Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Manny Malhotra as Head Coach of AHL Abbotsford Canucks

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Can’t believe you ignored Alex Kannok-Leipert.

whoa he spent the last eight years playing on the giants and in abbo and i have literally never heard of this person before

1716656589693.jpeg

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Dan Hamhuis? Mike Santorelli?
Who knew but Santorelli is the head coach of the Burnaby winter club u18 prep team for the past 5 seasons.

Not Hammer yet.

Santos is good.

Does anyone know what happened to Jason Rogers of the Whiterock Whalers? He struck me as one of the most capable up and coming coaches.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
LOVE that Manny's back! I thought that they dd a good job in Abby this year though. was it a contract issue?

It sounded like there were many issues including money. Ultimately, AHL coaches come and go and it's good that the Canucks pivoted. Worked out perfectly for Manny as well. I hope Manny has a good relationship with Tocchet so Manny can lean on Tocchet a bit. Agnew (if brought back) has a ton of experience but his methods might not be up to date.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Having watched most of the Abbotsford Canuck games on the AHL Network last season, there's definitely one area they can shore up--and that's on the defensive side of the puck.

Although they tightened things up entering the playoffs, they were still hanging their goaltenders out to dry on too many occasions. And as we all know, one of the biggest barriers that prevents AHL players from making the NHL is their attention to defensive details.

Manny Malhotra was a 'defense-first' center when he played. He's just the guy they need to impart some of his defensive fundamentals to these young Canuck prospects.

Reactions: Chiripa20

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If you were to grade out the AHL farm teams around the league, Abbotsford ticks just about all the boxes.

Despite being one of the youngest teams in the AHL, they still wracked up back-to-back 40 win seasons. And have managed to squeeze out four playoff rounds.

And a number of players have improved substantially to the point where they're knocking on the door of NHL employment. Almost a perfect scenario. Developing an NHL pipeline, at the same time as you're actually winning hockey games.

Malhotra has big shoes to fill replacing Jeremy Colliton in Abbotsford.

Reactions: I am toxic

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Malhotra is great hire. Excellent character and leadership. East Indian heritage and bilingualism is an added bonus coaching in Abbotsford.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jeremy Colliton is a great coach with NHL experience, and a guy the Canucks would loved to have brought back. But the NHL is where it's at for coaching.

But as the head coaching opportunities around the NHL slowly get filled up, I hope there's a place for him out there somewhere. For such a young guy, he has a solid coaching resume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad