Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Monohan, Chandler, Lindholm....Their are a few options for 3 C this summer
I don’t mind Lindholm back but it really depends on what his asking price is. He’s certainly not a 7 or 8 mill player.

Perhaps you sign him to a 1 year $5M contract and see what type of year he has. I’m also a firm believer you shouldn’t really be spending more than $5M on a 3C (even that’s hefty). Stephenson is looking at around $6M and he’ll likely get it from a team like Utah. He’s poised for a massive overpayment.

I think Blueger is still a viable cheaper 3C option. Lindholm should be playing top 6 wing for us while alternating faceoff duties but Tocchet is willing to die on that hill of his using Lindholm down the middle.

Reactions: BimJenning

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The worst part of winning games in the playoffs is that now I want to re-sign every ufas

Joshua
Zadorov
Lindholm

I think we can afford to let Cole and Blueger walk
Needs to find a way to get rid of Mikheyev, maybe trade Hronek?

If Hronek is actually stuck on $8M AAV I think he’ll be moved. I’ve secretly been cheering for the Stars to get eliminated so Tanev isn’t motivated to stay.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
The worst part of winning games in the playoffs is that now I want to re-sign every ufas

Joshua
Zadorov
Lindholm

Joshua, Zadorov, and Blueger should be priority.

Lindholm is more of a luxury at this point with the way they’re using him as a center. If they’re not using him as a winger, I don’t think we should spend more than $5M if he’s just going to be a 3C.

Hronek in my eyes should be moved. Sell high on that “26 yr old 50 point RHD RFA”. In reality, he’s more of a 25-30 point defenseman as he’s been for the last 55 games.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I don’t mind Lindholm back but it really depends on what his asking price is. He’s certainly not a 7 or 8 mill player.

Perhaps you sign him to a 1 year $5M contract and see what type of year he has. I’m also a firm believer you shouldn’t really be spending more than $5M on a 3C (even that’s hefty). Stephenson is looking at around $6M and he’ll likely get it from a team like Utah. He’s poised for a massive overpayment.

I think Blueger is still a viable cheaper 3C option. Lindholm should be playing top 6 wing for us while alternating faceoff duties but Tocchet is willing to die on that hill of his using Lindholm down the middle.
Monohan would be the cheapest of them and is fantastic on the PP. Not so sure on his ability to shut down other teams tho

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

Joshua
Zadorov
Lindholm

I forecasted that OEL would be bought out last year, and I'm forecasting that they'll do the same with Mikheyev this off-season.

Saving $3.6m in 24-25 and $2.6m in 25-26 will be too attractive to pass-up. It might allow them to retain UFAs that they previously could not afford. Even if it costs them $1.55m each in 26/27 and 27/28.

They can't afford to give up the draft picks to dump Mikheyev. They will need those assets for future TDLs. The only alternative is if they try and stash him in the AHL. But that only frees up some $1.1m.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
The difference though is we can afford Toffoli without doing much more than trading Mikheyev. I'd love to bring in Guenztel but there's no shot we fit in 9M without losing depth in the likes of Zadorov and/or Joshua. Reinhart I'm not sold on being able to repeat this season. I also think he stays put. Granted, if Carolina goes far, I suspect they'll lock Guenztel up or he'll go back to Pittsburgh.
I don't think those guys are the only options. There are plenty of UFAs to choose from this summer. Just to name a few: Teravainen, Marchesault, Bertuzzi, DeBrusk, Tarasenko, Duclair, Domi, maybe even Patrick Kane. There are also trade options. I just don't want to spend any cap space on Tofu based on his play this playoff, even if he is affordable.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Monohan would be the cheapest of them and is fantastic on the PP. Not so sure on his ability to shut down other teams tho
He's been an absolute non-factor against Colorado and I'm not sure he makes the PP better when we already run it through JTM and Hughes.

Lindholm's definitely played his way back into the conversation about re-signing - he's probably been our best all-around centre the entire series. I'd probably rather have a shorter term deal, but that's unlikely with a player like him valuing stability.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
He's been an absolute non-factor against Colorado and I'm not sure he makes the PP better when we already run it through JTM and Hughes.

Lindholm's definitely played his way back into the conversation about re-signing - he's probably been our best all-around centre the entire series. I'd probably rather have a shorter term deal, but that's unlikely with a player like him valuing stability.
Lindholm has been better in the post season than he was for us in the regular season, but he hasn't been better than JT (or even close). points, shot differentials, FO%, physical play....all favor Miller. not even in the same ballpark IMO.

I still wouldn't prioritize this player if he's looking for a retirement contract. 1 year prove it deal sure, but if he's looking for his last big deal, I thank him for his service and wish him the best of luck somewhere else.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Lindholm would be extremely stupid to take a 1 year "show me" deal after watching John Klingberg pull of the vaunted "double fumble" leading to a potentially career ending injury.

He's still odds-on favourite to sign with a team like Boston for something similar to Kadri IMO (7x7). There's not much quality on the centre market combined with the cap going up and this is a player who has shown they *can* produce and play with quality linemates.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I'd take Lindholm LT if he's only $7M/yr.

But some team likely gives him more.

Trade Hronek to rebalance the books.

Going to be a very interesting summer.

Reactions: arttk

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If Hronek is actually stuck on $8M AAV I think he’ll be moved. I’ve secretly been cheering for the Stars to get eliminated so Tanev isn’t motivated to stay.

Not gonna lie. I've also been slightly happy to see Dallas and Winnipeg struggle in the hopes we can nab Toffoli and Tanev, the latter being the priority, of course.

Going by Hab fans this season, Monohan is all offensive and basically non-existent defensively. I don't think he's be a bad signing but he's absolutely not going to be used as a shut down center.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Lindholm would be extremely stupid to take a 1 year "show me" deal after watching John Klingberg pull of the vaunted "double fumble" leading to a potentially career ending injury.

He's still odds-on favourite to sign with a team like Boston for something similar to Kadri IMO (7x7). There's not much quality on the centre market combined with the cap going up and this is a player who has shown they *can* produce and play with quality linemates.
i think 7x7 might not be a bad contract considering the cap is going to go up up up. I imagine at some point we would want to find JT a center that can do the defensive work as he starts to age, Lindholm can do that.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
i think 7x7 might not be a bad contract considering the cap is going to go up up up. I imagine at some point we would want to find JT a center that can do the defensive work as he starts to age, Lindholm can do that.

I don't hate it but would definitely wait and shop around a little first. We desperately need a scoring winger unless they commit to Pettersson switching positions full time. Signing Lindholm to 7x7 and slotting him on the third line doesn't make any sense.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't hate it but would definitely wait and shop around a little first. We desperately need a scoring winger unless they commit to Pettersson switching positions full time. Signing Lindholm to 7x7 and slotting him on the third line doesn't make any sense.
i think it's more likely .
??? - Petey - ???
Miller - Lindholm - Boeser
???? - Raty/Sasson (at some point) - ???
???? - Sasson/Raty - ????

hopefully in 2 years, this is the center depth we will have.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I would say that Zadorov and Joshua are priorities. We will probably have to pay 5mil for Zadorov and likely 3mil for Joshua if we want to keep them. If we do, I can't see a way that we are going to bring Lindholm back and properly fill out the roster, unless that includes moving out Hronek, which I don't agree with.

This is how my roster is currently shaped:

Mikheyev4.75Pettersson11.6
Boeser6.65Miller8Hoglander1.1
Garland4.95Suter1.6Joshua3
Podkolzin1
Aman0.88
Hughes7.85Hronek7.5
Soucy3.25
Zadorov5Cole / Myers3
Demko5
Silovs0.79

With the buyout on OEL, that leaves us with 9.24mil to fill out the reminder of the roster. I'm hoping we snag Tanev for just over 3mil, and if Blueger and / or Lafferty want to come back at something close to their current salary then then would fit in okay as well.

That's basically 9mil to sign either a top 6 forward or 3C, a 4C, a 4W, and a 3/4D. It's pretty tight, but doable. We will likely need to fine tune the roster mid season again, but our management team clearly has no issues making trades happen.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Someone is going to be offering Zadorov 6 or more after these playoffs

I think theres a good chance too that Raty could be an effective 3C over the next year or two

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Hoglander (1.1) – Miller (8) – Boeser (6.65)
Suter (1.6) – Petterson (11.6) – Vatrano (3.65)
Joshua (3.75) – Lindholm (6) – Garland (4.95)
Podkolzin (1) – Raty (0.836) – Lafferty (2)
Aman (0.825)

Hughes (7.85) – Tanev (3.5)
Soucy (3.25) – Myers (3.5)
Zadorov (4.25) – RD
Juulsen (0.775)

Demko (5)
Silovs (1)

OEL (2.34)

Hronek, Poolman & Mikheyev traded for Vatrano.

Here's my latest armchair GM effort...leaves about 2M for the third pairing RD (or 1 if posters want to resign Lindhom for 7). Maybe AAV's are on the low end. I tried to prioritize getting Petterson a better linemate but the top 4 right side defenders are getting pretty long in the tooth.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Lindholm has played more NHL games than JT and doesn't have anywhere near the competitiveness. I think people massively underestimate how difficult it is to keep the needle of the "give a phuck" meter pinned all the way to the right. I wouldn't bet a long term retirement contract on Lindholm being that kind of guy.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

I think theres a good chance too that Raty could be an effective 3C over the next year or two

I'm hoping the reports going around that the guys all really want to make something work, including Zadorov, Hronek and Joshua leads to them taking a little less. Petey did despite everyone thinking he was easily demanding 12M. Our best bet is offering term in exchange for a lower dollar amount.

The big question though is trading Mikheyev. I don't see any way we can realistically address our offense if they don't move on from him. I get the whole "we want to give him a chance" mentality but I just don't think it's a worthwhile idea unless teams are trying to bend us over.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Maybe, but I'd wager Zadorov signs in the $5M AAV range in Vancouver if they offer that on term. That's always been the rumoured number and given the word he would prefer to sign here, I suspect he'd take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad