Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Lighten up people were still in the playoffs and have both for now. We worry about who to keep or let go after the season. Enjoy the ride for now because were flying high at the moment !

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Mikheyev, Lindholm, Blueger, Myers, Cole all get the metaphorical boot before Soucy. Probably more than that too.
We need better center depth, we got extremely lucky that Petey and Miller didn’t miss any time at all. Hell maybe if we had better depth Petey would’ve missed time.

Let’s say Lindholm is not the guy, well whoever that guy is it’s not going to be cheap . You fill that hole and then you will need to make a decision on Zadorov/Joshua. If you want to keep both because you think they offer more in the playoffs then you end up having to look at Soucy/Garland. If you keep both then you are not going to get Petey any help.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
A shake up in this instance.
This is the 3rd or 4th year in a row they've fizzled out in the playoffs due to top end talent. Maybe they think a core shake up is needed.
Over the last six years, only three teams have played more playoff games.

their top line players are absolutely producing and the team is scoring plenty of goals. all three games against NYR have been decided by a goal, but they're not getting the best out of their goaltenders (particularly compared to Shesterkin who is putting up MVP numbers) .

doesn't help that their 2nd pair RHS workhorse defender is injured.

Plenty of cap space to tinker in the offseason, but i very much doubt we'll see anything resembling your proposal.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Lighten up people were still in the playoffs and have both for now. We worry about who to keep or let go after the season. Enjoy the ride for now because were flying high at the moment !

Nah this the fantasy gm thread you gotta fight for your players here....love it

I would trade Soucy in a heart beat if we could package him up with Mikhayev and it didnt cost us more assets

Lindholm we should re sign not let walk. If the contention window is now then why the hell would we? John Hodgson is right you prioritize from best to worst not keep players juts because they have a good contract. Find another one

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
We need better center depth, we got extremely lucky that Petey and Miller didn’t miss any time at all. Hell maybe if we had better depth Petey would’ve missed time.

Let’s say Lindholm is not the guy, well whoever that guy is it’s not going to be cheap . You fill that hole and then you will need to make a decision on Zadorov/Joshua. If you want to keep both because you think they offer more in the playoffs then you end up having to look at Soucy/Garland. If you keep both then you are not going to get Petey any help.
I think there's a good chance J-P-G would be a very effective 2nd line next year. Bring Blueger back as 3C and try to bring in Stenlund as your 4C. Alternatively, you can move Suter back to C and find a winger to play with Boeser and Miller (Hoglander may be ready for that role next year).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think there's a good chance J-P-G would be a very effective 2nd line next year. Bring Blueger back as 3C and try to bring in Stenlund as your 4C. Alternatively, you can move Suter back to C and find a winger to play with Boeser and Miller (Hoglander may be ready for that role next year).
Then you are f***ed if Miller or Petey goes down.

Joshua-Garland is a luxury. I think having actual center depth let it be Lindholm, Stephenson is more important than keeping that pair

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If it's all about good contracts then perhaps we should be looking to trade Pettersson and keep Soucy?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Dhaliwal today on SN650:

-If Hronek is stuck on $8M AAV not sure how the Canucks do that. Tanev is an option if Hronek is moved.
-The Canucks are high on Lindholm following the playoffs and are now prioritizing trying to figure out how to sign him. Probably can't bring him back and Blueger. Lindholm had a "Horvat-size contract on the table in Calgary".
-Zadorov wants term and Canucks know it. Thinks the Canucks have an idea of what it will take to sign him.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Then you are f***ed if Miller or Petey goes down.

Joshua-Garland is a luxury. I think having actual center depth let it be Lindholm, Stephenson is more important than keeping that pair
yeah, and how is that any different than any other team in the league if one of their top 2 C miss time? Unless you're going to Vegas your way into a $90MM payroll and stash guys on LTIR.

you think having RNH is going to help Edmonton if McDavid goes down?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Huh?

Trading Soucy was somebody else’s idea, not even mind bud.

Dude got piled on without anyone even doing proper analysis. It’s not an outrageous idea and actually very possible.

This management moves fast on players if they think it’s the right move.

Yes, but you're the one throwing out the asinine McDavid comments.

Nobody "piled on" WTG. Several of us simply don't agree Soucy is who we should be trading. The disagreement stemmed from his contract being considered great value, some UFAs pricing themselves out of our reach and/or just feeling some of them we're okay letting go.

In my particular case, Lindholm is the sacrifice. Why? 7M for what will likely be our third center just isn't a smart investment imo. I'd rather bring back Blueger and/or put that money towards a dedicated winger like Bertuzzi or Duclair.

That's how "proper analysis" works. All you've insisted is we'll somehow find a near equivalent player for half the price. All while assuming they'd even want to sign here, they won't get better offers elsewhere and that Soucy would accept a trade.

Soucy isn't the end all be all. If we do find that diamond in the rough replacement then hey, go for it. Odds are significantly higher we won't.

You mention Benoit. The Leafs didn't find him, Anaheim casted him off because he wasn't good enough. He worked out for Toronto but isn't half the player Soucy is. Which is why he made league min and only got a 500k raise. You think he takes that deal from the Leafs if his agent thought he could do better as a UFA?

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think there will be conversations this summer about whether to proceed with EP40, or without him.
lol

yeah, and how is that any different than any other team in the league if one of their top 2 C miss time? Unless you're going to Vegas your way into a $90MM payroll and stash guys on LTIR.

you think having RNH is going to help Edmonton if McDavid goes down?
At least he can stand in for McD or Drai and he can be a legit 2C.
Bluegar being your 2C backup plan is something that is fine this season because expectation was wild card. It’s not fine with the renewed expectation.
Like I said, you pick Joshua + better center or Garland +better center and then you use the free up cap to get Petey a winger. There is a reason teams don’t play their star players with plugs.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
See if they re sign Lindholm at 6/7M to be our 3C, that’s an insane overpay and that would be a tremendous waste of cap considering Blueger is more than fine as a cheaper 3C for a fraction of the cost. If they re sign Lindholm to be a top 6 winger, I guess I don’t have a problem with that, but then contract length + fit is something that needs to be answered.

28.4M cap space

Lindholm $6.5M x 6
Zadorov $5M x 5
Joshua $4M x 6

Leaves us with $8.9M of cap. Buying out Mikheyev gives us an extra $3.6M so in total $12.5M of cap space.

Myers, Cole, Blueger, and Lafferty would have to walk. Hronek depending on his contract demands.

_____-Petey-______(Lindholm)
_____-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Podkolzin

Hughes-_____
Zadorov-_____
Soucy-______

Demko
Silovs

I can’t believe it, but there’s a case to be made about trading Soucy to save some extra cap. Especially if you’re trying to sign/acquire a winger for Petey and RHD. There’s also Hoglander to use as trade piece.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
First and foremost, how is it gaslighting to disagree with someone? By that logic, everyone telling me Duclair wasn't worth picking up at the deadline was gaslighting. Or the actual reason. They just didn't agree.

Second. You do realize the probability of a third round pick becoming an impact player is estimated to be roughly 12%, yes? That doesn't necessarily mean they will be good either, just something. How is that "great value" for a contending team looking to make the playoffs?

3rd-7th picks are little more than darts at a board. You might get lucky, you probably won't.

You're basically trying to find a free agent close enough to Soucy... who will also take half the dollar amount. I mean, sure... if we can find that player. Odds are another team is offering them a lot more than 1.5M.
We traded for Zadorov for a 3rd and the reason we couldn't get a winger at the TDL is because we don't have enough assets to trade. I don't think the assumption is that we will actually use the pick to draft someone, it will be used to upgrade the roster.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
See if they re sign Lindholm at 6/7M to be our 3C, that’s an insane overpay and that would be a tremendous waste of cap considering Blueger is more than fine as a cheaper 3C for a fraction of the cost. If they re sign Lindholm to be a top 6 winger, I guess I don’t have a problem with that, but then contract length + fit is something that needs to be answered.

28.4M cap space

Lindholm $6.5M x 6
Zadorov $5M x 5
Joshua $4M x 6

Leaves us with $8.9M of cap. Buying out Mikheyev gives us an extra $3.6M so in total $12.5M of cap space.

Myers, Cole, Blueger, and Lafferty would have to walk. Hronek depending on his contract demands.

_____-Petey-______(Lindholm)
_____-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Podkolzin

Hughes-_____
Zadorov-_____
Soucy-______

Demko
Silovs

I can’t believe it, but there’s a case to be made about trading Soucy to save some extra cap. Especially if you’re trying to sign/acquire a winger for Petey and RHD. There’s also Hoglander to use as trade piece.
it goes back to what drives success in the playoffs?
Having an expensive 3C might feel excessive in the regular season but it looks like it's an advantage in the playoffs.
Are we going to be in round 2 if Bluegar was our 3C? Probably not.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It’s not an analogy. Benning traded the guy outperforming his contract to keep the guy underperforming his contract. It’s just literally what happened.
it is an analogy. and a bad one.

i don't understand eddie lack lovers and ryan millers haters. i think that they are people who dug in on opinions back in 20154 and just can't admit they were wrong. miller gave us the development environment for steady markstrom which in turn gave us steady demko. he was one of benning's best moves.

and we didn't trade lack to save cap choosing between him and miller to open up cap for other options, which is what we are discussing here. we made a hockey trade because we wanted to make room for markstrom as the backup and were not high on lack as being able to handle the starter role and thought it would potentially be bad for markstrom. the team had no cap issues to worry about.

and we were correct about lack. we traded him at his absolute peak value. he was done in the nhl two seasons later year, after steady decline. he was an athletic goalie and a good room guy, but he was not fundamentally sound. teams got a book on his weaknesses and wore him down.

otoh, miller was a legit starter who did exactly what we paid him to do for the next two seasons and was never overpaid except in the fervid imaginations of some canuck fans. he played 4 more solid years after we traded lack, including two years as our starter on a terrible team where he sheltered markstrom effectively and then the first two of three seasons as a back up in anaheim where in his mid 30s he played better in his first season than lack ever did in the same role.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If Lindholm is just gonna be a 3C then the difference between him and Blueger is not enough to pay 5million or more for. It's Lindholms ability to be a weapon on PP1 and play into a top6 spot if the Canucks want to deploy that way that it starts to make sense.

At 30 in December how many years before that starts to wear off is the big question

I think I’d rather have Reinhart at $9-10 mill if Lindholm costs $7, assuming both are available.
well yes but Florida not signing their 50 goal guy would be surprising given how well he fits that team

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Zadorov averages 20:00 per game compared to Soucy's 17:26 so far in the playoffs.

My guess is that carries forward into next year if they keep Zadorov around.
that's an extrapolation from a sample size of 7 games. it is very far from the certainty of something having already definitively occurred that you asserted in your original post.

the reality is that zadorov wants to be paid like a 20 minute dman, but he has no track record of consistently being one. there's no question that size in the playoffs has huge value, as myers is also proving every game for us. the question is whether teams can afford to devote top 4 cap to guys who have size but significant deficiencies elsewhere in their game that will be exposed in the regular season.

part of the cost of signing zadorov is that we will also need an above average bottom pair to play behind him to compensate for the inconsistency in play that zadorov brings compared to using that cap for a top 4 dman. if we do sign zadorov it will be because we have soucy for that role.

Reactions: sting101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
So we’ve come to the conclusion that we’re better off without Soucy than buying out Mikheyev?

Only way that makes sense is if you truly believe Mikheyev will be back to thebpayer he was during his last season in Toronto. He should be healthier but he’s also no spring chicken, his career year in Toronto was during a prime age and with full health. We’re not getting that here.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
lol

At least he can stand in for McD or Drai and he can be a legit 2C.
Bluegar being your 2C backup plan is something that is fine this season because expectation was wild card. It’s not fine with the renewed expectation.
Like I said, you pick Joshua + better center or Garland +better center and then you use the free up cap to get Petey a winger. There is a reason teams don’t play their star players with plugs.
It's their only window of opportunity to move him, of course they're going to have the discussion especially after his play over the last 30 games. I doubt he'll be moved, but it wouldn't completely shock me.

you proposed a 20 man roster that is at the cap, with zero depth on the front end, or the back end. The 4th line has two AHL players and a guy that hasn't been able to crack our lineup in months. I'm probably higher on Juulsen than most and that 3rd pair is terrifying. Relying on Ian cole to anchor a 3rd line considering how badly he's faded down the stretch is a disaster waiting to happen. You cannot afford Lindholm and Guentzel unless EP40 is one the way out.

S-M-B 16.25
J-P-G 20.55 (DJ@$4MM)
H-B-P 4.6 (TB@$2.5MM)
D-S-S 3.375 (Stenlund@$1.6 Sherwood@$1MM)
Aman $.825
Total 45.6
Mikheyev is moved

HH 14.875
ZT 9.5 ($5MM & $4.5MM) Could make a case for Demelo over CT
SM 6.25 (TM@$3MM)
J $.775
Total $31.4MM

Demko $5MM
Silvos $1MM

DC $2.35

total $85.35

A case could be made that we should move on from Boeser in the offseason, particularly if he can be moved for a piece that makes Hronek (or Tanev) redundant (Adam Larsson for example) and replaced in free agency

hypothetical if we moved Boeser for Larsson and then added Sam Reinhart in free agency.

S-M-R 18.6 (SR@$9.5MM)
J-P-G 20.55 (DJ@$4MM)
H-B-P 4.6 (TB@$2.5MM)
Aman $.825
Total 48.45
Mikheyev is moved
I used Reinhart rather than Guentzel because he's probably more expensive, is a RHS, kills penalties and may be able to play C if needed.

HL 11.85
SM 6.25 (TM@$3MM)
J $.775
Total $28.38

Hronek

Demko $5MM
Silvos $1MM

DC $2.35

total $85.18 (room is there to go higher for Reinhart)

@credulous got me thinking about Reinhart..i've come around on him. lots of utility and fills multiple holes/roles.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
it is an analogy. and a bad one.

i don't understand eddie lack lovers and ryan millers haters. i think that they are people who dug in on opinions back in 20154 and just can't admit they were wrong. miller gave us the development environment for steady markstrom which in turn gave us steady demko. he was one of benning's best moves.

and we didn't trade lack to save cap choosing between him and miller to open up cap for other options, which is what we are discussing here. we made a hockey trade because we wanted to make room for markstrom as the backup and were not high on lack as being able to handle the starter role and thought it would potentially be bad for markstrom. the team had no cap issues to worry about.

and we were correct about lack. we traded him at his absolute peak value. he was done in the nhl two seasons later year, after steady decline. he was an athletic goalie and a good room guy, but he was not fundamentally sound. teams got a book on his weaknesses and wore him down.

otoh, miller was a legit starter who did exactly what we paid him to do for the next two seasons and was never overpaid except in the fervid imaginations of some canuck fans. he played 4 more solid years after we traded lack, including two years as our starter on a terrible team where he sheltered markstrom effectively and then the first two of three seasons as a back up in anaheim where in his mid 30s he played better in his first season than lack ever did in the same role.
Good post it amazes me how much people are willing to skirt facts for narratives once the in fashion thing to do is shit on someone.

It's right back to the rebuild crowd of last year who bitched and moaned about Tocchet and the Hronek trade to no end. Difference being that because we're division champs that crowd has gone silent until we get knocked out.

Could you imagine being hired as a GM and another as President with your interviews being centered around competing with the Sedins et all and then just going with Lack and Markstrom who was struggling to be a NHL goalie at the time? Vrbata and Miller were good signings the core was just too old with no one to take the reigns

Reactions: krutovsdonut

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
So you guys prefer an 8 year deal over what Ryan Graves got (6x$4.5M) or 5x$5M AAV?

You're a bit obsessed over this for some reason. Rumors make it unlikely that Zadorov would sign either of those deals, but if he would I'd take the 6 year over 5. And if he's willing to sign 6 years for $27m, I'd put an 8x4 ($32m) on the table. He fits the prototype of the dman that can be successful into his late 30s (smooth skating, good size, healthy so far in his career) and every bit of cap space is going to be important. If we can save $1m AAV by going from 5 years to 8, to me it's an easy decision (again, structuring the last 2-3 years in a way that let's us move off him if necessary through trade or buy-out).

One thing with the Lindholm discussion, I feel calling him our 3C is a bit disingenuous. He's our 4th highest minute forward so far in the playoffs. 1 PP, 1PK, top RH faceoff guy, top match up C.

Over 82 games, he is going to see time with JTM or EP. His play and health made that difficult this regular season, but he's not a 3C like Blueger who you want to keep around 13 minutes or whatever. He's going to see tons of high leverage ice time, be one of our top 5 forwards for TOI/G, and play in all situations.

Saying $7m for a 3rd line center really doesn't represent how he would be used.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's their only window of opportunity to move him, of course they're going to have the discussion especially after his play over the last 30 games. I doubt he'll be moved, but it wouldn't completely shock me.

you proposed a 20 man roster that is at the cap, with zero depth on the front end, or the back end. The 4th line has two AHL players and a guy that hasn't been able to crack our lineup in months. I'm probably higher on Juulsen than most and that 3rd pair is terrifying. Relying on Ian cole to anchor a 3rd line considering how badly he's faded down the stretch is a disaster waiting to happen. You cannot afford Lindholm and Guentzel unless EP40 is one the way out.

S-M-B 16.25
J-P-G 20.55 (DJ@$4MM)
H-B-P 4.6 (TB@$2.5MM)
Aman $.825
Total 45.6
Mikheyev is moved

HH 14.875
SM 6.25 (TM@$3MM)
J $.775
Total $31.4MM

Demko $5MM
Silvos $1MM

DC $2.35

total $85.35

A case could be made that we should move on from Boeser in the offseason, particularly if he can be moved for a piece that makes Hronek (or Tanev) redundant (Adam Larsson for example) and replaced in free agency

hypothetical if we moved Boeser for Larsson and then added Sam Reinhart in free agency.

S-M-R 18.6 (SR@$9.5MM)
J-P-G 20.55 (DJ@$4MM)
H-B-P 4.6 (TB@$2.5MM)
Aman $.825
Total 48.45
Mikheyev is moved
I used Reinhart rather than Guentzel because he's probably more expensive, is a RHS, kills penalties and may be able to play C if needed.

HL 11.85
SM 6.25 (TM@$3MM)
J $.775
Total $28.38

Hronek

Demko $5MM
Silvos $1MM

DC $2.35

total $85.18 (room is there to go higher for Reinhart)
Well that is the thing, we are going to be tight to the cap and the obvious sacrifices are going to be the 4th line and 3rd paring. If the philosophy is that our system can get more out of the players then we should just run with it and plug in kids and give them the opportunity to play and grow.
I don't really see an issue with playing PDG/Bains - Aman - Sasson, it's the 4th line, they will get like 10min a game? Let those be development minutes. We need to invest in them because the cap is going get even tigher the season after with the OEL cap penalty increasing.

I disagree that what I suggested offers zero depth in forwards.
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hog - Petey - Guentzel
Joshua - Lindholm - Pod

We are going to get guaranteed scoring from the 1st 2 lines, having guentzel and Lindholm is going to improve both PP1 and PP2 if we get a dedicated PP coach. I mean it doesn't need to be Lindholm or Guentzel but we need that level of an upgrade. Not sure how much ES scoring we can get out of Joshua - Lindholm but at least it will be physical and good defensively.

Like i said, there is a reason teams like the Avs play Ratanen with MacK and etc.. Paring elite players together increases the chance of getting more out of those players. You try to build that over buidling an above average 3rd line. That is how you increase the ceiling of the team.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So we’ve come to the conclusion that we’re better off without Soucy than buying out Mikheyev?

Only way that makes sense is if you truly believe Mikheyev will be back to thebpayer he was during his last season in Toronto. He should be healthier but he’s also no spring chicken, his career year in Toronto was during a prime age and with full health. We’re not getting that here.
Mikhayev is an absolute buy out....no question.

I would attach Suter in a heart beat if it meant we could move him without paying a 1st rounder or multiple picks.

Guy has 1 goal in 60games in top6 deployment wont hit anyone..... he has to go you cant make 4.75 and not be able to produce and neuter your 11.6m C while you're at it. Thought he would come around but it's not his skating anymore that's holding him back it's his hockey sense and unwillingness to drive the net finish checks in addition to cement for hands that has been an abstract failure.

What a massive disappointment he's turned into and it would be crazy to run it back considering he doesn't fit into the top3 lines here anymore. You dont want to anchor EP40 or break up Garland Joshua for someone that has sucked and underperformed and Miller would probably cross check him in the face by the end of next season with this nonsense

You turn 3.6 m of that into a good player when you buy him out and laugh to the bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad