Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
The 2 teams in the SCF right now have both traded for rentals in recent seasons, failed to win the cup and then let the rentals walk for nothing. Yet both teams are in the SCF right now. It's going to happen to one of them again, likely Edmonton with 1 or both of Henrique/Carrick.

who did florida let walk? they only made one minor deal in 2023 and it was del zotto for givani smith. this year they might lose tarasenko but they only paid 2 3rds for him. not a huge loss

edmonton acquired bjugstad and ekholm last year but bjugstad was acquired for a journeyman minor leaguer and a 3rd and ekholm had 2.5 seasons left on his deal. this year they gave up a first for the rentals henrique and carrick but the cost was almost all in the double retained cap on henrique

it's not really the same situation

i liked the lindholm deal at the time but in retrospect they overpaid. vegas gave up substantially less for hertl and he came with term and san jose retained. they also gave up less for a double retained hanifin who they managed to resign

carolina got guentzel (the best player on the market) for way, way less and colorado got a 25 year old rfa for what some would argue is similar cost to what vancouver gave up for lindholm

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
A few little tidbits from Dhaliwal after the Friedman interview:

-Canucks have thought about Brenden Dillon as a Zadorov replacement
-a lot of work to do with Myers before that deal gets done
-Joshua number starts with a 3m but Canucks are not getting to his number
-is a little bit surprised they have not signed anyone
-trying to make trades, free up capspace, & trade Mikheyev
-need to include a sweetener with Mikheyev
-thinks Guentzel is on the Canucks' radar; Guentzel had the Canucks on his list of places he wanted to go at the trade deadline
They (management) have been leaking these same points for a while and telegraphing what they intend to do pretty obviously. Walk from Lindholm and Zadorov -> sign Dillon to replace toughness, free up Mikheyev space to do more, get Myers to 2.5-3m, take a hard run at Guentzel, circle back to Myers/Blueger/Joshua?

Joshua in the 3’s isn’t actually bad if we continue to run Garland there. That’s guaranteed chemistry and we can run Suter/Blueger in 3C. I’d do it if Joshua would, but understandably someone will throw 4-5m at him.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Worst Case Ontario:

View attachment 883612

It is hard to believe that they didn't get a better idea they could resign the guys they traded for.

Maybe this management group is just average.

This Ron Hughes is just a completely dense idiot catering to a losing hockey team fanbase desperately looking for some upside. The Canucks didn't gamble big and lose. Lindholm was a known rental for a first place hockey team with serious playoff ambitions. Seriously, only the ignorant of cap space understanding thought he would/could be re-signed. It was clearly stated at the time that it would be nice to retain him but Rutherford and Allvin also realized it was quite likely and realistic that he would not be re-signing. Did you not pay attention when we acquired him in the first place? They clearly stated it. They knew exactly what they were doing and Lindholm provided great value and importance when it mattered most.

Kuzmenko is a lazy bum and will score some goals while giving away just as many while being on a losing hocky team. Brzustewicz may or may not play any NHL games, his defence is very poor at this point. We also cleared $5.5 mil getting rid of Kuz and the first is a very late one. That's how TDL hockey trades work. Ho-hum. Turn the page.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
They (management) have been leaking these same points for a while and telegraphing what they intend to do pretty obviously. Walk from Lindholm and Zadorov -> sign Dillon to replace toughness, free up Mikheyev space to do more, get Myers to 2.5-3m, take a hard run at Guentzel, circle back to Myers/Blueger/Joshua?

Joshua in the 3’s isn’t actually bad if we continue to run Garland there. That’s guaranteed chemistry and we can run Suter/Blueger in 3C. I’d do it if Joshua would, but understandably someone will throw 4-5m at him.

Pretty much. I think they'll have Blueger signed before free agency as well so they don't have to pivot. Joshua is probably contingent on what they can do about Mikheyev.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
@credulous Extremely minor point but how is Michael Kesselring a journeyman minor leaguer? He was a 23 year old RD that ended up being a regular this season.

he was like the 7th or 8th guy on the coyotes depth chart and mostly got time because dermott, stetcher and brown couldn't stay healthy (and dumba was traded).

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Kevin Stenlund has impressed me with the Panthers. Former 2nd round pick. 6'5 Centre and very good defensively and on the PK. He's definitely the big body, 2 way Centre type that Toch and Management like.

Reactions: Jerry the great

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
he was like the 7th or 8th guy on the coyotes depth chart and mostly got time because dermott, stetcher and brown couldn't stay healthy (and dumba was traded).

Yeah but describing a 23 RD who had only been in the Oilers organization as a journeyman minor-leaguer isn't accurate. Ended up being a better player than everyone you listed too.

Or whatever, it's not worth going back and forth over him. He'll probably be pushed out of the line-up this season if Utah makes the changes he wants to make. I just get weird when a player is described as a journeyman when they very much aren't. I'd have him at mid-tier prospect.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Kevin Stenlund has impressed me with the Panthers. Former 2nd round pick. 6'5 Centre and very good defensively and on the PK. He's definitely the big body, 2 way Centre type that Toch and Management like.
yup. All of the defensive stuff that Lindholm can do, Strenlund could do as well. He's often out there in key moments. This playoff run probably doubled what he'll make on his next deal though.

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Yeah but describing a 23 RD who had only been in the Oilers organization as a journeyman minor-leaguer isn't accurate. Ended up being a better player than everyone you listed too.

Or whatever, it's not worth going back and forth over him. He'll probably be pushed out of the line-up this season if Utah makes the changes he wants to make. I just get weird when a player is described as a journeyman when they very much aren't. I'd have him at mid-tier prospect.

maybe. i'm not trying to denigrate him i just don't think he has any real trade value. certainly not compared to brzustewicz

anyways, i'm not calling for management to resign for their shameful deadline performance but i think they've cycled through a ton of players at not insubstantial cost in the last two seasons and that's not really a sustainable strategy. the picks and prospects start to dry up eventually and if you're letting the players you acquired walk for free (or worse, paying to get rid of them as is rumoured with mikheyev and some would argue was the case with kuzmenko) you're uncomfortably close to falling off a cliff imo

very few good teams make pure rental deals for premiere players in the current nhl mostly because there's usually alternatives that preserve asset value (like hertl, mittelstadt, ekholm or hampus lindholm a few deadlines ago) or are just cheaper to acquire (guentzel, tarasenko)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Stanley cup winning 4th line Center, he’s going to get paid, Jay Beagle special

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Stanley cup winning 4th line Center, he’s going to get paid, Jay Beagle special
Bleuger was that too and we got him "cheap"

If Stenlund is available for around 1.5mil-2mil then id be very interested, especially if were going to lose guys like Lindholm, Bleuger, and Joshua from our PK.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He had pretty clearly passed all of those guys by the end of the season (Stecher obviously was traded).

Kesselring was 23 years old last year and a 6'4 RHD playing top-4 minutes by the end of the season. He isn't remotely a 'career minor leaguer'.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Very curious what the grand plan is here. All I hear is we don't have the money to keep said player and they are willing to take a discount.

So then where the hell are we going to find these players to replace them that will offer improved play for less cash?

Like others have said, it's a bad look for the dressing room when you walk away from key guys wanting to stay.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Very curious what the grand plan is here. All I hear is we don't have the money to keep said player and they are willing to take a discount.

So then where the hell are we going to find these players to replace them that will offer improved play for less cash?

I'm starting to be a little concerned management is getting too caught up on term. I'll lose a lot of hype for Allvin and co if we lose our UFAs because they wouldn't budge on an extra year or 2, assuming the dollar amount was fair, of course.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A few little tidbits from Dhaliwal after the Friedman interview:

-Canucks have thought about Brenden Dillon as a Zadorov replacement
-a lot of work to do with Myers before that deal gets done
-Joshua number starts with a 3m but Canucks are not getting to his number
-is a little bit surprised they have not signed anyone
-trying to make trades, free up capspace, & trade Mikheyev
-need to include a sweetener with Mikheyev
-thinks Guentzel is on the Canucks' radar; Guentzel had the Canucks on his list of places he wanted to go at the trade deadline

ARGH

SIGN HIM NOW

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Jesus if Joshua's number is below 4 you take that deal wtf

I swear to god, this management has been competent and made some good decisions, but I fear that we have some friendly deals on the table with our expiring contracts and they are being ignored in favour of dreams of a big fish like Guentzel who probably is not coming here

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
who did florida let walk? they only made one minor deal in 2023 and it was del zotto for givani smith. this year they might lose tarasenko but they only paid 2 3rds for him. not a huge loss

edmonton acquired bjugstad and ekholm last year but bjugstad was acquired for a journeyman minor leaguer and a 3rd and ekholm had 2.5 seasons left on his deal. this year they gave up a first for the rentals henrique and carrick but the cost was almost all in the double retained cap on henrique

i liked the lindholm deal at the time but in retrospect they overpaid. vegas gave up substantially less for hertl and he came with term and san jose retained. they also gave up less for a double retained hanifin who they managed to resign

carolina got guentzel (the best player on the market) for way, way less and colorado got a 25 year old rfa for what some would argue is similar cost to what vancouver gave up for lindholm
Uhh Claude Giroux and Ben Chiarot.

My point was also never about the TDL price it was about being comfortable with letting rentals walk even if you paid a decent amount to acquire them.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

maybe. i'm not trying to denigrate him i just don't think he has any real trade value. certainly not compared to brzustewicz

anyways, i'm not calling for management to resign for their shameful deadline performance but i think they've cycled through a ton of players at not insubstantial cost in the last two seasons and that's not really a sustainable strategy. the picks and prospects start to dry up eventually and if you're letting the players you acquired walk for free (or worse, paying to get rid of them as is rumoured with mikheyev and some would argue was the case with kuzmenko) you're uncomfortably close to falling off a cliff imo

very few good teams make pure rental deals for premiere players in the current nhl mostly because there's usually alternatives that preserve asset value (like hertl, mittelstadt, ekholm or hampus lindholm a few deadlines ago) or are just cheaper to acquire (guentzel, tarasenko)
The really hard part of evaluating the Canucks deadline vis a vis other teams is trying to figure out what value or negative value Kuzmenko had. Because he's a guy making five plus million with another year left on his deal and had been healthy scratched (multiple times, I think) by Tocchett. So the trades are you are referencing are not analogous because we didn't see the seller taking on a significant contract that may or may not have been a negative value contract.

But I do agree that good teams find a way to trade futures for players that are not just pure rentals, in the end.

On Joshua, I don't really care what the rumours are, I really can't see Joshua not taking the highest contract available to him on July 1st based on his career and age. And I really can't see the Canucks being the team to offer him that contract based on their current cap situation.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Jesus if Joshua's number is below 4 you take that deal wtf

I swear to god, this management has been competent and made some good decisions, but I fear that we have some friendly deals on the table with our expiring contracts and they are being ignored in favour of dreams of a big fish like Guentzel who probably is not coming here
It’s interesting because while Zadorov and Joshua are both players who seem willing to sign team friendly deals, even those deals (as rumoured) require you to put a lot of weight onto their most recent performance. I think there are good signs to justify both but maybe the team doesn’t feel the same way.

Suspect they may also be a bit gun shy after seeing both Mikheyev and Kuzmenko blow up after signing big deals after big years.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
ARGH

SIGN HIM NOW

Agreed. If we lose Joshua because he wants to test the market and some team gives him 5m than that’s understandable. But if he is willing to sign for 3m+, and management doesn’t bring him back would be a huge mistake. That’s a very reasonable price, he was producing like a top 6er last year, and his size is really hard to replace.

Management has done an excellent job of turning us around and getting rid of the Jim Benning stench. I do find it concerning that their priority seems to be winning moneyball with every contract rather than putting the best team together. I’ll wait to see how the offseason unfolds though. They’ve earned the benefit of the doubt for now.

Reactions: MS

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Friedman on The Jeff Marek Show.

Time stamp 26:00

Canucks:
-thinks Lindholm is out
-Zadorov is most likely out but won't call that officially done
-framework of a Myers deal there
-trying to figure out exactly where the Canucks are going

Senators:
-looking at goal and defence
-have been interested in Tanev for a long time
-report the other day about Mathieu Joseph being available
-wonders if they would acquire Brandon Tanev to unite the brothers

Red Wings:
-some indication that Yzerman is looking at goalies

Golden Knights:
-doesn't seem like they can re-sign Stephenson
-are talking to Marchessault
-thinks they'll be in on Marner if he becomes available

Hurricanes:
-so much flexibility
-has a deal done with Slavin

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Friedman on The Jeff Marek Show.

Time stamp 26:00

Canucks:
-thinks Lindholm is out
-Zadorov is most likely out but won't call that officially done
-framework of a Myers deal there
-trying to figure out exactly where the Canucks are going

Senators:
-looking at goal and defence
-have been interested in Tanev for a long time
-report the other day about Mathieu Joseph being available
-wonders if they would acquire Brandon Tanev to unite the brothers

Red Wings:
-some indication that Yzerman is looking at goalies

Golden Knights:
-doesn't seem like they can re-sign Stephenson
-are talking to Marchessault
-thinks they'll be in on Marner if he becomes available

Hurricanes:
-so much flexibility
-has a deal done with Slavin
We can unite the brothers too!

Actually, a Mikheyev and a second for Brandon Tanev might be a good deal if Seattle is at all interested.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
It’s interesting because while Zadorov and Joshua are both players who seem willing to sign team friendly deals, even those deals (as rumoured) require you to put a lot of weight onto their most recent performance. I think there are good signs to justify both but maybe the team doesn’t feel the same way.

Suspect they may also be a bit gun shy after seeing both Mikheyev and Kuzmenko blow up after signing big deals after big years.
I don't think those are remotely comparable situations.

One guy took the bag to Bali and did stair workouts all summer and couldn't play defense to save a drowning child. The other guy played on a blown out knee for half a season before finally shutting it down to try and be in shape for training camp.

I'm sure even Kuzmenko's friends understood him being shipped out.

kicking the other guy to the curb because his recovery timeline didn't fall into the best case scenario category might be received differently.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium