GDT: Canucks @ Hawks 10/22/24 7:15 CHSN

belfour30

Blackhawks Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
The idea that you have to win faceoffs in order to play center is really asinine. Nathan Mackinnon is ~45% at the dot over his career. When healthy, Landeskog took damn near half his draw for him. I don’t think anyone’s arguing that Mackinnon needs to move to the wing
It's one thing to be in the mid 40s, it's a completely different thing to be in the low 30s.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What is contradictory, though?

He was drafted #7OA, played on a lot of shitty teams, put up only 200 points in 1400 games, and had 2000 PIMS. He was a career negative player, by a large margin. He seemingly played top pair on shitty teams because he was the best option for those teams. He was probably more of a #4 or #5 on a playoff type of team. I don't see anything contradictory with any of those things. Hammer was an elite SAH D. He put up almost the same amount of points, in half the games played, and is like 220 points better than LR in +/- over the span of their careers. A SAH D being -120 over his career, and having more negative seasons, than positive ones, is not really a ringing endorsement of him being a top pairing SAH D.

Richardson career was like many prolonged because of the trap era garbage hockey

He literally spent 2nd half of his NHL career a slug doing nothing but clutch and grab hockey

There is a reason players like him and Marchment whose career was similar disappeared from NHL for most part post 05 lockout

Infact Marchment and Richardson were slugs together on some of those Oiler teams

For people who talk about "Oh expansion will water down game, etc" they must not remember all the years trash like Richardson/Marchment/Cam Russells/etc of world occupied roster spots and had careers because of the trash era that was 95-04 trap/clutch and grab hockey that nearly killed game

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
It's one thing to be in the mid 40s, it's a completely different thing to be in the low 30s.
It really isn’t. If he’s that bad at it one of his wingers can take faceoffs for him. The problem is almost inconsequential because of how easy it is to fix

Reactions: d rake

belfour30

Blackhawks Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
On the other hand, now that they're not playing other crappy teams, there is a possibility they will be bad enough to get McQueen.

The idea that you have to win faceoffs in order to play center is really asinine. Nathan Mackinnon is ~45% at the dot over his career. When healthy, Landeskog took damn near half his draw for him. I don’t think anyone’s arguing that Mackinnon needs to move to the wing

Jack Hughes is 35% at the dot over his career. Is he a winger?
Probably should be at that clip.

Also Eichel averages 79 pts per 82 games for his career.

That's just a good 1st liner in this scoring environment.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
It really isn’t. If he’s that bad at it one of his wingers can take faceoffs for him. The problem is almost inconsequential because of how easy it is to fix

Take it for him sure....but can they WIN it for him?? That is the question. lol jk im just being annoying. I'm not worried about the whole face off thing/Bedard at C thing.

On the other hand, now that they're not playing other crappy teams, there is a possibility they will be bad enough to get McQueen.

Also Eichel averages 79 pts per 82 games for his career.

That's just a solid 1st liner in this scoring environment.

Disagree. Hughes is clearly a C and Eichel is clearly better than your average 1C.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
And yet Hughes has taken just 48 faceoffs this year while exclusively playing center. There is absolutely no reason to move a guy off center because he’s bad at something that encompasses 5% of what playing the position actually means

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
Jones, Murphy, AA all made beer league turnovers. On the PP in 3rd, I think it was Bedard who put it back to Jones, only for Jones to try to get puck though 2 Van players. Turned puck over and it came the other way. Jones has physical skills but not elite hockey IQ to be #1 D.
If LR wants to make statement with healthy scratch of #23, other players better be next.
This is getting real old real fast.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
I hope the wheels don't fall off Foligno like they did on Toews because it was painful to watch Toews still doing his captain/leader thing when he was gassed at the end. Foligno caving would be bad for this team due to the leadership role he has been given.

LR to the best of his ability looked at the standings and realized the Hawks are slipping and tried to change things up. All those focusing on the decision made were disappointed because those who ended up on the ice as a result of the decision weren't the reasons the Hawks lost tonight. Instead it was the leaders on the team who disappointed.

Mr. Captain mentioned in his pgi the slow start and how it has been a thing. Why doesn't he have them starting fast? He was part of the slow start tonight, and Seth Jones and Murphy each had bad games tonight as well. With the roster they have, this is a not a top half team. The question of how bad it is will be determined by how well they play bottom tier teams.

I wouldn't worry about Bedard yet. He is facing a little frustration, and obviously hates losing. Let's see how he handles it.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
great argument.
I watched a bunch of guys do exactly that for the terrible Hawks teams during the dark days. On shitty teams, you're going to have D playing top 4 minutes when they shouldn't be. That's a huge reason those teams are shitty to begin with.

Bryan Marchment is a pretty spot on example from BWC.

Jassen Cullimore played over 800 games in the NHL...

Hal Gill is another plug who played over 1000 games.

Minute eating SAH defensemen have always had a place in the league, because on garbage teams, someone has to play those minutes.

And let's not forget that Richardson, for a 7th overall pick, is a colossal bust.

belfour30

Blackhawks Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I watched a bunch of guys do exactly that for the terrible Hawks teams during the dark days. On shitty teams, you're going to have D playing top 4 minutes when they shouldn't be. That's a huge reason those teams are shitty to begin with.

Bryan Marchment is a pretty spot on example from BWC.

Jassen Cullimore played over 800 games in the NHL...

Hal Gill is another plug who played over 1000 games.

Minute eating SAH defensemen have always had a place in the league, because on garbage teams, someone has to play those minutes.

And let's not forget that Richardson, for a 7th overall pick, is a colossal bust.
Jassen Cullimore.......eek!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
lol no he's not. Even just raw points alone, he's 24th in his draft class, which obviously wasn't his game. Someone named Wayne McBean went 4th overall that.

Some of your guys' obsession with this dude is a bit.... odd. Talk about missing the forest for the trees.

statswatcher

the smartest guy in athens knows he's dumb
Jul 27, 2022
On shitty teams, you're going to have D playing top 4 minutes when they shouldn't be.
okay, so how does that explain the several times he played top four and even top two minutes on playoff teams? were they just shitty playoff teams so they don't count?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
lol no he's not. Even just raw points alone, he's 24th in his draft class, which obviously wasn't his game. Someone named Wayne McBean went 4th overall that.

Some of your guys' obsession with this dude is a bit.... odd. Talk about missing the forest for the trees.
Are you telling me that if we got 7th overall this year and drafted Luke Richardson that you wouldn’t be pissed?

He’s 24th in points because drafting was so much worse back then. If you were small you literally didn’t get drafted back then. Didn’t matter if you could skate. So many wasted picks by teams because some plug was big and physical.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
okay, so how does that explain the several times he played top four and even top two minutes on playoff teams? were they just shitty playoff teams so they don't count?
Several times? lol. It was two seasons with Philly. That's it.

Their defense in the playoffs the season they went to the conference finals:

Eric Desjardins
Chris Therian
Luke Richardson
Dan McGillis
Andy Delmore
Adam Burt
Mark Eaton

I mean, f***ing lol

He was a plug.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Are you telling me that if we got 7th overall this year and drafted Luke Richardson that you wouldn’t be pissed?
It's called having realistic expectations. Yes, this might be a newsflash for some of you guys, but every Top 10 pick doesn't turn into a superstar. In fact, very few do.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

When he was drafted, he was hyped as a franchise defender

There is a reason that Luke Schenn is compared to him

He never lived up to hype and built career as just a guy when at his best

statswatcher

the smartest guy in athens knows he's dumb
Jul 27, 2022
he was on eight different playoff teams in his career btw. for the oilers in 91-92 he was a regular matchup against gretzky's line at age 23. ah, but he was a -1 in that series he played against the greatest points scorer by raw numbers in nhl history. guess he was just a coach pleasing bum.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Their defense in the playoffs the season they went to the conference finals:

Eric Desjardins
Chris Therian
Luke Richardson
Dan McGillis
Andy Delmore
Adam Burt
Mark Eaton

I mean, f***ing lol

He was a plug.
Mike Blunden was a plug. Mackenzie Entwistle is a plug, Isaak Phillips is a plug.

Richardson was just a dude in the League. He's in the Top 50 in NHL Career Games Played. You don't stick around NHL lineups that long as a "plug" unless your definition of "plug" is just so overly broad and stupid that it's completely irrelevant.

Reactions: statswatcher

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Mike Blunden was a plug. Mackenzie Entwistle is a plug, Isaak Phillips is a plug.

Richardson was just a dude in the League. He's in the Top 50 in NHL Career Games Played. You don't stick around NHL lineups that long as a "plug" unless your definition of "plug" is just so overly broad and stupid that it's completely irrelevant.

He played about a hundred more games than Ken Danyeko

Like Danyeko his career was prolonged as a useless plug helping to destroy the league via trap/clutch and grab garbage hockey

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I only watched highlights FWIW, but I f***ing hate Seth Jones on this team.

He was on for seemingly all of the goals and while they weren't technically all his fault, he is such a nonchalant, slow reacting floater man. No intensity or IQ to his game.

So annoying because he has all the tools. But it seems not the brain or the heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad