canucks fan with a comment

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Greenlay is abhorrent. Listening to him try and piece together sentences is painful and I can't believe that FSN isn't embarrassed to have him on staff. His use of idioms and explanations is so ineloquent that it makes the broadcasts awkward to watch. If they ever put out the option for game and arena sounds only, I would be first in line to pay for it.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I actually really like LaPanta. He has a great speaking voice, he doesn't BS, he does his job and goes with the play by play. Sure, he gets excited when we score but so do I so it works. lol

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
+1 for Walz; the stuff he says between periods is some of the better commentary I've heard. The guy knows/understands hockey.

Plus we wouldn't have to watch his hands anymore.

The Wild could upgrade from failed comedy clown in Greenie to serious color commentary.

Chorske is a dunce.

Giles Ferrell

#believeinyeo
Mar 24, 2013
Minnesota
Hi everyone,

Sorry, I try not to go into other teams' message boards but I just wanted to compliment the Wild commentators on the Fox Sports channel. I'm a teacher who moved to China for the year so I purchased NHL Vault to catch replays of games. For people who don't know, you can't watch your own commentators for the road games. So for all the Canucks road games I have to watch the other team's broadcast.

I just wanted to say that so far I find the Wild commentators to be the most neutral and it's just nice to see a game called down the middle like that even though they're affliated with the Wild team. For Canucks broadcasts I like our commentator but our colour guy is a blatant homer (John Garrett)... I just wish they'd replace him with someone like your TV colour guy. So yeah, it's just refreshing to see and I wish more teams had guys like that as their commentators.

And it's especially impressive because as a commentator of one team it's hard not to fall in love with that team because you see the players and their games day in and day out. But these guys seem to have it figured out.

Anyways, that's all I wanted to say.

Mind implosion

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
+1 for Walz; the stuff he says between periods is some of the better commentary I've heard. The guy knows/understands hockey.

Plus we wouldn't have to watch his hands anymore.

The Wild could upgrade from failed comedy clown in Greenie to serious color commentary.

Chorske is a dunce.

:biglaugh:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i told you guys...if you think our duo is bad you haven't spent enough time watching other broadcasts. one or two here or there doesn't give you an accurate picture. we're middle of the road at worst.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I listened to almost a full period of Kurtz the other day and I really like him but one thing I noticed is he says 'hockey game' about 50 times per game :laugh: Bob, I think we know it's a hockey game at this point.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Not a big LaPanta fan but Greenlay and Chorske are much worse at their jobs. Someone really needs to talk to LaPanta about his goal call though, it's just terrible.

Count me among the Joe Buck haters, the guy has a great voice but he's insufferable.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
its really only greenlay, he points out good calls on the wild when our building roars with boo's, and other things like that during the games, Lapanta just agree's usually, But god i hate him. Even if i like his Neutral bias, i cant stand to listen to him all game, he needs to go.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Not a big LaPanta fan but Greenlay and Chorske are much worse at their jobs. Someone really needs to talk to LaPanta about his goal call though, it's just terrible.

Count me among the Joe Buck haters, the guy has a great voice but he's insufferable.

LOL, couldn't agree more.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Greenlay is abhorrent. Listening to him try and piece together sentences is painful and I can't believe that FSN isn't embarrassed to have him on staff. His use of idioms and explanations is so ineloquent that it makes the broadcasts awkward to watch. If they ever put out the option for game and arena sounds only, I would be first in line to pay for it.

that would be the greatest thing ever.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
LaPanta still annoys the hell out of me. He can't seem to go a full game without mis-pronouncing a name. His goal call is bland and emotionless - it's just louder and his voice is still nails on a chalkboard to me.

I really hope we overhaul just about everyone involved with FSN. Walz is fine, and the new woman is a pleasant surprise, but everyone else ranges from mediocre to terrible.

I just want some people who sound like they have an ounce of passion for the game. LaPanta still has zero emotion to his voice, the bad pronunciation, etc... I just can't stand him...

Mumbler*

Lapanta is horribly undescriptive for a play by play guy and as others have pointed out is basically monotone.

Greenlay sounds like his brain may explode when he tries to talk. Search........ing......for.......next......word....herecomeshalfasentencequickly...woah.....um.... Goalie talk..... laugh.

Such a gomer.

Milty

Feb 2, 2013
The only reason I can stand Lapanta is his side kick is so bad. I agree his goal call is annoying. Greenlay got hit in the head by to many pucks. The idiot laughs at everything like a boy crazed school girl. I can't even drink watching the game because he gets me so worked up I'm afraid I'm going to throw my drink through the TV. No to Chorske and Waltz also.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Greenlay is... adorkable, somehow. He certainly doesn't belong in the booth, but I couldn't imagine the commentary without him either.

Brunette could work as a colour guy. Or Waltz.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
neither of those guys is...what's the word? gregarious enough to be the color guy anywhere. Walz is very serious and Bruno is too dry/low key.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
I was neutral about Lapanta, just another talking head, I thought. Now I can't stand the guy. You have to watch the game because he does a terrible job describing what's happening. Funny how people who were so freaked out and up in arms hating on him are now OK with him! What happened to all the nonsense about boycotts and email campaigns, etc?

Kris Chreider

Pass Off The Pads
Aug 17, 2012
NYC/Minneapolis
Do we really need the Fox Sports North Girls? It's incredibly irritating when I see them EVERY commercial break. I get it, it attracts male viewers to other shows but I'm here to watch hockey.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
I haven't been as annoyed with LaPanta as I thought I would be. Granted, I haven't seen too many games on TV yet this season.
I think LaPanta has done a better job this year than when he did the Gophers. Maybe that is just low expectations or he just didn't care about college hockey. There are times when he messes up or mispronounces names, but it's rare enough where it shows up as human error.

What this year has really shown is a lot of our frustration at Terhaar was misplaced. He wasn't the best yet neither LaPanta nor him have gotten much out of Greenlay. It's the Barry Melrose system of analyzing in vague terms.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
I think LaPanta is OK, but one thing drives me nuts. When the other team scores I hate how unenthusiastic he is. Yes, of course he is not supposed to be happy, but the way he announces the other team scoring is like he is telling his kids that their dog has to be put to sleep. Maybe it is just me, but it seems so strange to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad