Marchessault
-thinks they'll be in on Marner if he becomes available

Hurricanes:
-so much flexibility
-has a deal done with Slavin
Kind of strange they can't re-sign Stephenson at roughly $6m, but will be in on Marner who has a cap hit of over $10m...

If they get Marner, I guess Stone will stay the whole season on LTIR then. I wonder what's his "injury" will be this time around, but I'm 100% sure he will be magically cleared to play by game 1 of next playoff.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Definitely in agreement with you here. If his number starts with a 3, you sign it and run laughing to the bank, IMO. Even if he ends up capping out as a 15-goal, 30-point, physical two-way forward, that's excellent value.

I get that this regime is a bit ruthless and plays hardball...but they need to be careful not to blow up a lot of the goodwill they've developed.

Exactly. Even if he's 'only' a 12-15 goal, 25-30 point highly physical 3rd liner with PK utility going forward ... ~$3 million is still solid market value for that. As a downside.

If he maintains his level of performance from this season or keeps improving (if, say, he ends up on Pettersson's wing) then $3 million and change would be an absolute steal.

This should be the easiest f***ing signing of the summer and I'll be legitimately pissed if they mess it up because they think that 'signing the next Dakota Joshua' is some easy thing and have gotten over-confident in their scouting prowess.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Kind of strange they can't re-sign Stephenson at roughly $6m, but will be in on Marner who has a cap hit of over $10m...

If they get Marner, I guess Stone will stay the whole season on LTIR then. I wonder what's his "injury" will be this time around, but I'm 100% sure he will be magically cleared to play by game 1 of next playoff.

This has Vegas written all over it. They will absolutely kick a good vet (Stephenson) to the curb to chase a hot commodity (Marner).

If it happens, it'll be Vegas Jedi-mind-tricking Toronto and some other 3rd party broker into eating large chunks of Marner's cap hits. That they got Hanifin for the rest of this season at only 25% of his cap hit was absolutely insane.

Reactions: biturbo19

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Exactly. Even if he's 'only' a 12-15 goal, 25-30 point highly physical 3rd liner with PK utility going forward ... ~$3 million is still solid market value for that. As a downside.

If he maintains his level of performance from this season or keeps improving (if, say, he ends up on Pettersson's wing) then $3 million and change would be an absolute steal.

This should be the easiest f***ing signing of the summer and I'll be legitimately pissed if they mess it up because they think that 'signing the next Dakota Joshua' is some easy thing and have gotten over-confident in their scouting prowess.

Exactly. Especially in a rising cap environment. A price tag starting at 3 for a guy that contributes that level (and hopefully more) of offense while being solid defensively, a stout PKer, a physical handful and a good team guy is very quickly going to be viewed as a bargain.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The big thing for me is that they can keep the current Joshua at a fair contract and have an impact player, and they can also "find the next Joshua" too, we have room in the bottom six, but moving on from Joshua at a team friendly contract means a significant downgrade and we arent finding a player with a similar impact for cheap in any way

Yup.

Signing a guy for $800k and then having him break out like this is something that might happen to an NHL team once a decade. The last time it happened to us was ... probably Burrows?

You can't just write it off and think that 'oh, signing the next Joshua for $1 million is an easy alternative to paying him'. It doesn't work that way.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Edit: also the SCF not even ending yet means nothing since they keep pushing the season back further each year :laugh: IT'S MID JUNE ALREADY DAMN IT

The NHL tells teams not to announce trades and signings while the SCF is still ongoing. Additionally, the first buyout period is 48 hours after the SCF which is the big kick off for moves to get made.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
For reference: 3 players ranked in and around the FRP they apparently wasted on Elias Lindholm:

Any of these assets would have been better than acquiring a player you realistically could not resign.

Asset management was the Achilles Heal of the last management group and if it goes down as now predicted, the new lot will be out of their honeymoon period and looking like the"We ran out of time" show.

Bleak, but this time with no draft assets.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Exactly this. They seem to be a bit overconfident in their abilities to find players for the cheap. I think the chances that we have the next Dakota Joshua on the roster and playing up to that in the next 2-3 years is very low. Just think about how few prospects, reclamation projects, etc. that profile to be the next Dakota Joshua. Even if we get them on our roster how many will develop properly? Slim at best to actually replace him in the next 2 years. Besides our window is now. We need a Dakota Joshua now, not in 2-3 years.

Yup. It’s a supply and demand thing. If you can easily replace a player than play hardball all day. But if there is high demand and low supply for a type of player it is absolutely insane to be playing hardball if they can be had for a reasonable deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hansen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: