Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Manny Malhotra as Head Coach of AHL Abbotsford Canucks

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Interesting.

Zero head coaching experience but lots of NHL assistant experience.

Sedins would obviously know him very well.

Was on Travis Green's staff here ... but generally considered a loss when he left to join Toronto.

Highly doubt this will be a 'terrible' hire or anything but no idea if it's an upgrade on Colliton.
Manny wants to become a NHL HC

This is part of the process

Reactions: HairyKneel

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Friedman mentioned in today's 32 Thoughts that he believes that Colliton was exploring his options because Tocchet's presence as going to block him from advancing to head coach in the organization.

Which is kind of funny since historically, Jack Adams winners usually get canned within 1 or 2 seasons.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
don't love hiring a first time hc even one with history with the organization

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
On the one hand, Manny has the career experience and hockey IQ that fits the future coach prototype.

Also has years of experience as an assistant in the NHL, although not sure the so-called "coaching trees" he's coming from inspire a ton of confidence.

Big question is how will he be at developing prospects, obviously the prime objective of our AHL coach.

Lots of love for Malhotra. Might have preferred someone with some previous HC experience, but let's see how he does.

Do hope they get an assistant with a lot of experience, especially in player development, to help out.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
No doubt.

He's just never been 'the guy' before, anywhere. And his years here he wasn't one of the inner circle assistants.

IIRC - he started as a video coach with us, starting as an "eye in the sky" type, and then moved to Toronto to be part of a bench staff and an inner circle.

Makes sense he'd then move to the AHL to get a crack at heading up a team. I've long respected and admired his mind for the game and his attention to details. Was always an excellent communicator even as a player, so hopefully that translates into head coaching.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Friedman mentioned in today's 32 Thoughts that he believes that Colliton was exploring his options because Tocchet's presence as going to block him from advancing to head coach in the organization.
Makes sense. It’s a lot easier for AHL coaches to get promoted within.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
don't love hiring a first time hc even one with history with the organization
Any HC experience for an AHL job is either via Junior or another AHL job. So, your candidates are more narrow if that is a requirement.

Wonder if Colliton has an assistant NHL job lined at least. Don' recall what his contract status is now.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
He fits the mold of a player that might make a good coach. Highly touted prospect who had to re-invent his game in order to stick in the league. Glue guy in the dressing room...

Only issue is, am I talking about Manny Malhotra or Travis Green?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
In his first offseason with the Canucks he was leading pre-training camp workouts at UBC. I remember reading that and thinking the guy must be a natural leader. He hadn't even played with the team yet.

Reactions: wonton15

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Malhotra is a character guy. I trust the team to have done the due diligence to ensure he is well qualified. I don't really care that this is his first HC gig. In fact it might be better to have a guy with less experience who will fall in line with Tocchet's system.

IIRC - he started as a video coach with us, starting as an "eye in the sky" type, and then moved to Toronto to be part of a bench staff and an inner circle.
This is correct.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I like the hire, I just hope he doesn't try and turn everyone into a defensive forechecking 4th liner.

Reactions: TruKnyte

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I mean as a person and as a guy I really like Manny.

Hopefully he has enough coaching chops now to take over the baby Nucks.

Will be interested to see how his style will match with what Tocchet wants for his system.

Not worried about player development. Guy was already coaching teams when he was still a player - look up the stories about him between periods of important games.

The biggest worry is guys breaking ribs - Manny is an absolute riot in the room. So many fond memories.

Glad he is back.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
timing here seems to have been escalated by the canucks. if he does not have at least a backup gig lined up, colliton may have just learned a painful lesson.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
timing here seems to have been escalated by the canucks. if he does not have at least a backup gig lined up, colliton may have just learned a painful lesson.

For the Canucks to move on like this before Colliton has officially left in any way Colliton had either told them he definitely wasn't coming back or he'd done something to piss off the organization.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Love the hiring....In his playing days, Malhotra was a superior defensive center and a demon in the faceoff dot.

I'm sure he'll impart that defensive wisdom to the young prospects on the AHL Canucks. Allvin and Rutherford keep hitting it out of the park with their hiring in the hockey ops department.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
For the Canucks to move on like this before Colliton has officially left in any way Colliton had either told them he definitely wasn't coming back or he'd done something to piss off the organization.

Wasn't there some kind of mention a couple days ago that the Canucks and Colliton were kind of on track to continue and then something broke down?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wasn't there some kind of mention a couple days ago that the Canucks and Colliton were kind of on track to continue and then something broke down?

I believe the timeline was -

- Someone (Dhaliwal?) reported he heard that the Canucks has fired Colliton
- Another someone (I want to say Patrick Johnson) said it wasn't true, and that the two sides were talking
- There was a report the Canucks had offered him a 2-year contract which he had rejected
- His name came up in connection with the San Jose coaching vacancy
- And then today, the Canucks hire Malhotra and thank Colliton (and Agnew) for their service

Reactions: Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I believe the timeline was -

- Someone (Dhaliwal?) reported he heard that the Canucks has fired Colliton
- Another someone (I want to say Patrick Johnson) said it wasn't true, and that the two sides were talking
- There was a report the Canucks had offered him a 2-year contract which he had rejected
- His name came up in connection with the San Jose coaching vacancy
- And then today, the Canucks hire Malhotra and thank Colliton (and Agnew) for their service
Also Colliton's contract expired.

Reactions: Vector

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
hell ya for manny

would've thought he would've gotten a stint somewhere in junior as a head coach first, but maybe the canucks coaching pipeline is deep enough (especially with the sedins involvement in abbotsford) that it will be okay. curious who malhotra adds as his assistant/associate in place of agnew - someone with hc experience would be nice to have.

will say tho, generally don't necessarily love the nepotism/former canuck trend we're on with the sedins, johnson, samuelsson, higgins, and now malhotra - that's how organizations turn into old boys' clubs, especially when you have a moron fanboy owner known to micromanage.

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad