Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Exactly. From that list, probably only Carrier and Tanev are realistic options to land in Vancouver.

The options become limited very fast, and getting Hronek signed to a fair deal becomes much more attractive.

Why do you think this? I see no real reason why the Canucks wouldn’t be an intriguing option for DeMelo or Roy, as examples. Good team with a strong coaching staff in an attractive city and top-4 playing time next to Quinn Hughes.

Obviously going the free agent route is extremely uncertain. None of us, at this point, can claim to have any knowledge what the free agent market landscape will look like.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
So ignore most of the names here, it was more about assigning a cap hit to a position. I just wanted to see what we could do if we kept Zadorov and Lindgolm

I like the idea of being strong down the middle and loading up one side of the defence strong like Tamp did in their run.

After doing the exercise Probably better to downgrade on Lindholm and keep Zadorov. Maybe if you can get him to come in under the 6 mil I have him here it would fit more, but I wanted to put it at a high number for the exercise.

View attachment 875717

After signing Zadorov and Dakota, I would actually explore that trade with Carolina for KK. It is for sure a risk, but see if he can work with Joshua and Garland, and if not its such a cheap buyout... Hogs and Mik for him? Gives you more room too for Petey's wing and adding a real RHD.

Still want to play around a bit, but thats where I would start.
You want KK to center our fourth line at 4.8M? Also I'm assuming we are trading Hoglander for Morrow (doubt they would do this).

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Why do you think this? I see no real reason why the Canucks wouldn’t be an intriguing option for DeMelo or Roy, as examples. Good team with a strong coaching staff in an attractive city and top-4 playing time next to Quinn Hughes.

Obviously going the free agent route is extremely uncertain. None of us, at this point, can claim to have any knowledge what the free agent market landscape will look like.
I don't really view Vancouver as an "attractive" city to Americans (like Roy). And many Americans write-off Canada completely, just off the bat. I don't think he would absolutely refuse to sign in Vancouver, but I see no advantage Vancouver would have over other competitive clubs, and would likely have to pay a premium.

Demelo has pretty much been chronically underpaid his whole career, and I think will want to get full value. Again, I'm not saying he would refuse to sign with the Canucks, but I'm saying I don't think it's realistic because Vancouver likely has to pay full market value (or a premium) and I don't think they're in a position where they can do that.

I like both players. I don't see them choosing Vancouver out of the other suitors they will have, especially given if they just want money they will certainly have better offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

fans here underestimate how much worse travel from vancouver/edmonton/calgary/winnipeg is than from the rest of the nhl. if you are from the boston area or detroit area or minnesota area you're looking at a full day travel to get back "home" from from the canadian west (and then a full day to get back). if you're in toronto or montreal or any of the us markets you're no more than a five hour flight from where ever you want to be (in north america at least, latvians got other problems)

the reason luongo was so much more willing to play in toronto than vancouver is because you can head to the airport at 5pm in toronto and be in miami for bedtime. you want to leave from vancouver and make it to miami for bedtime? your flight is leaving at 8am

some players are gonna care more about this than others but there's a real penalty to living in vancouver if the center of your life is in ann arbor or chelmford or burnsville

my partner and i relocated from the midwest to nevada largely because we both have aging parents on the west coast and we were making frequent trips "home" that were just killing us in terms of time. now i can wake up in vegas and decide to be in vancouver and be there by lunch time instead of having to plan ahead and maybe getting to vancouver for dinner the next day

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
He'll pretty easily get a $3M x 3 from a lower-tier team without cap issues, if he wants to go that route. A contender probably can't give him that.

Exactly. From that list, probably only Carrier and Tanev are realistic options to land in Vancouver.

The options become limited very fast, and getting Hronek signed to a fair deal becomes much more attractive.

There's absolutely no way of knowing where they'll end up, obviously. The nice thing is I don't see a screaming deal there, and most of those guys are relatively comparable on the right-side. The issue is there's not a lot of offense there outside of Montour, clearly, so you're still lacking the puck-mover if you make the swap.

I really don't see an issue replacing Hronek with any combination of any two of them.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Zucker probably signs for much cheaper this year, he didn’t appear to have a great year statistically. He probably signs for around $2.5-3 mill x 1 year, but I wouldn’t do that personally.
Doubt he goes for that cheap.

Zucker at 2.5/3M for one year is an easy yes for me. Zucker looked great in the postseason against us.

The year before he had 27 goals and 48 points in 78 games with Pittsburgh.

Zucker at 2.5/3M is basically the forward version of Ian Cole this year. I think that's a safe bet for a positive surplus - stick him on Petey's wing and he should be good bet for around 20g 25a IMO. Middle six production for 2.5M would be a steal.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
There's absolutely no way of knowing where they'll end up, obviously. The nice thing is I don't see a screaming deal there, and most of those guys are relatively comparable on the right-side. The issue is there's not a lot of offense there outside of Montour, clearly, so you're still lacking the puck-mover if you make the swap.

I really don't see an issue replacing Hronek with any combination of any two of them.
I'm not saying I know where they'll end up. I'm saying that I don't see any of them other than Tanev giving any kind of preference to Vancouver, if the offers from multiple teams are all roughly market value.

And yeah, you lack the offensive element if you go from Hronek to one or more of the UFA list. Montour and the projected deal there I would stay faaaaar away from.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Doubt he goes for that cheap.

Zucker at 2.5/3M for one year is an easy yes for me. Zucker looked great in the postseason against us.

The year before he had 27 goals and 48 points in 78 games with Pittsburgh.

Zucker at 2.5/3M is basically the forward version of Ian Cole this year. I think that's a safe bet for a positive surplus - stick him on Petey's wing and he should be good bet for around 20g 25a IMO. Middle six production for 2.5M would be a steal.
Yeah I could be off, I could see him also getting $3-4 million x 2-3 years as well, which would be a bad gamble imo. He never struck me as a great defensive player so if his offence continues to dry up, he’s not a great contributor.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm not saying I know where they'll end up. I'm saying that I don't see any of them other than Tanev giving any kind of preference to Vancouver, if the offers from multiple teams are all roughly market value.

And yeah, you lack the offensive element if you go from Hronek to one or more of the UFA list. Montour and the projected deal there I would stay faaaaar away from.

That's the nice thing, there is actually a decent selection of RH defensemen on the market this year, that's only eight of them. You can get one of those guys for Hughes, keep Myers, and then there's a fairly good list to pick from for the bottom pair to bump Juulsen off. Offense will be the challenge, but Hronek was not exactly producing over the back half of the year anyway.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't really view Vancouver as an "attractive" city to Americans (like Roy). And many Americans write-off Canada completely, just off the bat. I don't think he would absolutely refuse to sign in Vancouver, but I see no advantage Vancouver would have over other competitive clubs, and would likely have to pay a premium.

Demelo has pretty much been chronically overpaid his whole career, and I think will want to get full value. Again, I'm not saying he would refuse to sign with the Canucks, but I'm saying I don't think it's realistic because Vancouver likely has to pay full market value (or a premium) and I don't think they're in a position where they can do that.

I like both players. I don't see them choosing Vancouver out of the other suitors they will have, especially given if they just want money they will certainly have better offers.

Do you mean DeMelo was underpaid or overpaid?

I mean Vancouver is literally attractive. It’s a beautiful city. I don’t think the American thing is a big deal given the make-up of the team. Agreed that Tanev is the only player that would give preference but that’s based on what we know. For a lot of guys, we have no real idea what Roy or DeMelo’s preferences are.

fans here underestimate how much worse travel from vancouver/edmonton/calgary/winnipeg is than from the rest of the nhl. if you are from the boston area or detroit area or minnesota area you're looking at a full day travel to get back "home" from from the canadian west (and then a full day to get back). if you're in toronto or montreal or any of the us markets you're no more than a five hour flight from where ever you want to be (in north america at least, latvians got other problems)

the reason luongo was so much more willing to play in toronto than vancouver is because you can head to the airport at 5pm in toronto and be in miami for bedtime. you want to leave from vancouver and make it to miami for bedtime? your flight is leaving at 8am

some players are gonna care more about this than others but there's a real penalty to living in vancouver if the center of your life is in ann arbor or chelmford or burnsville

my partner and i relocated from the midwest to nevada largely because we both have aging parents on the west coast and we were making frequent trips "home" that were just killing us in terms of time. now i can wake up in vegas and decide to be in vancouver and be there by lunch time instead of having to plan ahead and maybe getting to vancouver for dinner the next day

Oh I know how bad it is. It’s been continuously been brought up for many years. Part of the reason I chose DeMelo as an example is because he’s coming from Winnipeg. We just don’t know what most players’ individual preferences are.

For both of you, there are some guys we can infer: Brady Skjei won’t be interested. But for mid-tier guys there’s often several factors at play that we, literally us on this message board, over analyze into fact.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Do you mean DeMelo was underpaid or overpaid?

I mean Vancouver is literally attractive. It’s a beautiful city. I don’t think the American thing is a big deal given the make-up of the team. Agreed that Tanev is the only player that would give preference but that’s based on what we know. For a lot of guys, we have no real idea what Roy or DeMelo’s preferences are.

’s often several factors at play that we, literally us on this message board, over analyze into fact.
Yes, definitely meant underpaid. That was a brain-to-text slip up. We don't know what other players' preferences are, but there is nothing to go off that would give Vancouver any kind of leg up. They'd probably be paying full market value, if they can land them. And I don't think they get much (or any) surplus value out of this group of players if they pay full freight.

Again, my view is that over the spectrum of NHL locales, Vancouver is not particularly attractive. Americans do frequently pass over Canadian cities, though with mass of Americans the Canucks have right now, that is likely less of a factor. There are cities with better weather, better taxes, less travel, and much less scrutiny.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yes, definitely meant underpaid. That was a brain-to-text slip up. We don't know what other players' preferences are, but there is nothing to go off that would give Vancouver any kind of leg up. They'd probably be paying full market value, if they can land them. And I don't think they get much (or any) surplus value out of this group of players if they pay full freight.

Again, my view is that over the spectrum of NHL locales, Vancouver is not particularly attractive. Americans do frequently pass over Canadian cities, though with mass of Americans the Canucks have right now, that is likely less of a factor. There are cities with better weather, better taxes, less travel, and much less scrutiny.

I mostly took umbrage with your idea of realistic signees being very narrow. Of all the free agents, Tanev and Myers are pretty much the only two where I think the Canucks would get some sort of discount. Every one else would get market price but that would be true for the other teams. All the other factors are in consideration but specific to the individual so unless we know something (or can reliably infer) about the player, it’s just opinion.

It’s an interesting time for the Canucks and this UFA market. I’ve always contested that the most appealing factor for a free agent is winning. Canucks have finally seemed to turn the corner. Personally, I think that may end up being an x-factor for the team. At least help counteract some of the negatives.

Reactions: Flik

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I really don’t see the Canucks paying for a Jason Zucker type. I agree with the Drance take that they need to add elite talent to the top-six or else the Tocchet system will always struggle to score.

Ok, let me throw a name out there to consider… Patrick Kane. Besides the personality/Chicago history—the player profile would be a real interesting fit for this top-six and its powerplay.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I really don’t see the Canucks paying for a Jason Zucker type. I agree with the Drance take that they need to add elite talent to the top-six or else the Tocchet system will always struggle to score.

Ok, let me throw a name out there to consider… Patrick Kane. Besides the personality/Chicago history—the player profile would be a real interesting fit for this top-six and its powerplay.
There’s a better chance OEL comes back than the Nucks signing Kane.

f*** that guy.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Normally I'd say yes to that. But the human side of me says anyone from Kyle Beach incident era can go choke on a cock.

This goes way beyond just hockey, a disgusting piece of shit of an organization harboring nothing but filth and maggots.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Demelo has pretty much been chronically underpaid his whole career, and I think will want to get full value. Again, I'm not saying he would refuse to sign with the Canucks, but I'm saying I don't think it's realistic because Vancouver likely has to pay full market value (or a premium) and I don't think they're in a position where they can do that.

Yeah. It's kind of a weird thing to suggest, given the heavily "American" content of this current Canucks team. :laugh: But they've largely got them either via trade, draft, etc. and had them decide they like the place after all, like the team or group or coaches...or we're talking about guys further down the pecking order who tend to have a lot less potential deals on the table, to where their own options are more narrowed. Or both. :laugh:

Where i think it becomes a bigger factor is when you start talking about some of those "bigger ticket" RHD that everyone and their mother are looking to acquire. That's where they'll have a bundle of offers on the table and can afford to be a little more "picky" about things...for their own convenience, potential earnings relative to cost of living, etc.

Yeah. This is a big factor. It's not just even just about how long it takes to get "home" across the country if that's where your life and family, etc. are largely centered.

When these players sign big UFA deals...they move their families to the new city. But because of the travel schedule for the Canucks (and the Alberta teams)...the players are simply "away from home" on the road a lot more days during the season. During the summer? Who cares...they'll go "home" to train and do whatever. But during the season...you're going to get spouses and young families that aren't going to be keen on getting left alone for long stretches in "rainy dreary grey Vancouver" all winter. Especially not if their family and support networks are established back on the other side of the continent.

It's a beautiful city...but it's certainly not for everyone. Especially not through the winter. I don't think it's a complete coincidence the franchise has often had a very Scandinavian flavour.

Vancouver is also among the highest "cost of living" cities in the NHL at large. Which yes, these are guys signing multimillionaire contracts...but they're also potentially signing their last big paydays, where every extra million in the bank and invested can make a big difference to them in the long-run.

There are just a whole host of reasons that may not completely "exclude" Vancouver from consideration for everyone, but will absolutely cross it off the list for certain players, and put us in a somewhat disadvantaged negotiating position with others.

We've also had some that have gone out of their way to sign there because they adore the city, the province, grew up there, etc. So it's certainly not all doom and gloom. But there tend to be certain players that even we as fans can glean, might be more (or less) interested in the city/team.

Yeah. I've got a really bad feeling about what the Montour deal is going to end up looking like. Wherever he signs it, but particularly if it's not in Florida. He's really never been more than an offensive 4/5 tweener at best defenceman with glaring holes in his game...outside of the Florida Panthers. Maybe that's a real "late bloomer" finally figuring it out. But you're likely talking about #1D money with regrettable "retirement years" tacked on the end with term. That's an enormous gamble. Especially when a guy can go from "late bloomer" directly to "oh wow he's starting this 7-year deal at age 30 already? :scared:

That's the nice thing, there is actually a decent selection of RH defensemen on the market this year, that's only eight of them. You can get one of those guys for Hughes, keep Myers, and then there's a fairly good list to pick from for the bottom pair to bump Juulsen off. Offense will be the challenge, but Hronek was not exactly producing over the back half of the year anyway.

Yeah. It's not that Hronek was a superlative offensive generator (in the back half especially)...but he is still one of two real puck movers on this defence corps last year. So if you're moving him...you need to be replacing that. We need more of that...not less.

A lot of these "options" are not that bad at moving the puck. Even Tanev with zero offensive juice, can still move the puck efficiently.

But the other element of replacing this "offensive ability" on the back end...is that you do still kinda need somebody to dither around on that 2nd Powerplay unit. They don't play a ton...but you still need someone who can man that point and at least pass the puck around and get it through to the net. Doesn't necessarily even have to be a Right Hand Shot. But if your LHD are going to be Hughes-Zadorov-Soucy...it kind of does have to be somebody that'll be playing the right side. Since i don't think Zaddy is really cut out for it despite his shot, and Soucy certainly isn't.

So it's another wrinkle to "replacing" Hronek to think about.

I do think that a handful of those UFA options might be enough to do the trick. They don't have to me a PPQB Maestro...just...competent. Or maybe you go out on the secondary trade market to find a guy...even to just fill that bottom-pairing or Myers role. Needs to be accounted for somewhere in the mix though, just as the PK has to be kept in mind with any of these changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I wonder if that hypothetical Necas/Hronek VAN/CAR deal may include swapping negotiating rights—CAR gets exclusivity with Lindholm, VAN gets exclusivity with Pesce.
Lindholm famously has beef with Carolina so I doubt that'll be a thing.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I wonder if that hypothetical Necas/Hronek VAN/CAR deal may include swapping negotiating rights—CAR gets exclusivity with Lindholm, VAN gets exclusivity with Pesce.
Many saying Pesce has lost a step kind of makes me shy away from giving him dollars and term since he's already 29 turning 30 in Nov. I think we should target trading for a younger RHD to pair with Hughes if were trading Hronek at all.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
29 is the new 25.

I have watched Pesce a ton.

He is a very solid RHD and I wonder why Carolinians won't resign him for the 5M he is rumoured to be asking for.

He would look great along side Zadorov or even Hughes.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
29 is the new 25.

I have watched Pesce a ton.

He is a very solid RHD and I wonder why Carolinians won't resign him for the 5M he is rumoured to be asking for.

He would look great along side Zadorov or even Hughes.
Friedman already said he turned down a 5x5 from the canes

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wonder what the cost for Kovacevic from the Habs would be. One year left and making league minimum. He could be a great fit for Hughes.

He’s a guy I like a lot but he’s more of a 3rd pairing guy than someone I’d target as Hughes partner. His value is really hard to peg. He should be worth quite a bit because of his contract. The Canadiens willingness to trade him is the big question. You’d think they would be willing to move on given the high number of young defensemen ready to make the jump. They haven’t extended him nor have they really entertained offers to move him.

I’d love to have him regardless of where he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad