Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
He’s played 482 games and 400 of them have been pretty dang bad. He’s had 2 healthy seasons and a lot of the missed games is because he’s a healthy scratch on bad teams. He’s never healthy and when he is whatever skill level is gone. At this point, he’s a training camp invite at best

There’s no reward.
Zaitsev is a guy that would benefit from playing for a deep defenceman imo. He's gone from Toronto, to Ottawa, to Chicago in his career and was pushed into a role playing 22min for his first 5 seasons.

I think if you play him fewer minutes in a lesser role (ie ~16 TOI), I bet he'd be serviceable. He's been playing less in Chicago, but it's hard to parse performance in that kind of dumpster fire. -5 in 38 games isn't too bad actually.

Health is a big one though.

All that said, please aim higher.

Reactions: Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
How? I believe they’ll try but, according to Dhaliwal, are not willing to part with assets to move dead contacts.
we’ll need to take something back or pay a pick. Insurance should cover the actual money paid so we will need to find a team that doesn’t care about the cap.
Maybe we can take on some players that are expensive in the context of AHL contracts like we did that other time, guys who make close to 1M but is a AHL/NHL tweener/ journeyman that is outplayed by a kid.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
we could trade for a player overpaid by $2.5m for one year and give them poolman in lieu of retention. a team like vegas that lives in ltir anyway might do that.

or as others say, we could take on two buried salaries from a team with no cap issues.

Reactions: Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Allvin basically threw down the gauntlet at his first post-season presser. 'Nobody in the organization can be satisfied with this year's playoff run'.

And if history is any guide, once again the Canucks will be one of the most active teams this off-season. But what is encouraging is that the guys in hockey ops department seem to know exactly what they are doing.

The identify the players they want, and then go out and get them. Let's face, the Canucks stunned the rest of the NHL by scooping up Zadorov and Lindholm a month before the TDL. Nobody thought that a major trade with a division rival was even possible....and he caught the rest of the league asleep at the switch.

So some of this year's off-season moves will be controversial.....but I can't wait to see what rabbits they pull out of a hat.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Thought about him briefly the other day - he's kind of similar to Garland in terms of work ethic and has a pretty good sense of where to be in the open ice. I think he'd work well with Pettersson. The back surgery + whatever injury he had this season is kind of worrying though, and I expect the Canucks will look elsewhere given that they don't want to operate in LTIR and there's a risk he heads there.

More than just the age/injury stuff with Arvidsson...i like the player, but he feels a lot bit like another flavour of what we've already got, or had. He's another smaller guy who is more "quick" rather than "fast". He's got the sort of 2-way responsibility and hustle of a guy like Garland, a bit in the same mold as Hoglander...but with a little bit better finishing ability around the net maybe a little bit more toward Kuzmenko.

So i wouldn't completely cross him off the list and i do think he'd work better with Pettersson than what we were running especially toward the end of the season. But it'd have to be a real short-term deal at a good value number i think. More likely, he can find more on a riskier contract elsewhere.

With Mikheyev coming back, DeBrusk signed, and a cap trade for Poolman with SJ (Knyzhov):

Also, enough room to handle the OEL buyout figure ($2.3m):

View attachment 875532

For what it's worth, it sounds like Zaitsev has more than likely signed, or at least reached a deal in principal back in the KHL. Not that it really matters much to this...just signing some other cheap defenceman in his place. Though RHD are tough to find for just a million bucks. Even bottom-pairing ones.

Bigger problem for me is...i just really don't like the composition of that defence corps much in general. It looks like a step back to me.

No Zucker plz

Awww man. I forgot about Zucker. They're gonna sign Zucker aren't they? :laugh:

Reactions: God

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His season corsi was 46%
In Minny it was 36%

13 points in 80 games. He was better in a very short time frame in Colorado.

His scoring per 60 was the same as Aman's

That 36% number is including SH results.

At ES Duhaime was 44.1 in Minny, 53.4 in Colorado and 46.7 overall.

For a guy getting sub-40% zone starts those numbers are pretty average.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So ignore most of the names here, it was more about assigning a cap hit to a position. I just wanted to see what we could do if we kept Zadorov and Lindgolm

I like the idea of being strong down the middle and loading up one side of the defence strong like Tamp did in their run.

After doing the exercise Probably better to downgrade on Lindholm and keep Zadorov. Maybe if you can get him to come in under the 6 mil I have him here it would fit more, but I wanted to put it at a high number for the exercise.

Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 2.56.16 PM.png

After signing Zadorov and Dakota, I would actually explore that trade with Carolina for KK. It is for sure a risk, but see if he can work with Joshua and Garland, and if not its such a cheap buyout... Hogs and Mik for him? Gives you more room too for Petey's wing and adding a real RHD.

Still want to play around a bit, but thats where I would start.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So ignore most of the names here, it was more about assigning a cap hit to a position. I just wanted to see what we could do if we kept Zadorov and Lindgolm

I like the idea of being strong down the middle and loading up one side of the defence strong like Tamp did in their run.

After doing the exercise Probably better to downgrade on Lindholm and keep Zadorov. Maybe if you can get him to come in under the 6 mil I have him here it would fit more, but I wanted to put it at a high number for the exercise.

View attachment 875717

After signing Zadorov and Dakota, I would actually explore that trade with Carolina for KK. It is for sure a risk, but see if he can work with Joshua and Garland, and if not its such a cheap buyout... Hogs and Mik for him? Gives you more room too for Petey's wing and adding a real RHD.

Still want to play around a bit, but thats where I would start.

I was nodding along with most of this, but Duclair at $5M?!

I’ve been banging the Duclair drum since before the TDL, but hell no at that price tag.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I was nodding along with most of this, but Duclair at $5M?!

I’ve been banging the Duclair drum since before the TDL, but hell no at that price tag.

He is a place holder... just saying a 5 mil winger for petey. Most of them were just to make the math work. I just wanted to see if we "could" re-sign both Zadorov and Lindholm... which we could... but I think we should just keep one, and I would keep big Z at this point.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Take your pick. Outside of Montour and Pesce, those all look reasonable, especially on term.

The problem is...because it's UFA...it's rarely actually a "take your pick" scenario. It's a crapshoot of who you can actually sign. Often comes down to either throwing more than that money at them, or just being a team that they really want to play for.

Now...the potential for one of these guys to play with Hughes - that's a bit of an ace up our sleaves when it comes to that.

If it were just as simple as submitting those offers and landing whichever ones we want...it'd be a lot easier to wave goodbye to Hronek. Even that Pesce deal, i'd happily sign that. There's a bit of risk to the later years of that...but he's a darn good defenceman. Problem is...it was more or less reported that with his M-NTC at the end of his previous contract, he basically had Canada crossed off. Rumblings were that he might be a little bit of a David Booth. So there's a pretty high likelihood that Vancouver is simply not an option for him, no matter how hard you try to pitch all the outdoors and fishing and stuff in BC.

So you start whittling down what looks like a solid menu of options like that, crossing off a handful of names...and it looks a little more tenuous.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sort of feel bad for a player like him. The AFP has him 3 years 3.2M. I don't know who is gonna give him that but I sure wouldn't. Maybe a Jankrok type of contract 4 x 2.1.
He'll pretty easily get a $3M x 3 from a lower-tier team without cap issues, if he wants to go that route. A contender probably can't give him that.

The problem is...because it's UFA...it's rarely actually a "take your pick" scenario. It's a crapshoot of who you can actually sign. Often comes down to either throwing more than that money at them, or just being a team that they really want to play for.

So you start whittling down what looks like a solid menu of options like that, crossing off a handful of names...and it looks a little more tenuous.
Exactly. From that list, probably only Carrier and Tanev are realistic options to land in Vancouver.

The options become limited very fast, and getting Hronek signed to a fair deal becomes much more attractive.

Reactions: Nick Lang

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I wonder if that hypothetical Necas/Hronek VAN/CAR deal may include swapping negotiating rights—CAR gets exclusivity with Lindholm, VAN gets exclusivity with Pesce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad